Redian新闻
>
[A Farmer and A Cooker's 2023] Beauty Heart Radish

[A Farmer and A Cooker's 2023] Beauty Heart Radish

天边一片白云
楼主 (文学城)

When I first saw the pictures of beauty heart radishes from  internet, I was attracted by their dramatic colors. 

Since then I had been looking for it  at every grocery store or farmer's  market I visited,without luck. One day, My husband- the farmer in our family told me that he had planted two types of winter radish this year. One was  the typical  white radish. the other one is called "XinLiMei" radish.

"Really?" I was so excited.

"Yes. You can go out and see. In the garden box, the left two rows are white radish, the right two rows are XinLiMei radish.  The color and shape of  their  leaves are slightly  different".

I went out to the vegitable garden box in the backyard in which Garlics were just harvested in July. Now the radish plants were growing flourishly. The leaves of the white radish have lighter green and are more pointed than the beauty heart radish.

After that, the first thing I did in the morning was always go out to check if the buauty heart radish break through the soil.

One day,  I finally had that “Aha!” moment when I saw the green root of  a radish for the first time. 

Day after day, the radish root  grew bigger and bigger.  Their nearly rounded shape, along with their light green color looked so cute, like a bady's chubby cheek.

"How big they can grow?". "When  can we pull them out? I asked these questions everyday to the farmer.

Finally, one day , the farmer said:" You can pull the bigger ones out now".

I took out my camara and said : "You pull it. Let me take a picture".

A few days later, the farmer told me: "We have to pull all the radishes out. It is geting cold.  I need to prepare that garden box and  plant garlics for next year before it is too late". Unfortunatelly, some of them were still  small in size.

The farmer told me the harvest could be better. He planted the radish seeds directly in the soil at the end of the July. But after one or two weeks, he only saw the baby plants of the white radish come out. He had to re-plant the seeds of beauty heart radish. This time, He  planted the seeds in seeding pot first and then move them into the ground after the plants grow bigger.

For me, I was very happy with whatever we got. I finally had a chance t to touch, to admire  and to enjoy the  beauties.

From the outside, you might think that the beauty heart radish is just a smallish turnip. Its lime green shoulders and creamy white sides give no hint of the delight inside.  But after I sliced one open, I was immediately  falled in love with it. It has unique starbursts of vibrant fuchsia and white, surrouned by a green ring . 

I am  fond of  any  special  color vegitables, for example black and orange tomatos, purple beans , purple cabbages, purple broccoli and  white bitter melon, etc.   But beauty hearts are extra special. Beauty hearts are harvestd in fall  when there is not many other colorfull vegetables.  If stored properlly, beauty hearts can be stored far into winter when they can bring some delight in the cold and dull winter.

As a  lover of these unique radishes, I decided to make them the star of our dinner when my son and daughter-inlaw came over. I tried  to keep their original color by making a beauty heart rasidh and chayote salad. 

Ingredients:
2 large beauty heart radish
1 large chayote , peeled 
4 tbsp white -wine  vinegar
3 tbsp salt
1 tbsp white sugar ( optional)

Directions:
1. Wash and cut beauty heart radish into  thin round slices , put them in a bowl.
2. Wash, peel and slice chayote, and put them in another bowl 
3. Put rice vinegar, salt, sugar into the bowls and leave them there for at least half hour.
4. Pick some nice-looking round slices of  heart radish and chayote and cut them in half, becoming  half-moons which are used for making the flowers. Remove the skin of some of the heat radish half moon, which are used for making the flowers without the green picotee edges
5  Cut all the leftover slices into thin match stick sized strips
6. Arrange them on  plates.

For another batch of harvest, I desided to make radish cake from heart radishes.   Normally radish cake is made from white radish.  I was courious how it will turn out if the radish cake was make from beauty heart radishes.

I am not a fan of radish cake serviced as Dim sum in restaurant.  I made some change  to suit my own taste.

