Redian新闻
>
APAD: Still waters run deep

APAD: Still waters run deep

最西边的岛上
楼主 (文学城)

It's normally used to say that people who are quiet or shy are often very intelligent and interesting.  But there is another meaning as explained below (per dear Wikipedia):

Still waters run deep is a proverb of Latin origin now commonly taken to mean that a placid exterior hides a passionate or subtle nature. Formerly it also carried the warning that silent people are dangerous, as in Suffolk's comment on a fellow lord in William Shakespeare's play Henry VI part 2:

Smooth runs the water where the brook is deep, And in his simple show he harbours treason... No, no, my sovereign, Gloucester is a man Unsounded yet and full of deep deceit.

According to The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs, the first mention of the proverb appeared in Classical times in the form altissima quaeque flumina minimo sono labi (the deepest rivers flow with least sound) in a history of Alexander the Great by Quintus Rufus Curtius and is there claimed as being of Bactrian origin. The earliest use in English sources goes back to 1400.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't need to look far to find people who are quiet but very intelligent and interesting, as there are two who live with me in my home now: my hubby and Maowi the cat.  In addition to that, I did often run into and be friends with such people at work.  I couldn't explain the attraction, but just felt trust and admiration towards them, and felt safe around them. Hope you also have such friends in your lives.   

Picture below is Maowi the cat waiting for his "Good Friday" breakfast quietlyHappy Friday everybody!

妖妖灵
2 楼
静水流深。喜怒不形于色。
7grizzly
3 楼
Treason and deceit abound in a quiet person, the bard
7grizzly
4 楼
seemed to say. So stay away :-)
移花接木
5 楼
becareful quiet people
移花接木
6 楼
barking dogs seldom bite. quiet dogs bite
7grizzly
7 楼
Yes. And don't forget rabies :-))
移花接木
8 楼
wild creatures, racoon, skunk, are the main carriers,
最西边的岛上
9 楼
是的,面静如镜,暗涌在下哈!
7grizzly
10 楼
Plus those who are drunk as a skunk :-))
最西边的岛上
11 楼
Yes, stay away, stay alert, stay safe, stay alive!
最西边的岛上
12 楼
I have yet to meet one dog who would bite me, quiet or not
最西边的岛上
13 楼
but never say never ;-)
最西边的岛上
14 楼
It takes time to tell the difference between the good &
最西边的岛上
15 楼
the bad quiet ones. ;-)
唐宋韵
16 楼
Introvert and weird people may be dangerous,
唐宋韵
17 楼
either to him/herself, or others.
最西边的岛上
18 楼
Possibly true, but I like to give them benefit of the doubt

as I like quiet (but not too wired) people. 

相关阅读
【参会指南】2024(第二届)合成生物学与生物医学健康大会3月29日开幕!大雁鲑鱼Suno为星坛而写?意大利风格,今天多发了1帖:)省州税的策略恭喜拿到OFFER的诸位家长,请问有没有标考不完美,年级排名也不在前几名的拿到名校?欢乐的旧金山之夜【怀念巨星】暖场《追梦人》追逐梦想的人米尔斯海默论天下 (上)温哥华Sun RunAdidas会员大促超好价,Ultraboost Light只要$57,Swift Run $21绿色金融 | 2024政府工作报告:大力发展绿色低碳经济——绿色金融月报(2024年3月)2024年3月29-31日吉利根博士线上带领你《让爱回家》:三代人疗愈——父母&伴侣&孩子破车但是全保,这个值不值的claim , 好像周末买菜进商店后被hit and run 了。《追风者》沈近真 有惊无险[干货] stepmother(继母)的 step 为啥表示“继”?【倒计时1天】2024(第二届)合成生物学与生物医学健康大会3月29日开幕!汇报一下今天“10 mile“ run.顶着再不参加跑团活动就被除名的压力,终于完成了2024年中国区STEP报名已经开始,距离考试已不足3月!杨紫琼在白宫获得总统自由勋章|大规模枪击案嫌犯之父放火烧亲|2024年Broad Street Run指南汪小姐的“外语学院”Freezers Full of Dead Tigers Found Inside Chinese Zoo与一个建商有关的一些事儿租房遇到烦心事紫檀上看到的都是横扫牛娃,现实跟这差太远恭喜报喜的牛娃们!央视:革命家、作家、书法家马识途去世 享年110岁再回首 (三十二)阿根廷马德林港(Puerto Madryn),穿梭小城写在星期一趁热纪录一下,刚加入跑团兴致勃勃又参加周二的活动,人生第一个trail run 13公里.意大利共產黨員托尼刚刚,交易所公布最新IPO排队名单(截止到2024年3月25日)​好担心啤酒瓶会掉在大哥头上...老照片 | 1955年,大陈岛国民党军队溃退#音乐连接你我#美国原住民乐队SIHASIN北京站音乐会,2024年3月25日,周一,20:0041、长篇家庭伦理小说《嫁接》第十章 不期而遇(2)美国新冠后记随笔:病毒年开学季随笔小话素食我和我的房客(1)没想到藤校录取是这样的
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。