Redian新闻
>
APAD: Hands in the dirt, Head in the sun, Heart with nature

APAD: Hands in the dirt, Head in the sun, Heart with nature

最西边的岛上
楼主 (文学城)
This beautiful gardening qoute was part of the phrase: “The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just the body, but the soul.” by English poet Alfred Austin (1835 – 1913).

Our own backyard has about 20 big trees. We love the them, but can't grow much vegtables nor fruits due to the lack of sunshine.  So instead we enjoy the rooftop garden at our son's condo.   

The first year we were too late; The 2nd year the soil was not nutricious enough. So we put lots of leaves inside the soil last fall,  added sea soil on top of it in early spring, and planted beans, cucumbers, hot peppers, tomatos, and mixed green vegs (kale, chard, ...), in addition to the green onions, Chinese chives, two types of strawberries that were there from last year.

Right now, the "everbearing" strawberries already have started producing (see picture) and will continue so until September, and the green vegs keep producing enough for one or two meals every 3 days (also see picture).  But we leave the green onions for its flowers and are waiting for the chives to recover (not sure what happened to them over last winter). 

Have a wonderful weekend and be happy wherever you are!

View of the gardens from the left

View of the garden from the right

Strawberry time! (the last and smallest one out of 4, note my hand is small too :-)

Green vegs harvested 

7grizzly
2 楼
Nice! I grew herbs & found egg shells enrich soil very well.
暖冬cool夏
3 楼
Rooftop has the best sun. I love gardening 2. Mine is small.
妖妖灵
4 楼
I start to enjoy gardening now!My chives just sprout!
妖妖灵
5 楼
请到楼下看Dandelions,天上掉馅饼到你头上,你的大名也在其中!:)
最西边的岛上
6 楼
Very nice!
最西边的岛上
7 楼
our plot is small2, but we got 4 ofThem (others notUsing) ;)
7grizzly
8 楼
Earthbound 馅饼 rocketed from an estrella and made a bee-line
7grizzly
9 楼
toward my head :-)))
7grizzly
10 楼
The patience of Job you must have!
最西边的岛上
11 楼
灵美眉, it was my Thx to 7G & he deserves it ;-)
妖妖灵
12 楼
赶紧感谢一下谁给你的馅饼?!

• which shelter us from thunderstorm and hailstorm - 最西边的岛上 -    (0 bytes) (5 reads) 05/22/2024  15:13:10 

• 如果这句能用的话,算7G兄的哈;-),因为我已经蹭过两次他的新闻填空了。谢谢! - 最西边的岛上 -    (0 bytes) (1 reads) 05/22/2024  15:33:42

最西边的岛上
13 楼
hahaha, :-)))
最西边的岛上
14 楼
No no, it was a work exchange, so no thx needed @all !!!
7grizzly
15 楼
馅饼's great, but any dumplings left?
7grizzly
16 楼
Sure. As deserving as Alfred Dolittle as in My Fair Lady :-)
最西边的岛上
17 楼
I use eggShell on indoorPlants, myNeighbour felt it was
最西边的岛上
18 楼
really funny, like I was hatching chicks from the shell:)))
天边一片白云
19 楼
wow. You got so many garden plot on the roof.
天边一片白云
20 楼
I noticed in Vancouver, there are lots of community garden .
天边一片白云
21 楼
Might be same in Victoria.
最西边的岛上
22 楼
I only have4 (ours+3 from notUsing neighbours)
最西边的岛上
23 楼
Yes, we have lotsNice ones here, blessed by mild weather.
妖妖灵
24 楼
植物的根会不会钻入房顶?
7grizzly
25 楼
I’m stunned by their unbound innocence:-)))
移花接木
26 楼
Don't forget arm sunburns.
妖妖灵
27 楼
你不觉得楼下那首dandelions很好听很好玩?:)
最西边的岛上
28 楼
good point. thx.
最西边的岛上
29 楼
there's protection in plot bottom + vegs' roots are small
相关阅读
2024年5月25日星期六RELO北京英语教学研讨会美国新冠后记随笔:办公室的故事春天里的一杯浓酿Demand for Insurance Is Rising in China, Report FindsAPAD: To thine own self be true11年级连发三篇 nature 和 science 的学生,确实应该全拒APAD: discretion is the better part of valour【好好爱国】之Don't Break My Heart悼先父APAD: I will hold you accountable刚刚(北京时间2024年5月1日凌晨),2024年度泰晤士高等教育亚洲大学排名重磅发布Nature的编辑们将大规模罢工!或将导致Nature在155年间首次发生缺刊!并且除了Nature,还有超60本期刊将联合罢工[旅游] Día de la Independencia | 2017年9月游墨西哥城第3-4天APAD: The day we remember what we are ;APAD: Play ducks and drakesAPAD:You are what you think.APAD: Curiosity killed the cat, butAPAD: Don't upset the applecartAPAD:Never say mean words out of anger. Happy Easter!APAD: Uneasy lies the head that wears a crownAPAD: close the stable door after the horse has boltedUnforgivable Blackness 4 Rising The Jack Johnson Story历史上总统身边的一些趣事Chinese Parents Turn to ‘Magic Potions’ to Help Kids Run FasterAPAD: If wishes were horses, beggars would rideYoung Chinese Have Almost No Concerns About AI, Survey Finds46、长篇家庭伦理小说《嫁接 下》第十六章 千里姻缘(1)收获APAD: The Dark SideAPAD: Still waters run deep战争前后的少男少女们(二)APAD: Road Apples固定收益 | 【REITs深度观察】估值与基本面的背离——公募REITs2024年5月报把个盒子煎成了这样(the heart of leek & dog hiking)Melodies of Spring in JiangnanEducationUSA 2024 美国大学展-首站:上海,2024年5月18日(周六)9:00-17:00你会买N年前的笔记本吗?笔记本CPU性能释放天梯图 2024年5月26日Chanticleer花园,春天色彩APAD: Bad money drives out good.APAD: The Bravest, The Strongest, The Happiest
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。