Redian新闻
>
Interesting is not interesting

Interesting is not interesting

移花接木
楼主 (文学城)

People often use words that mean one thing when they are really saying something else. Most people do so inadvertently; public figures, intentionally.

... ...In the movie Captain Fantastic, Vigo's daughter is reading Lolita. He asks her what she thinks, and she says, “It's… interesting.” Her younger siblings overhear, and break out into a cacophony of “Interesting!” “Illegal word!” “Yeah, can't say interesting!”

Vigo nods and says, “Interesting is a non-word. You know you're supposed to avoid it. Be specific.” His daughter thinks and says, “It's disturbing.” Vigo replies, “More specific.”

She then proceeds to describe the story, and he interrupts again: “That's the plot.” And finally she thinks about it and gives a thoughtful answer about why Lolita is a disturbing book.

There was a lot to love about this movie, but this scene was my favourite. Because Vigo is right: “interesting” is an empty, meaningless word. 

“Interesting” is a lazy word.

To say that something is interesting is to say that it's worthy of interest, but not why or how. To call something interesting doesn't take any thought or effort or analysis. Whether you’re writing fiction or nonfiction, or just having a conversation, you can do better than “interesting.”

Words like “interesting” often show up as adverbs. Ever started a sentence with “Interestingly”? Or “remarkably” or “notably” or “fascinatingly”? Or, even worse, “It goes without saying that”?

To learn more about "interesting:

https://www.rookwoodediting.com/2021/05/interesting-is-a-non-word-be-specific/

Over the years my pet peeve has been the word "basically." I used to tell my students that when someone used the word "basically" they were saying, "I am about to lie to you."

Public figures intentionally use words to mislead, misdirect or obfuscate the true issue. What follows are some of such obfuscations I have noticed over the years, with my interpretation of what they are really saying.

"Let's look at the big picture," means, "I don't want to deal with the facts as they are." This is a classic misdirection ploy. They cannot or will not deal with the situation at hand, so they describe a situation they are willing to confront, or at least discuss.

"There are nuances here" or "this situation is nuanced." Such statements are insulting as well as misleading. What the speaker is really saying is, "There are factors involved that I comprehend, but are beyond your capacity." What they are really trying to do is obfuscate the fact that there is an obvious response to the situation but they are unwilling to make it because to do so would go against their preconceived notions.

https://www.desertsun.com/story/opinion/contributors/2014/08/08/really-saying/13804553/

盈盈一笑间
2 楼
Yup, we need to consider the context, tone, and non-verbal
盈盈一笑间
3 楼
facial expression…
盈盈一笑间
4 楼
形容很幽默很有意思,地道的表达有这些。见内

https://kknews.cc/zh-sg/education/voqvgmq.html

最西边的岛上
5 楼
agreed, like 有意思, 不错. it might mean sth, or nothing at all.
最西边的岛上
6 楼
I learned the word "hilarious" in a very "hilarious" way

at work many years ago (a true but also a somewhat sad story for me).

盈盈一笑间
7 楼
We all grow from lessons.:)
天边一片白云
8 楼
make sense. 看来要避免using“ Interesting”。
颤音
9 楼
interesting, uncertain, the british use it when not interest
移花接木
10 楼
perfunctory attitude, not interested in getting involved.
颤音
11 楼
so precise
卫宁
12 楼
+100086!
盈盈一笑间
13 楼
可惜我们在国内学英语时,老师没有特别强调过。所以很多人不清楚。
相关阅读
神仙打架咱照旧。Mind me not the clash of gods 神仙打架咱照旧证监会对4家企业拟香港/美国上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月5日—2024年1月11日)中原大省都会郑州-国内大环游(01)In Northeast China, Tourists From the South Spark a Winter Boom阿猫河边钓大鱼中西黑五转泊车,一早出门看门外干啥(hint:not 逃离 UCLA)两名99后男子当街行凶被执行死刑【冯站长说安全】2024年1月17日为什么总生气的原因找到了!APAD: Not for all the tea in ChinaJust realized Y I like APAD: it's not aboutEnglish, butLife!《僭越之殇》(26)灵灵Q的三世轮回not on fear, USA was built on courage, imagination,ResolveFor China’s Restaurant Scavengers, Another Year of Success“动物庄园”的民主本质加拿大的医疗卫生保健是省立管辖,provincial NOT federal.APAD: One swallow does not make a summerRap:Don’t touch her You are not the same age可以的话选谁当老公证监会对6家企业拟香港/美国上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月19日—2024年1月25日)Kissinger, not KillingerWoolworths 1月17日-1月23日打折,庆农历新年,亚洲美食打折了出国旅,在离美之前最好要做的一件事pension income is not covered by Social Security2024年1月17日(周三)冯站长之家三分钟晚间新闻明天你是否依然爱我---美中的小蜜月《幺妹和市场街》(5)【一句话翻译】Do not poke the bear. 不要去戳熊坑:I just realize one room number is not available2024年1月17日价格早报hé bàng?hé bèng?【周末综艺会10期】— 我拍的荷花乌军总司令扎卢日内亲自证实:连续击落AAPAD: Do not count your chickens before they hatch ~~~~证监会对4家企业拟香港上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月12日—2024年1月18日)德国常被称为“欧洲的妓院”请问个申请人的credit background is not scored的问题性格决定命运这姐是换化妆师了吗Common birds and not so common flowersAPAD: denial is not a river in Egypt写了,也就赚了
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。