Redian新闻
>
At the restaurant

At the restaurant

盈盈一笑间
楼主 (文学城)

Chinese Customers Think Their Waiter Is American... But When He Takes Their Order...

超级实用的点餐 英语,看完就立刻能流利地用英语点餐啦

看英文菜單,用英文點菜

renqiulan
2 楼
For a non-native English speaker, the major challenge is not
renqiulan
3 楼
so much the language barrier per se. Rather, it is
renqiulan
4 楼
the side of cultural assimilation in the equation. I'm not
renqiulan
5 楼
saying that American culture is necessarily a model culture.
盈盈一笑间
6 楼
Your thought is insightful. 秋兰. Cultural assimilation indeed
盈盈一笑间
7 楼
pose huge challenges for us. eg. communication Styles.
盈盈一笑间
8 楼
Different cultures have different communication styles.
盈盈一笑间
9 楼
Native speakers also often use idioms, slang,etc.
盈盈一笑间
10 楼
美坛现在的PAPD, 还有之前的One Idiom。都是非常好的练习。欢迎大家积极参加。
renqiulan
11 楼
Hi, 盈盈! I'm just speaking my mind, never mind that I might
renqiulan
12 楼
"offend" people inadvertently. I have had quite a good
renqiulan
13 楼
experience of cultural assimilation when learning Chinese,
renqiulan
14 楼
all things considered. The bottom line is that one should
renqiulan
15 楼
have every right to preserve his/her cultural identity when
renqiulan
16 楼
picking up a foreign language.
盈盈一笑间
17 楼
When it comes to preserving cultural identity, 秋兰
盈盈一笑间
18 楼
You've done well. You connect with us, Chinese community,
盈盈一笑间
19 楼
through online platform 文学城美语世界。

盈盈一笑间
20 楼
That's something I may learn from you.

renqiulan
21 楼
We are learning from each other. The best thing about
renqiulan
22 楼
American culture is this: we can always agree to disagree.
盈盈一笑间
23 楼
Certainly! "Agree to disagree"
renqiulan
24 楼
In my opinion, these are the most powerful English words:
renqiulan
25 楼
I BEG TO DIFFER.
renqiulan
26 楼
Goodnight, 盈盈!
盈盈一笑间
27 楼
I hear you. Thanks 4 sharing.
盈盈一笑间
28 楼
Goodnight, 秋兰!
Oona
29 楼
yeah, it's a very convenient one:-)

one time at a family party, friends asked about who is elder, my husband or his brother. Brother said my husband is the firstborn but himself the better looking. i immediately raised my hand and said: i beg to differ!! :--))

everybody was chuckled out :-)

方外居士
30 楼
Thanks for sharing. 餐厅点菜有时确实不知道点了什么。
盈盈一笑间
31 楼
哈哈,谢谢分享生动的例子。你英语这么好。期待更多分享呀。:))
盈盈一笑间
32 楼
是哒。最让我抓狂的是,韩国餐馆。一堆韩文,再加英文,彻底懵圈~~
爱听歌的奥黛丽
33 楼
第一个视频好好笑!这位小哥真有语言天赋。
盈盈一笑间
34 楼
哈哈,确实很逗。据说上过央视的。太有语言天赋了~~
偶尔出世
35 楼
Agreed. Cultural intelligence is important in communication

There is a very good book called "The Culture Map" goes into depth to explain the how culture plays a significant role in shaping minds, communication, and the way people use their languages.

Adding to it, I share part of an impromptu speech I made a while back ago, it happened to touch on this topic.

"Cultural difference has its deep root in languages. There are 700K words in English but there are only about 150K words in French , what does that tell us? That tells us people from UK have more words to express themselves in a more explicit way than French people do, who would have to use combinations of fewer words to express the same idea. In that sense, British usually mean what they say, French expect you to read between the lines.

In the same vein, same word can mean two different things, depending on the geographic region or culture. An extreme example (is) gift in English means present whereas gift in German means poison. When a Portuguese says “am I understood?”, he is trying to be as polite as possible, while this very same phrase is usually said by a senior to their subordinates in United States. When I say interesting, I perhaps mean I am neutral or even slightly negative about an idea. When a Dutch says the same, they mean they really like the idea." 

相关阅读
感叹一下,一会儿删,这世上就是旱的旱死,澇的澇死谁能看出来,这是什么果儿?苏三她离了洪洞县,大王押着去巡山【囧囧有神】《往日时光》讲个有点惊悚的亲身经历悲歌一曲哀李煜 - 兼談海外從政最新英语月刊分享:The Atlantic《大西洋月刊》2023年10月《谢谢你,上海!》「犹太难民与上海」展览来纽约啦脑内障的症状是发出动物的叫声一颗倒下的树,体现出来美国精神和力量:不是靠政府,而是靠每个人的参与诺贝尔医学奖将归于2名科学家,他们的工作促成了抗击新冠病毒的mRNA疫苗的创造Fuchsia Dunlop on the Past, Present, and Future of Chinese Food【囧囧有神】《默》【笑对中秋月 — 心安之处是家乡 】2023年10月22日历史上的今天发球郁金香,君子兰,到元宇宙,总有一款适合你2023年10月22日价格早报第八章 现代社会的诞生 (3)有一种浪费叫美国式浪费别说言之不预【囧囧有神】《江河恋》思念月下故乡江河【冯站长之家】2023年10月22日(周日)三分钟新闻早餐谁能看出来,这是什么肉如祺出行、飞天兆业,拟香港/美国上市,备案补充材料要求(2023年10月7日—2023年10月12日)总领馆领事证件处2023年9月29日、10月2日、10月3日放假通知南方人长得矮是因为气候,天气热吗?。。非也。。非也心若兰兮终不移【喜欢你】by 发飙这次得诺贝尔奖的 Katalin Karikó2023年10月22日医疗晨报Ode to Sea Creatures人在江湖 – 步步惊心分手后9旬老人去前女友家放火被判刑【冯站长说安全】2023年10月22日刀郎当年在旧金山举办演唱会接受采访时怎样看待音乐选秀类节目及为啥拒绝作此类节目的导师都说睡觉是最好的良药,可多睡几小时竟然比平时多了2磅体重《生命之恋》&《思慕》《寻找夏朝 之一 举国之力的华夏寻根行动》枫林 Mission improvisable墨尔本免费万圣节活动:The Haunted Theatre!10月28日开启!5129 血壮山河之武汉会战 信罗战役 2
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。