Redian新闻
>
APAD: give the devil his due

APAD: give the devil his due

移花接木
楼主 (文学城)

give the devil his due

The phrase "give the devil his due" means to acknowledge or give credit to someone, even if they are generally disliked or considered to be a negative influence. It implies recognizing a person's positive qualities or actions, despite any negative perceptions.

Origin Of “Give The Devil His Due”

The saying “give the devil his due” is thought to have originated in the 16th century. It is first recorded in the writings of the English author Thomas Fuller, who wrote in 1631, “Even the devil himself must have his due.”

Shakespeare uses the phrase in  Henry IV Part 1

“Sir John stands to his word. The devil shall have his bargain, for he was never yet a breaker of proverbs. He will give the devil his due.”

give the devil his due Source: theidioms.comgive the devil his due Source: theidioms.com
give the devil his due Source: theidioms.com
give the devil his due Source: theidioms.com

盈盈一笑间
2 楼
It’s important to acknowledge or give credit to others
盈盈一笑间
3 楼
for what they deserve. 在职场上尤其如此。需要心胸和情商。
最西边的岛上
4 楼
very true, esp. at work. but easier said than done in life .

If someone purposely hurts/attacks me badly, I'd rather just walk away and stay away  ;-)

移花接木
5 楼
Credit where credit's due , another proverb
moonlight7
6 楼
哈哈,论坛也需要~~
移花接木
7 楼
You must be a really good devil handler
moonlight7
8 楼
不容易做到~~
移花接木
9 楼
Our moderator never hesitates to credit everyone
最西边的岛上
10 楼
"never wrestle with pigs. you both get dirty and

the pig likes it ". 

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/43033-never-wrestle-with-pigs-you-both-get-dirty-and-the

盈盈一笑间
11 楼
i am flattered. :))
盈盈一笑间
12 楼
任何人际关系都需要吧。:)
盈盈一笑间
13 楼
One more to learn! :)
盈盈一笑间
14 楼
If we get positive feedback, it may be easier to do next tim
7grizzly
15 楼
Mind the dosage, though. Too much due drowns the poor devil.
移花接木
16 楼
due---right amount
7grizzly
17 楼
Good point and almost always mismeasured.
CBA7
18 楼
Good point! Just be fair to anyone.
妖妖灵
19 楼
就事论事,不戴有色眼镜看人
妖妖灵
20 楼
Wow. You may post the proverb if you would like
妖妖灵
21 楼
I bet you know more Eproverbs than a native speaker does.
相关阅读
Woolworths本周最新打折图表1月24日--1月30日!无题张郎郎:死囚牢中逃出生天【冯站长之家】2024年1月30日(周二)三分钟新闻早餐【皇帝是我】姐王友琴:女性的野蛮王友琴:文化,反省文革的一个角度APAD: He who sups with the devil should have a long spoon请教群里的大佬,浴室水龙头换,先谢谢了APAD: every Jack has his Jill今天最后一贴就是关于找工作2024年1月30日(周二)冯站长之家三分钟晚间新闻APAD: I wouldn't give him the time of day.APAD: Every man has his pricedifference between/ full moon and new moon?又双叒叕2024年1月30日价格早报装修工日记:一地鸡毛,刷油漆。张郎郎的血色浪漫张郎郎:“太阳纵队”传说及其他发现没,东北话是个宝What do you think the IXO boy and his friends should do是不是要回调了?明天就开会了各种吔产投资收益表APAD: It is more blessed to give than to receive大家来评论评论 pizza guy refuses to give pizza without tip2024年1月30日医疗晨报用Trade Joe 的Pizza Dough做匹萨,想做什么口味的,自己定,简单方便,经济实惠,值得一试纪念华语歌坛大姐大邓丽君 ,翻唱《小城故事》女排超级联赛,家乡队联赛第16冠胜利在望证监会对4家企业拟香港上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月12日—2024年1月18日)证监会对6家企业拟香港/美国上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月19日—2024年1月25日)2024年1月30日历史上的今天朗读练习 Three Days to See (Excerpts) 假如给我三天光明(节选)‘His shirt got sucked off his body’: passengers on the .....有多少能力办多少事,进名校脱胎换命也是极少数的人,多数还是普通人,能让自己提升的学校就是好学校同诗不同命赵匡胤刘邦《题菊花》黄巢诗三首为何我们要top公立高中转普通私立高中?女子为夫打抱不平在加油站点火被判三年【冯站长说安全】2024年1月30日证监会对4家企业拟香港/美国上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月5日—2024年1月11日)
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。