Redian新闻
>
Thanksgiving: a story unfolds

Thanksgiving: a story unfolds

renqiulan
楼主 (文学城)

From "Old England" the Pilgrims barely made it to America through treacherous waters. They established the Plymouth Colony in today's New England in 1620.

As reflected in their Mayflower Compact, the first instinct of the surviving Pilgrims was to go on surviving collectively. All for one and one for all. Sharing and caring sounded so promising. Soon enough, the Colony turned itself into a collective farm. An authority came into being, centrally planning and regulating everything for everybody. A people's commune debuted in the name of God.

Playing God, the authority ran afoul of human nature. Folks fought central planning like hell. They insisted on keeping what they labored for---after tax. That way, they reasoned, free producers would be much more able to help the less fortunate. After all, as the proverb goes, "charity begins at home." With it, a homegrown idea of small government loomed big. Personal liberty became respectable.

That's when and where the spirit of free enterprise was coming into play among the Pilgrims, which in due course underlied the Declaration of Independence of 1776

Happy Thanksgiving!

Author: renqiulan 

盈盈一笑间
2 楼
沙发!秋兰,感恩节快乐!占位点赞。:))

在朋友家聚餐。等回家再仔细看帖。

暖冬cool夏
3 楼
All for one and one for all. 人人为我,我为人人。秋兰好文!
CBA7
4 楼
秋兰,Happy Thanksgiving! Thank you for the Thanksgiving story!
CBA7
5 楼
From "Old England" to New England,
CBA7
6 楼
the spirit of free enterprise is the key.
方外居士
7 楼
Thanks for introducing the origin of “free enterprise “
盈盈一笑间
8 楼
In the journey to Boston this summer, I visited the place
盈盈一笑间
9 楼
where the Mayflower landed and reflected on American history
盈盈一笑间
10 楼
of that time. Also on my travel, I met a local American
盈盈一笑间
11 楼
couple whose daughter-in-law was of Chinese descent and
盈盈一笑间
12 楼
a graduate of MIT. I even got a Thanksgiving greeting from
盈盈一笑间
13 楼
them yesterday.

Happy Thanksgiving from Plymouth

renqiulan
14 楼
Happy Black Friday to you!
renqiulan
15 楼
Thank you! That motto comes from "The Three Musketeers."
renqiulan
16 楼
Happy Black Friday to you!
renqiulan
17 楼
We may not be living among the Pilgrims, but the Pilgrims
renqiulan
18 楼
are always living among us, figuratively speaking.
renqiulan
19 楼
Happy Black Friday to you. Yes, free enterprise is the
renqiulan
20 楼
greatest Thanksgiving gift for Americans.
renqiulan
21 楼
So you're close to my neighborhood. Such a small world!
卫宁
22 楼
Happy Thanksgiving!
相关阅读
总领馆领事证件处2023年11月23、24日放假通知看病国内还是方便一点,不是钱的问题Woolworths本周最新打折图表1月24日--1月30日!Woolworths Orange Friday黑五促销最新打折图表 11月22日---11月28日!Happy Thanksgiving! 做了头发过节:感谢各位导师,拉拉队,点评家,记者,学员的参与!一碗带高压电的【大碗宽面】给大家加餐!唯老是尊——中国养老现状及探讨(二)感恩节快乐!【唱坛好声音】【专题报道之二】海选第二天那红豆,那玫瑰读莎翁剧本的联想Thanksgiving is coming ,,,一百五十二 病休美国感恩节的由来 The Origin of Thanksgiving2023【唱坛好声音】战队组建进度In a Changing World, China Rethinks ‘China Studies’《一生守候》《I Give You Silver, You Give Me Gold》《我给你银,你给我金》Happy Thanksgiving to All感恩改革开放!最忆映山红《尘封档案》拾零:港澳飞贼盗故宫——感恩节特刊——Happy Thanksgiving Day to EveryoneWoolworths 11月22日-11月28日打折图册Preparing for the 2023 Tax Year: Ensuring a Strong Tax Saving?11月必看!“新世界三大男高音”Juan Diego Flórez首次亮相澳洲!第十一章第二节 金融资本和货币政策老外说的“Thanks but no thanks”到底是“谢谢”还是“不谢”?Woolworths 11月22日-11月28日打折,生鸡半价6014 血壮山河之随枣会战 南昌之战 7【听歌练听力】【It's A Man‘s Man‘s Man‘s World】答案和歌曲简介看Vivian 转的视频和为人父转的柴静《和圣战分子对话》视频《鸽子》打歌海选导师间期跑个龙套,古巴民歌小合唱The Thanksgiving Songs現在的網路世界有點冷清Macy's Thanksgiving Day感觉今年搞的很盛大的样子一百五十一 拜年夏婳:两情难相知(十三)陈炯明致电孙文,苏俄虎狼之心,不可引狼入室,两人为此走向决裂证监会对4家企业拟香港/美国上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月5日—2024年1月11日)翔歌:【爱人送我向日葵】,大家感恩节快乐!冷冷清清的感恩节 (A quiet Thanksgiving)
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。