>
not on fear, USA was built on courage, imagination,Resolve

not on fear, USA was built on courage, imagination,Resolve

TJKCB
楼主 (文学城)

Remembering General Billy Mitchell, Father of American Air Forces 

"The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell"[Cast: Gary Cooper] 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtVg8kbHaxM
  The film depicts the conflict between a brigadier general and the American military leadership after World War I. The general passionately advocated for the development of military aviation, leading to a trial in 1925. The plot focuses on the dramatic events of the trial and the general's call to recognize the importance of aviation in future military conflicts.

Amazingly, he predicted that Japan would bomb Pearl Harbor in 1925 using air power!

In the movie, General Mitchell's visionary approach to airpower challenges established norms and traditional military thinking. His courage to dream beyond conventional wisdom becomes a central theme, emphasizing the potential for unconventional ideas to reshape military strategies. As Ronald Reagan aptly stated, "America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, imagination, and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."

His closing statement highlights the American spirit of doing what is right at all costs.

"Either I am merely trying to establish your exact feelings on the question of insubordination. Colonel Mitchell, what is the first duty of a soldier to his superior? We've been over that. Are you afraid of the word, sir?

What word? The word that answers my question. In all the armies of the world, the word is obedience.

You're trying to quibble me out of the army. You know better than to call me disobedient, Colonel Mitchell. Why didn't you resign from the Army and conduct your campaign legitimately from a civilian position?

Because I'm an army man, sir. And do you consider your statement in Texas justified? Objection! The witness is being asked to pass judgment on himself. I'll answer, Colonel Mitchell. You don't have to answer that question.

Objection sustained.

In view then of your present opinion that your superiors are negligent and incompetent, could you give them unquestioned obedience should you be returned to duty? I asked the court to instruct the witness not to answer that question.

I'll answer that question too. You've asked me to state that I am unfit to remain in the Army because I have incurred the hostility of my superior officers. I can't admit that, and I won't. I've been wearing the uniform of the United States Army most of my adult life, and I've worn it with pride. But if being a good soldier is your kind of good soldier, of being unable to think for himself and say what he thinks, for being narrow and blind and insensible to a higher duty, you can have the uniform and all that goes with it. If trying to do something for your country, if fighting to correct injustice, is being a bad soldier, then I'm glad I'm a bad soldier. This issue goes far beyond being a good soldier in his sense of the word. It goes beyond blind obedience and depends on a man's faith in his knowledge of what is right. If being a good soldier is submitting dumbly and passively to injustice, indecision, and complacency, then I'm glad I'm a bad one.

Really, thank you, Colonel Mitchell. That's all. No further cross-examination.

The Army rests its case. Does the defense wish to make a closing statement? The defense has nothing further. The court will retire to consider its findings. Stand up when the court enters.

What will come in order? The accused will stand.

Colonel William Mitchell, the court in closed session, and upon a secret written ballot, two-thirds of the members present at the time this vote was taken concurring therein find you of all specifications and the charge guilty. Order in court. The court, again in closed session, and upon a secret written ballot, two-thirds of the members present concurring therein, sentenced you to be suspended from rank, command, and duty with forfeiture of all pay and allowances for five years.

The court is thus lenient because of your military record during World War 1. The court has adjourned. Do you have a statement to make, Colonel? Will you remain at war? But how do you feel about the Army now, Colonel? The Army owes me nothing. I owe the Army everything. What do you intend to"

biography of general Billy Mitchell

General William "Billy" Mitchell was a pioneering and controversial figure in the early history of the United States Air Force. Here is a brief biography of General Billy Mitchell:

Early Life:

Birth: William Lendrum Mitchell was born on December 29, 1879, in Nice, France, to a prominent American family.
Military Background: His father, John L. Mitchell, served as a U.S. Senator, and his grandfather was a Union Army general during the American Civil War.

Military Career:

West Point: Billy Mitchell graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point in 1903.
Aviation Pioneer: Mitchell became fascinated with aviation and quickly recognized its military potential. He took flying lessons and earned his pilot's license in 1916.
World War I: During World War I, Mitchell's vision for the role of airpower in modern warfare gained prominence. He served in various aviation-related roles and played a key role in the development of American air combat tactics.

Post-World War I Advocacy:

Promotion of Airpower: Mitchell continued to advocate for the importance of airpower after World War I, predicting the rise of strategic bombing.
Controversies: His outspoken nature and criticism of military leadership, particularly regarding the importance of airpower, led to clashes and controversies. Mitchell's views often put him at odds with traditional military thinking.

Court-Martial:

Criticism of Leadership: Mitchell's outspoken criticism escalated, leading to a court-martial in 1925. He was charged with insubordination for openly challenging the efficacy of naval and military leaders.
Conviction: Mitchell was found guilty of insubordination and suspended from active duty for five years. Despite this, he continued to be a prominent advocate for airpower.

Legacy:

Visionary: General Billy Mitchell is often regarded as a visionary who foresaw the strategic importance of airpower in future conflicts.
Airpower Advocate: His advocacy played a crucial role in the development of the independent U.S. Air Force, which was established after his death.
Recognition: Despite his court-martial, Mitchell is posthumously recognized for his contributions to the evolution of military aviation.

General Billy Mitchell passed away on February 19, 1936. His legacy endures as a pioneering figure in the history of airpower and the early development of the United States Air Force.

永远老李
2 楼
世界战争史有几千年,人类飞行历史只有一百多年,现在的空军已经是大国军事力量不可或缺的兵种

As pioneer, Mitchell had vision. 

