Redian新闻
>
APAD: There is no substitute for hard work

APAD: There is no substitute for hard work

最西边的岛上
楼主 (文学城)
Meaning:  If you want to achieve something in life you have to be willing to put in the work required to achieve it.

Origin: it was mentioned in 1925 New Yorker: Thomas A. Edison once said, “There is no substitute for hard work.” However earlier references make clear that it was James J. Hill. In the article "Handling Men For the Big Results" in March 1908 “System” magazine, it stated: "There's no substitute for hard work in business, says James J. Hill"。And so on ...
------------------------------------------------------------
Please don't get me wrong, I didn't abandon dear piglet Wilbur, but just want to go back to the basics. Actually I heard today's APAD from a group of high school students, who were having lunch on a park bench when we happend to walk by.  

I did my share of hard work too. It was the wisdom from Wilbur the pig and Charlotte the spider which helped me last that long in the office (in my last work group, there was no other female besides me for 8 long years).  When I stopped working, my physical health already took a big hit from those long and intense hours.  It took me more than 5 years to recover afterwards.

Things are very different in current times, with AI approaching and moving into everything everywhere all at once. But I still believe humans should be the ones in control. We can use AI to assist, but we shoudn't let machines overtake our heads, and never our souls.

Thank You!  

Below are a couple pictures I took yesterday in a park (with the 8 years old non-phone-funciton iPhone, as usual :-)

暖冬cool夏
2 楼
The reward for good work is more work:) Let's be Wilbur:))
最西边的岛上
3 楼
actually Wilbur not lazy @all forApig, he just likes 2think
天边一片白云
4 楼
+1. It is not bad thing for young people to do more work.
天边一片白云
5 楼
I have a same old iPhone with you. I am debating if I should
天边一片白云
6 楼
Get a new model. 担心有好的相机也照不出移花那样的好照片。
最西边的岛上
7 楼
和移花兄比摄影?下辈子也没门儿哈 ;-)))
天边一片白云
8 楼
哈哈。that is why 我就用旧手机算了。
最西边的岛上
9 楼
你的还可以打电话吧?我是捡儿子的,被米国某公司锁住,不能电话,只能GPS和瞎照。perfect for Wilbur;)
7grizzly
10 楼
Meaningful work vs. repetitive, soul-depleting waste of life
7grizzly
11 楼
Malcolm X copied a whole dictionary in prison.
最西边的岛上
12 楼
my last job was at Cisco. building internet is meaningful
最西边的岛上
13 楼
but only to a certain degree ... ...
最西边的岛上
14 楼
let's give all repetitive, soul-depleting work to AI !!! ;-)
7grizzly
15 楼
IMO, AI's just matching/making patterns out of databases.
移花接木
16 楼
Indeed
最西边的岛上
17 楼
ThxSir! ;-)
最西边的岛上
18 楼
so they might have brains, but Never Ever Can Have A Soul !!
妖妖灵
19 楼
I doubt it:)

Are you just keeping yourself busy and not taking the time to improve how you do work?

最西边的岛上
20 楼
haha, but U must have worked very hard during residency.
移花接木
21 楼
His1%inspiration 99%perspiration quote reflects same opinion
最西边的岛上
22 楼
okay. Thx to T.E. then ;-)
相关阅读
五月芳菲沙枣花A few cast collective repercussions a racial group莫把夕阳当朝阳,谈谈从苏联兴起,到俄乌战争的历史轨迹大家怎么看NVIDIA 老黄对于 hard work/grit 的推崇?人生总需要一段【浮夸】长篇小说连载《此世,此生》第五十九章三《歌德堡变奏曲1572》Simply buy and hold QQQ will beat 95% peopleThey Hitched a Ride Home From Work. Then, Tragedy Struck.《欢乐颂》有人看吗?遭遇大丹犬【求职战报】全球金融交易平台Deutsche Börse Systems销售运营面试邀约!In Analysis: Lawsuit Sparks Debate on China’s Therapy Standards刚才刷到一个抖音,80%有75米美元的人说他们的退休财务上是没有安全感。How People With Disabilities Are Confronting the Future of WorkChina Faces Another Blisteringly Hot Summer, Experts Warn鸢尾花,美丽奥妙不同学生群体的分数比较The Firefighter Documenting Sichuan’s Plateau Forest Fires刚刚(北京时间2024年5月1日凌晨),2024年度泰晤士高等教育亚洲大学排名重磅发布长篇家庭伦理小说 《嫁接》 第二十一章 初来乍到(1)&(2)MSC Meraviglia 邮轮加勒比巴哈马游侧记《歌德堡变奏曲1573》Work in Progress: The Changing Face of China’s Migrant Workforce中国南方几个省被恶性“非洲大蜗牛”入侵,接触后会得皮炎,脑炎甚至死亡 zt《歌德堡变奏曲1574》For China’s Workers, 2024 Is the Year of Staying Put警惕:妄想性障碍投资中国scRNAseq complementary急救中心派车,车内连上心电监护,开放通道并输液,给血......双林奇案录第三部之蛇链: 第二十六节以文会友还是以文找仇-文学城各种贴老朽, 在旧的理财版你有放过房屋租赁合同的空白版大家推荐几个现在特别好的信用卡,开卡福利多,特别适合旅游山野踏青黄绿蓝 - 赏心悦目是春天been there, done that about DT被车撞了以后,颈部的问题Extreme Weather Battered China in 2023. This Year Could Be Worse【亲情万千】鲁冰花
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。