Redian新闻
>
Fixing a microwave oven for under $3

Fixing a microwave oven for under $3

xia23
楼主 (文学城)

The owner of the microwave oven is a friend of my house friend. She bought a new microwave oven because her old one is broken. She said the display panel is working, but as soon as an ON button is pushed, the fuse/breaker in the basement is blown. She asked if I could fix it.

It is a GE model 

(1550 W, very large size: 30x15.3x15.7 inch, 76x39x40 cm)

I checked on youtube, this GE model with this problem is not uncommon. It is usually a broken switch which causes the problem.

To find and fix the problem:

1. Unscrew 4 screws on top of the microwave oven:

For that screw on the bottom of 8 cm from the top, use a magnetic screw driver or just a regular screw driver:

2. Open the door, then move the panel A towards yourself (the green arrow) a little bit, you don't need to remove the panel, just move the  right side one inch or so, so that you could work on B. Lift the panel B up (the green arrow) and take it off from the microwave oven enclosure:

you will get, with panel B still wired:

Panel B removed:

3. To remove the switch assembly from the microwave oven case, remove 3 screws (A is not shown, it should be in line with the other two scres):

4. Take the switch assembly  off by moving the assembly upward (green arrows)

Now, the switch assembly is off:

It is tricky to take the bad switch off.  To take the switch off, you have to use a sharp awl, to lift up a plastic off from the back of the switch assambly. Be carefiul not to break the plastic piece (I broke it and later using a glue gun to glue it). (Sorry. I did not take a picture). 

5. Check 3 switches, by using a chop-stick to push the switch button, if you hear a clicking sound, the switch is good (in this case only), if you couldn't hear the sound, the switch is bad (in this case only) or you could take the female connectors off and measure with your multimeter with a sign:

using a multimeter to check before the button is pushed and after:

6. One of 3 switches on the switch assembly did not response to the pushed button, that switch is bad. That is the middle one on the switch assembly.

The following picture is not from the switch assembly, just show that there are 3 types of switches. Order a switch form Amazon, there are 3 kinds of swiches with the same name.

a. NC: normal closed

b. NO: normal open

c. NO and NC:

They are all called KW3AT, some of them with KW3AT-16 (16 W).

The broken one is NC. I bought a switch with both NC and NO.

But the pins are wider, so I have to file them. The broken one:

the one I bought:

7. File them:

with either a file or A bit from a rotary tool:

from a rotary tool:

8. When the switch is installed, you could find the filed pins:

9. Reconnect wires for the front panel:

10. Installed all panels and screws:

11. The microwave oven is fixed:

更多我的博客文章>>> Huge meal, translated from German Fixing a recessed ceiling light Fixing a microwave oven for under $3 DIY SMD RGB LED spinning kit, modified DIY, a SMD RGB LED spinning kit
移花接木
2 楼
家里有这么个样样精通的高手得自认那啥,总得用旧东西,哈哈哈哈,
xia23
3 楼
谢谢。 是给别人做嫁衣裳的
Marauders
4 楼
This is great. Would very much like to be your neighbour.
最西边的岛上
5 楼
赞一个!Ours broke last year (2023) too. We took

the switch assembly off and tried different tricks based on the manual, but all failed.  Only wish we had a handy friend like you.  .   Thanks for sharing.

永远老李
6 楼
给老XIA的维修中心打个广告

专业修理核潜艇;核弹头翻新.改装.抛光.喷漆。回收二手航母,大修核反应堆、清洗航母油槽、航天飞机保养换三滤。高空作业擦洗卫星表面灰尘

Specialized in nuclear submarine repair, nuclear warhead reconditioning, polishing and painting all that, pre-owned aircraft carrier, major overhaul of nuclear reactor, oil change for aircraft carrier engine, filter changing for space shuttle. Last but not the least, cleaning the dust of satellite surface.

修理业务过于专业,翻译不准确的,大家补充

xia23
7 楼
Thank you. I have fixed 4 microwave ovens,
xia23
8 楼
劳您大驾。别介。
xia23
9 楼
Great. Welcome.