移花接木
3 楼
My cup of tea!!! 彩色海报上的飞机是B-25B以Mitchell命名,Doolittle raid
移花接木
4 楼
让B-25B一战成名,西方人真是不缺冒险家,杜立特竟敢冒险把陆基中型轰炸机从航空母舰小小甲板起飞去轰炸东京
移花接木
5 楼
而且还冒着惊涛骇浪,这对珍珠港后美军的士气是极大的提升,最后这些轰炸机不得已改飞中国沿海耗尽燃油迫降,很多人被救
移花接木
6 楼
当年的Lieutenant Colonel 军衔至General James Harold Doolittle96岁高龄

长寿,96岁高龄1993年去世

唐宋韵
7 楼
Thanks. President Reagan emphasize encouragement again
唐宋韵
8 楼
after the tragedy of space shuttle Challenger in 1986 --

盈盈一笑间
9 楼
How could he predict Japan would bomb Pearl Harbor in 1925?
盈盈一笑间
10 楼
sounds like a prophet.
移花接木
11 楼
Great minds think alike, Mitchell与Yamamoto 想一块去了, 呵呵,其实作为战略家
移花接木
12 楼
他一是预见空军的发展及作用,就如多年前那些预言AI,二是珍珠港的美军战略存在严重威胁日本的海上扩张
盈盈一笑间
13 楼
珍珠港威胁日本的海上扩张,原来如此。谢谢解惑!
移花接木
14 楼
可惜他比山本还沉不住气,日本直到1941年底才炸珍珠港,
方外居士
15 楼
USA was built on independent war, of course not on fear!
TJKCB
16 楼
They touched the face of God.
TJKCB
17 楼
He was ahead of his time. Sadly, the gov did not like him.
TJKCB
18 楼
The Best of President Reagan's Humor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pgs-LaWyUJI

My favorite is the one President Reagan once told about a guy who was in a car wreck on an interstate, and as he was lying there in pain with a broken back and leg, the country sheriff drives up and gets out of his car to help him. The sheriff said he could have gotten there faster on his horse, but the horse had two broken legs and was kicking and neighing in pain, so the sheriff took his gun put it up to the horses head and put it out of its misery...He said his dog had a cracked back and was whimpering, so he took his gun and did the same thing with the dog...Then he knelt down to guy on the interstate and said "Now how are you feeling?" Gets me every time

唐宋韵
19 楼
早在1921年,意大利军事理论家Douhet就写了《制空权》一书,他的远见是惊人的 ——

https://classicsofstrategy.com/2015/09/01/the-command-of-the-air-by-giulio-douhet-19211927/

移花接木
20 楼
好笑的是很多这些理论最后成就了敌人,英国人首创用舰载空军奇袭意大利塔兰托军港重创意大利舰队,给了山本灵感用航母偷袭珍珠港
移花接木
21 楼
戴高乐的装甲战理论被德国人学习融会贯通,成就闪电战的理论基础,而法国人对他嗤之以鼻只想着防御建工事
移花接木
22 楼
只有懂得政治的军人才能适应时代的变化,典型的是艾森豪威尔,不论当秘书当盟军总司令当大学校长当美国总统,样样拿得起放得下
移花接木
23 楼
纯粹的军人如陈纳德,巴顿那样的人在战争结束后必定鸟尽弓藏。
盈盈一笑间
24 楼
是这个理。
盈盈一笑间
25 楼
如数家珍
相关阅读
pension income is not covered by Social SecurityAPAD: One swallow does not make a summer证监会对4家企业拟香港/美国上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月5日—2024年1月11日)Just realized Y I like APAD: it's not aboutEnglish, butLife!阿猫河边钓大鱼中西黑五转泊车,一早出门看门外干啥(hint:not 逃离 UCLA)命运组合论 第一章 绪论 第四节鸿发超市「2000 万美元」买下82街前Walmart超市!开设第4家Hông Phát分店!Kissinger, not Killinger佟丽娅名誉维权案一审宣判!最新回应加拿大的医疗卫生保健是省立管辖,provincial NOT federal.Dandelion vitamins A,B,C,D,iron,potassium,zinc微软发布 Visual Studio 扩展 NuGetSolver,简化 NuGet 依赖项冲突解决过程Interesting is not interestingRap:Don’t touch her You are not the same age证监会对6家企业拟香港/美国上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月19日—2024年1月25日)Common birds and not so common flowers黑洞简史 序言 站在巨人的肩膀上APAD: Not for all the tea in China神仙打架咱照旧。Mind me not the clash of gods 神仙打架咱照旧是人都不是好东西藏有一个重洋4面试技巧|如何回答How would your boss and colleagues describe you?APAD: denial is not a river in EgyptNiu Niu's A Journey to Overcoming Fear & Forming Connections证监会对4家企业拟香港上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月12日—2024年1月18日)For China’s Restaurant Scavengers, Another Year of Success假日咖啡屋不再更新博文了Coles 1月24日-1月30日打折,开学文具半价《回眸北斋之浮世绘世界》 上请问个申请人的credit background is not scored的问题坑:I just realize one room number is not availableColes本周最新打折图表1月24日--1月30日!AmEx Delta SkyMiles Reserve Business 商业信用卡【年费上涨,福利更新,110k 开卡奖励】APAD: Do not count your chickens before they hatch ~~~~求助:德州的姐妹请看过来,谢谢~~流浪狗,黄主任,和谐共处韩素希成为新晋韩国第一美女,这颜值身材绝了(图)君主党主不如民主,体裁心裁切莫独裁Fear 有两种
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。