Redian新闻
>
APAD: He who sups with the devil should have a long spoon

APAD: He who sups with the devil should have a long spoon

移花接木
楼主 (文学城)

He who sups with the devil should have a long spoon

‘He who sups with the Devil should have a long spoon’ is a medieval idiom that Shakespeare refers to twice in his plays.

Its literal meaning is that if you get involved with the Devil you should have the means of keeping your distance. Metaphorically, eating with the Devil is dangerous and you should do it with a long spoon so that you don’t get too close.

It’s a lovely idiom and so true – that if you begin to get involved with bad things you will most likely be drawn in, so if you have to deal with bad people you should keep your distance – be very careful not to be drawn into their bad projects. It’s a wonderful image of someone sitting far away from their sinister eating companion, making sure they don’t get too close by, using a long spoon to take their food. Sharing a meal with someone usually means you are already on quite good terms with them or that you want to get to know them better. If you agree to partake of the Devil’s hospitality, you are on dangerous ground and need to beware.

移花接木
2 楼
One-eyed man is the minion

not the king

Stuart

盈盈一笑间
3 楼
Hahaha. This is lovely ~~
盈盈一笑间
4 楼
Do not walk in step with the wicked or stand in the way that
盈盈一笑间
5 楼
sinners take, or sit in the company of mockers.

Psalm 1

移花接木
6 楼
Amen
最西边的岛上
7 楼
Thx for the wise warning, would these sticks also work? ;-)
盈盈一笑间
8 楼
Hahaha. You are hilarious ~~
盈盈一笑间
9 楼
坐等the king 来表示不服。哈哈哈

妖妖灵
10 楼
Then don't eat with the devil:)
妖妖灵
11 楼
哈哈哈,这脑回路!:)But I think the minion mimiced the “The Cyclops”
妖妖灵
12 楼
the One-Eyed Monster of Greek Mythology~:)
7grizzly
13 楼
It's harder with the devils within.
7grizzly
14 楼
Polyphemus, to be specific :-)
7grizzly
15 楼
+100086!
7grizzly
16 楼
Then there's Polyphemus moth, for which I'll keep an eye out
7grizzly
17 楼
But his delight is in the law of the Lord.
移花接木
18 楼
if u can't beat'em join them
方外居士
19 楼
君子不立危墙之下
盈盈一笑间
20 楼
翻译得到位!
移花接木
21 楼
I don't think to the long spoon is of any help. having a

Long spoon, who cannot feed himself, He and the devil had to feed eachother.
盈盈一笑间
22 楼
Good point.
最西边的岛上
23 楼
We can't beat increase of bank fees,so we bought theirStocks
妖妖灵
24 楼
哈哈,博览群书啊:)我好不容易知道点儿:)
妖妖灵
25 楼
哈哈,聪明!
妖妖灵
26 楼
哈哈,想起idiom“ you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours”
移花接木
27 楼
there is no blind spot on my back, 100% reachable
7grizzly
28 楼
Try translating, 立马晕菜 :-)
最西边的岛上
29 楼
Just joking. Stay away from the devil, period.
移花接木
30 楼
poly is adopted by English,but meaning multi-
相关阅读
The Chinese ‘Auntie’ Who Hit the Road — and Never Looked BackWhat Should China Do With Its Excess Renewables?德彪西的音乐图像:引言调查:死后计划如何分配遗产?人在国内,给大家一点即时反馈2023虽然过的不尽人意但是也要总结一下!《魅羽活佛》第368章 全民老公我们家已经几乎没人上班了In Northeast China, Tourists From the South Spark a Winter Boom《再见,布里诺斯艾利斯》今天丢了1000现金美股基本面 - 2023_12_31 * 晨报 * 一入江湖岁月催!心中有基本,临危不慌张。新年快乐,来年再战。市区South Loop房源SL02 | 不收中介费/studio 17xx起/CCC/DePaul/Roosevelt湾区Palo Alto 居然偶遇叶倩文和林子祥两人在吃饭。合影留念。Costco 的 reward gift大唐狄公案可看,可追Leap day, what should u do?:)嫉妒的心灵不美丽The Shanghai Temple Offering Noodles for the Soul星舰差一点就百分百的成功了, 差了一点。 Starship may have broken apart证监会对1家企业拟美国上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月26日—2024年2月1日)我的前夫APAD: give the devil his due我的初中(二):安得广厦千万间要在美国长期生活需要改变的一些中国式思维APAD:long absent, soon forgotten关于朱令铊中毒的一点讨论Millions of Chinese have embraced skiing每天10句英语口语|How long have you been studying English here?Long time no see市区South Loop房源SL04 | 不收中介费/SAIC/DePaul/Roosevelt/CCC2024/25 Chevening Clore Leadership Fellowship 项目开放申请作别流年A Long Stretch of Gloomy Days《唐宋韵》59.《鹧鸪天·彩袖殷勤捧玉钟》 晏几道【情人节快闪】《玫瑰香》两首《万家灯火》给裸根兰花安家,一起新年快乐Will have 7 万+闲钱在IRA 账户上随时备用,现阶段不想追高股市,又不能买CD,买哪个MMF好呢?鸿发超市「2000 万美元」买下82街前Walmart超市!开设第4家Hông Phát分店!
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。