Just helped to shavel my neighbor's driveway the day before yesterday. He is a single white man in his late forties.

最西边的岛上
10 楼
Wow! We gave ours to the handyman who installed the new one

It is of the over-the-range type.   But thanks for your tip.

7grizzly
11 楼
Great job! No MO died on me yet but would like your advice
7grizzly
12 楼
on a plumbing auger please.
xia23
13 楼
You should not give it to him. It should be

fixed easily. You might just pay under $10 for the part. 

The broken one could be worth more than $100 https://www.harborfreight.com/120v-spot-welder-61205.html

if you could make a spot welder. It is very easy to make. Just cut the secondary coil off, use an insulated thick wire to make two turns on the transformer.

A spot welder is very useful machine. Check the one in my last link from youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVNVNyoHxSM

for how to make a spot welder. 

xia23
14 楼
Links:
FollowNature
15 楼
找人修不合算。 自己或者有你这样的雷锋可以试试。
7grizzly
16 楼
Thank you!
redwine_99
17 楼
I have done it before too, you can get old switch from eBay so n
xia23
18 楼
Yes. Thank you. The other place to buy is Aliepress.

Cheaper, but it will take long for you to get, usually around 14 days.

xia23
19 楼
谁都可以。 查看youtube first. Most likely you could find

an easy fix for your paticular model and paticular problem.

xia23
20 楼
谁都可以。 查看youtube first. Most likely you could find

an easy fix for your paticular model and paticular problem.

盈盈一笑间
21 楼
这是更大神级别的。膜拜。哈哈
盈盈一笑间
22 楼
欢迎来美坛玩,问好
盈盈一笑间
23 楼
欢迎来美坛玩,问好
xia23
24 楼
谢谢大家
相关阅读
茅台风波《尘封档案》拾遗之020:“王牌杀手”落网记速腾聚创等3家企业完成赴港上市备案 附上市备案情况表(截至2023年11月9日)机不可失证监会对4家企业拟香港/美国上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月5日—2024年1月11日)《欠父亲的话》原唱 赵雷【摄影故事活动】曹溪寺纽约法拉盛搬家小记Diving Controversy Prompts Sports Fandom Criticism请教 mega backdoor conversion 的具体操作 (Fidelity)结尾:美丽繁【花】,上海繁【华】,人去楼空,人生常態。。。。。。。继续提出idea: AI与我们下一代得以财富自由的的第二种方式仲裁员讣告:已于2023年11月9日22时离世乌克兰公布被拦截后回收的匕首高超音速导弹也说几句选举吧【忆江南】步韵良华老师《寄锦官》被感染也想撸卡了,2%cash back on all purchases 值吗?定投S&P500 vs 定投MSCI ACWI,哪个更好?证监会对4家企业拟香港上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月12日—2024年1月18日)陈湃 橄榄戏吟 第五辑牛屎那篇文章大家光注意sat了,其实第一个图就说明藤校分很水8点1氪:董宇辉官宣2024年1月9日开播;百度关联方Moon终止YY收购协议;马斯克再次成世界首富Karl Popper on falsifiability as a criterion for scientific theo没文化,你给鉴定一下,这是不是宙斯下凡了?Providing Long-Term Care for Shanghai’s Most Vulnerable Resident请问各位成功人士: 谁家的厨房有Miele induction Range that has oven居字源考瑞士卢塞恩(Lucerne),胸怀大地宾州新希望小城(New Hope),见景生情装富容易,装穷难!证监会对6家企业拟香港/美国上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月19日—2024年1月25日)关于chase sapphire reserve的用途我真心崇拜毛泽东是我去了美国之后,慢慢学习The Missing Driver: How a Tragedy Sparks Kindness Across China天堂流浪记(二)人生最最痛苦的事儿接受鲤鱼兄的挑战:你在月球,我在地球,看谁快!hé bàng?hé bèng?另开一贴,回复nilabonita 共产主义问题
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。