Redian新闻
>
Sound boom in US Navy Blue Angels shows

Sound boom in US Navy Blue Angels shows

xia23
楼主 (文学城)

Sonic boom is an impulsive noise similar to thunder. It is caused by an object moving at the speed of sound -- about 343 meters per second or 767 miles per hour at sea level and at 68 degrees Fahrenheit.  

When two objects reach the same frequency, a phenomenon in physics called resonance occurs.

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when an object or system is subjected to an external force or vibration that matches its natural frequency. When this happens, the object or system absorbs energy from the external force and starts vibrating with a larger amplitude. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonance?

Resonance, could happen in your daily life. For example,  you turn your faucet on slowly, gradually turn the faucet handle up, so water flows out with increased speed. At a certain point the flow speed reaches the natural frequency of the copper pipe. We could hear a laud vibration sound of the pipe. Once my landlord was at this scenario, she was scared and wanted to call a plumber, I said "turn your faucet handle either up or down, you will not hear this sound any more". She did and the vibration stopped.

In an air show, this could also happen. When the jet reach the speed of the sound, you will heard a boom (the sound boom) and you will also see a cone- shaped cloud if there is enough water vapor in the air. It happened that the days were all cloudy when all my pictures were taken.  

On leveled photos (3 continuous shots, 2007):

On a chopped, sharpened photo (2008):

On a chopped, sharpend photo (2009):

On youtube (not mine):

Sonic boom is an impulsive noise similar to thunder. It is caused by an object moving at the speed of sound -- about 343 meters per second or 767 miles per hour at sea level and at 68 degrees Fahrenheit.  

When two objects reach the same frequency, a phenomenon in physics called resonance occurs.

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when an object or system is subjected to an external force or vibration that matches its natural frequency. When this happens, the object or system absorbs energy from the external force and starts vibrating with a larger amplitude. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonance?

Resonance, could happen in your daily life. For example,  you turn your faucet on slowly, gradually turn the faucet handle up, so water flows out with increased speed. At a certain point the flow speed reaches the natural frequency of the copper pipe. We could hear a laud vibration sound of the pipe. Once my landlord was at this scenario, she was scared and wanted to call a plumber, I said "turn your faucet handle either up or down, you will not hear this sound any more". She did and the vibration stopped.

In an air show, this could also happen. When the jet reach the speed of the sound, you will heard a boom (the sound boom) and you will also see a cone- shaped cloud if there is enough water vapor in the air. It happened that the days were all cloudy when all my pictures were taken.  

On leveled photos (3 continuous shots, 2007):

On a chopped, sharpened photo (2008):

On a chopped, sharpend photo (2009):

On youtube (not mine):

盈盈一笑间
2 楼
Thanks for sharing resonance in our daily life & an air show
盈盈一笑间
3 楼
"When the jet reach the speed of the sound, you will heard a
盈盈一笑间
4 楼
a boom. and you will also see a cone- shaped cloud if there
盈盈一笑间
5 楼
is enough water vapor in the air."
盈盈一笑间
6 楼
That sounds like fun. I will keep an eye on this phenomenon
盈盈一笑间
7 楼
when I go to air show next time.
移花接木
8 楼
精彩,不过这逆光几乎看不出是BlueAngel涂装,但轮廓肯定是FA-18F SuperHornet
Marauders
9 楼
It doesn't have to take sonic speed to yield/show the cone
盈盈一笑间
10 楼
看来是物理大牛。。
盈盈一笑间
11 楼
这样不是更酷嘛。有艺术感。前3张照片, 应该是文青们的茶。。
xia23
12 楼
Thank you.
xia23
13 楼
There is usually once in each air show,

in fact, only a momment in each air show. You have to be prepaired. 

You could either take a photo or a movie. You have to prepair for the exact size of your pictures. Mine were either too big (2007) or too small (2008, 2009).

7grizzly
14 楼
Is it true that resonance could bust bridges?
xia23
15 楼
谢谢,since this happened many years ago.
xia23
16 楼
Also watch that youtube video, catch the moment and

the sound, one of them might be on the site of your air show.

It is better to have at least two person: one for photo, the other for movie.

