Redian新闻
>
韩式辣煮带鱼

韩式辣煮带鱼

waterfowl
楼主 (文学城)

Galchi Jorim - braised spicy hairtail 

Hairtail, aka beltfish and cutlassfish, is a silvery, long, flat fish with snow white flesh, delicate flavor and firm texture. It is a great tasting fish. It is a seasonal catch in Summer months, so the ones available at supermarkets are normally lightly salted. In Korea, the best hairtail come from Jeju-do, where they can grow to 2-3kg and more than a meter in length. 

When fresh, simply pan-fried, charcoal grilled or steamed can bring out maximum natural flavor and sweetness. It is also served raw in some restaurants. In salted or frozen form, Koreans have the ideal solution - galchi jorim, or braised in a fiery hot and spicy sauce with radish (the long white variety aka daikon). On cold winter days, a pot of this spicy fish, a bowl of steaming white rice, and a bottle of Makgeolli is an ethereal experience. 

In the sprawling, bustling Namdaemun market, there is a small, narrow, dimly lit alley, known as the Hairtail Alley, (带鱼胡同)crammed with a number of dilapidated looking eateries that serve some of the spiciest and tastiest galchi jorim in town. The restaurants are small and crowded, with rickety tables and chairs, slippery floors and stifling air; but the lines are long, the smell is pungent, and that is where you want to be, where you need to be.

I went by myself during the lunch hour rush and waited 40 minutes before I was ushered to the attic, the penthouse suite dining area. It was so cramped and the ceiling so low that even the smallest 南方小土豆wouldn't be able to stand upright. I literally crawled to my corner table. Now I stand at 180cm, and I was on my knees, mumbling to myself "this better be worth it". And it was! For less than ten bucks, I had myself a meal. The fish was tender, the sauce was murderously hot, my lips swelled up like a Kardashian collagen shot, I sweated like hog, and I was happy.

I've been back to the alley several times since, but not during covid-19. Hope they will be fine when this blows over.

I have made my own version of galchi jorim at home to good effect. A friend, a fishing enthusiast, went to Jeju-do for hairtail fishing and had a major haul. I was gifted with a bag of the freshest, flash-freezed about 5 or 6 fish altogether. We had pan-fried and steamed fish first, then galchi jorim to finish off the loot. I still say a prayer for him every now and then, when I have the cravings for hairtail. 

There are ready made galchi jorim sauces available at supermarkets, and they are tasty and not too spicy. Simply stew the radish for a bit, add fish, garlic, scallion, cover and let simmer. With fresh fish like that, you can't go wrong.

移花接木
2 楼
Korean style, Kimchi everything
盈盈一笑间
3 楼
a pot of this spicy fish is an ethereal experience in winter
盈盈一笑间
4 楼
Great descriptions of the food and photos to drool over
盈盈一笑间
5 楼
看完昨天的饮茶,让我想去唐人街。读完这篇,又想去韩国城。今天到底该去哪呢?苦恼ing.哈哈

盈盈一笑间
6 楼
I have Kimchi in my fridge. 吃货也
godog
7 楼
去韩国的唐人街:))
最西边的岛上
8 楼
这太下饭了吧!(所以虽然吃不多还是要)赞一个哈!
移花接木
9 楼
Kimchi constantly in fridge== typical Foodie
最西边的岛上
10 楼
再加一个让你(我)站在原地流口水的可能选择:日本餐的sushi, 哈哈哈

不过我们这里的餐馆比起温哥华都是二三等级,有些是去了一次就不会再去的

所以非常羡慕你们住在有好餐馆地方的人哈!

移花接木
11 楼
me &eating buddy; enjoyed Friday's sushi; treat...
移花接木
12 楼
treating him weekend Kimchi, happiness always the foodie!!!!
7grizzly
13 楼
Fresh's the best. I cook Godeungeo-mujorim a few times/year.
7grizzly
14 楼
Kimchi's side dish. Jorim itself doesn't call for it.
7grizzly
15 楼
I'd learn to cook it myself :-)
暖冬cool夏
16 楼
Very vivid descriptions of your dining experience in an atti
暖冬cool夏
17 楼
东海带鱼小一些,味道太好了,不是这边的大带鱼可以比的,新鲜的带鱼水里煮一下都好吃的,鲜啊!
7grizzly
18 楼
Wow. Never knew that. Need to try someday :-)
妖妖灵
19 楼
It is kind of spicy to me~
颤音
20 楼
哑谜,带鱼是东北银的最爱
万湖小舟
21 楼
Cool!
移花接木
22 楼
kimchi sides everything
移花接木
23 楼
Stanford Mobile ALOHA Lab
盈盈一笑间
24 楼
haha, 我常常在韩国店买日本sushi
盈盈一笑间
25 楼
大厨!
盈盈一笑间
26 楼
this is a good one, haha
盈盈一笑间
27 楼
难道不是有韩国人的嫌疑?LOL
相关阅读
拜拜,从此只能梦里见sending more cold emails 4 Pro-Luck证监会对4家企业拟香港上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月12日—2024年1月18日)2024年1月20日星期六RELO北京英语教学研讨会看电影《莫斯科行动》自由泳the edge of your competence knowing what you don’t know转:从互联网fever到AI浪潮~~同行~~【摄影故事活动】多伦多大学校园chipping away at a mass of stone reveals a human shape within it亲爱的婆婆大人好奇葩证监会对1家企业拟美国上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月26日—2024年2月1日)那天,你就靠在地铁的站台这么望着鹅,鱼市,鹅 在 劫 难 逃2024年1月17日(周三)冯站长之家三分钟晚间新闻【摄影故事活动】灯塔从互联网fever到AI浪潮在Lake Ballinger 钓鱼两名99后男子当街行凶被执行死刑【冯站长说安全】2024年1月17日远程买房记【忽然想到】少年维特根,独行求思坦(4)看你们撸卡,我也想去申请Marriott 卡了家居修理系列:屋顶篇(2)屋顶大观旅途中难忘的经历 落难羊角村【忽然想到】最喜欢的小人书及学唱日本《三国志》之歌证监会对4家企业拟香港/美国上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月5日—2024年1月11日)【听海】现在进高科技股:的确要有崩盘90%的心理准备。UIUC CS 是仅次于伯克利CS全美最佳性价比的offer跑步菜鸟试过的训练方法APAD: It will all come out in the wash青烟一缕入大漠(二)两个附小2024年1月17日价格早报妈妈的手机证监会对6家企业拟香港/美国上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月19日—2024年1月25日)《魅羽活佛》第366章 发情的大统领Costco最新打折图表 11月27日 - 12月24日!!!可省$1500童年故事(3):人委大院南加州最美的大城市在哪里?2024年1月20日历史上的今天
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。