.I didn't have  Guangdong  sausage. So I just skipped  it and added some lard.
Instend of using big dried shrimps, I used some fresh shrimps, cutting into small chunks.

I did use some small dried shrimps by baking them in low temperature, grinding  them into power and mixing with other ingredients. 
The final prodict turned out very pretty, with the color faded some because of the  cooking. And it tasted good too.

The other day, the farmer was checking his inventory of  his seeds, prepaing for next  year.
I told him: " Make sure you plant heart readishes again next year and plant more".
"I will", the farmer said.

I  look forward to the next season!

Thank you!

亮亮妈妈
2 楼
心里美萝卜种得真好,点赞!
renqiulan
3 楼
A family friend once told my wife: When in doubt, wear red.
renqiulan
4 楼
Thanks to your informative and insightful post, now I would
renqiulan
5 楼
say: When in doubt, grow red. Farming is charming, isn't it?
永远老李
6 楼
文邹邹用英语写作的很多,但是能把蔬菜萝卜写得这么优雅传神的不多
天边一片白云
7 楼
谢谢亮妈。貌似比白萝卜容易些。我家白萝卜大都长得坑坑洼哇,丑捏捏的。
天边一片白云
8 楼
Now I learn it too: when in doubt, wear red. Thanks
天边一片白云
9 楼
At least farming is charming for me.
天边一片白云
10 楼
Because my job is only to pick up, cook and eat the crops.
天边一片白云
11 楼
老李过奖。谢谢你的鼓励。
盈盈一笑间
12 楼
这帖子读起来真舒服,占位点赞
移花接木
13 楼
My favorite , say hi to Buster
卫宁
14 楼
like fried radish cake!
相关阅读
周末啦,来一个好玩的:睡美人问题(Sleeping Beauty Paradox)Officeworks 最新打折图表!2023年10月6日 - 2024年2月5日苏珊米勒每日运势2023年12月5日【自由的心】(A heart of freedom)hé bàng?hé bèng?头像|𝐒𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐞·招桃花头像周末灌水:伦敦最后的Lamplighter第三章 第一堂课\'Carolina in My Mind\'-by Allison Krauss证监会对4家企业拟香港/美国上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月5日—2024年1月11日)APAD: Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep and you weepWoolworths 11月29日-12月5日打折,奶油奶酪、红袋米半价Light and Shadow探寻西西里与马耳他的历史脚印(11)最近发生在的Texas的Law and Order的具体案例,你觉得和你想象的一样吗?你会支持这样的Law&order吗【美坛综艺秀】Happy Farmer & Greatest Show On Earth【往事追忆】:“大饼、油条、豆腐浆”以及“柯湘头”(上)中華民國在台灣(八)東臨大洋Woolworths 11月29日-12月5日打折图册English teachers of my generation:Shen Baoqing (and Peng Wenlan)City Slickers: How Shanghai Is Outfoxing Its Raccoon Dog Problem6023 血壮山河之随枣会战 第三章 2Woolworths 12月6日-12月12日打折,虾饺、珍珠米半价【谁是大模王】《Saddle of My Heart》APAD: Cold hands, warm heart乌克兰支持者应该去华府游行,呼吁国会批准增加对乌的援助,这是最有实际意义的帮助了。2023年诺贝尔文学奖得主挪威小说家乔恩?福斯(JonFosse)其人其作。思乡The Bookstore Giving Shanghai’s Women a Room of Their Own《行香子:京华丽人》A Beijing Beauty哪版盗墓剧你最喜欢?排个名吧2023【唱坛好声音】远举风行战队PK公告。Pure Heart, Never Pretentious. 玉壶装不了清高【谁是大模王】My heart will go on By 一荷2024 January: the beauty of snow in the Great Smokey Mountain.探寻西西里与马耳他的历史脚印(12)第十三章 希腊文明和现代社会的关联 (2)2023 总结APAD: Promises and pieLight and Shadow
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。