After the shots, a movie frame could also be a good picture as long as the resolution is high.

xia23
17 楼
Yes. There is a case,

in wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angers_Bridge

7grizzly
18 楼
fascinating!
xia23
19 楼
Sound barrier In wikipedia,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_barrier

7grizzly
20 楼
Imagine Chuck Yeager's nerve breaking the sound barrier.
盈盈一笑间
21 楼
Thanks for the tips.
xia23
22 楼
But I doubt. If it happens in this case, I could watch and

hear this many times, but in reality I could hear and watch this only once in an airshow. Watch that youtube video, it happend only once.

xia23
23 楼
It could happen at any Mach.
方外居士
24 楼
Thanks for sharing such daily-life application of resonance
Oona
25 楼
So cool :)
xia23
26 楼
You are welcome. Tuning a radio station is also a resonance.

I ask Bard, tuning a radio station, is it a phenomenon of resonance.

Bard answer:

Yes, tuning a radio station is a phenomenon of resonance. Resonance is a phenomenon in which an object or system absorbs or emits more energy at a certain frequency than it does at other frequencies. This is because the object's or system's natural frequency matches the frequency of the incoming energy.

Radio stations broadcast their signals at specific frequencies. When you tune your radio to a particular station, you are adjusting the resonant frequency of the radio's receiver circuit so that it matches the frequency of the radio station's signal. This allows the radio to receive the signal from the radio station and reject signals from other radio stations.

Radio receivers typically use an LC circuit to tune to a specific frequency. An LC circuit is a circuit that consists of an inductor (L) and a capacitor (C). The resonant frequency of an LC circuit is given by the following equation:

f_r = 1 / (2 * pi * sqrt(L * C))

where:

f_r is the resonant frequency in hertz (Hz) L is the inductance in henrys (H) C is the capacitance in farads (F)

By adjusting the inductance or capacitance of the LC circuit, the resonant frequency of the circuit can be changed. This is how radio receivers are able to tune to different radio stations.

As another example, a bridge collapsed in 1850, was also a resonance event:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angers_Bridge

9 Everyday Examples Of Resonance:

https://studiousguy.com/everyday-examples-of-resonance/

xia23
27 楼
Thank you.
Marauders
28 楼
All I am saying is that

Vapor cone can happen before sonic speed.  It is probably most obvious when breaking the sound barrier where pressure in the wave front changes most dramaticly

xia23
29 楼
I agree that could happen. But that might not be called as

But sound boom has two components

1. A dull sound, you could hear.

2. A cone shaped dome when there are enough water vapers in the air.

相关阅读
尤利西斯的《忧伤三角》(7)明星新宠Thom Browne限时85折!费城精奢BOYDS品牌Trunk Show还有赠品等你来!280刀JBL Pulse 5 Portable Bluetooth Speaker (Black)聊一聊两本书之二我的跑步与心脏移植美丽的圣彼得堡冬宫一念放下柳子厚问舟【美坛综艺秀】原创歌曲 Dreams in Sound《恶补文化》古时对年龄的雅称 一辈子弹指一挥间面试技巧|如何回答How would your boss and colleagues describe you?萧萧千禧梦 第五章 成长之苦 (12)七律-垂钓有吟几两碎银换了酒 Drink the blueUSC的CS vs. Georgia Tech的CS,应该选哪个呢?问心:女律师甩了周医生50刀iWALK TWS Wireless Earbuds Bluetooth 5.0, Gaming Earbuds萧萧千禧梦 第六章 浪漫情怀(9)iPhone、Mac 直接体验 Windows?微软重磅推出 Windows App偶在国内了,有没想聊/了解国内情况的?想讨论的同学可以在下面留言,有足够人,咱就开聊~无悔还是反思?——情感漫谈之四家常小炒:川味辣椒回锅鱼片 - 先炸后炒,香辣过瘾,回味无穷【五律】秋怀美语世界 Variety Shows宾州詹金斯植物园(Jenkins Arboretum),放松心情北美红雀的远亲《Love Is Blue》顺祝dear X总 and x 生快深圳现代化垃圾处理场,大国担当【谁是大模王】再见洛城(3)【旧梦不须记】3【谁是大模王】破月,花影兄妹合唱《两只老虎》:):)如祺出行、飞天兆业,拟香港/美国上市,备案补充材料要求(2023年10月7日—2023年10月12日)【一刻永恒】Blue AshesCity Slickers: How Shanghai Is Outfoxing Its Raccoon Dog Problem美语世界 Variety Shows【 Season 1 】活动通知Has the ‘Double Eleven’ Shopping Festival Lost its Luster?萧萧千禧梦 第五章 成长之苦 (11)The Bookstore Giving Shanghai’s Women a Room of Their OwnWeChat Is Blurring Workplace Boundaries — Especially for Women红色日记 4.21-30
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。