Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

Source: New Hampshire (1923) by Robert Frost.

About the author
Robert Frost | Poetry Foundation

【活动说明】
欣赏了诗歌之后,欢迎大家在跟帖里对诗歌进行点评,分享读后感。本活动主要是为大家提供一个阅读英文诗歌的窗口,以赏诗为主,不要求写诗。如果大家偶尔灵感闪现,有感而发地想要写写诗的话,大家可以尝试用相同的或者相关的诗歌标题,写出不一样的英文诗,在赏诗写诗的过程中自娱自乐。写出来的英文诗如果愿意分享的话,欢迎以主帖或者跟帖的方式分享。谢谢大家的关注和支持!

Let's get some learning from the fun and get some fun from the learning!

更多我的博客文章>>> 【Poem Reading Tuesday】Fire and Ice by Robert Frost After Kitty Ate Doggy's Brain 【Poem Reading Tuesday】My Doggy Ate My Essay by Darren Sardel Frederick Seidel's Snow 《It's Snowing 正在下雪》
CBA7
2 楼
Happy Tuesday! 欢迎大家在跟帖里对诗歌进行点评,分享读后感。
renqiulan
3 楼
Frost, Robert's last name, means something coincidentally
renqiulan
4 楼
close to ice. Back to the poem, it is his disavowal of
renqiulan
5 楼
ice-cold hatred that would end the world as we know it.
renqiulan
6 楼
Scientifically though, once the sun has become a red giant,
renqiulan
7 楼
it will engulf the earth. The good news is,
renqiulan
8 楼
we have 5 billion years to get prepared for the worst.
renqiulan
9 楼
Happy Poetry Tuesday, 小西 !
CBA7
10 楼
Yes, scientifically we have time to get prepared.
CBA7
11 楼
谢谢秋兰点评,Happy Poetry Day!
CBA7
12 楼
Frost's fire and ice are symbols for human's emotions.
CBA7
13 楼
Like fire and ice, they can cause the end of the world.
CBA7
14 楼
Yes, you have sharp eyes on Frost, he is close to ice :)
CBA7
15 楼
A clue: Frost addressed those two emotions in the poem.
蓝灵
16 楼
Hi, 小西!"What is a maid, ice and desire." Shakespeare had a
蓝灵
17 楼
different take. In the Bard's eyes, a beauty is ice but not
蓝灵
18 楼
icy, white but not whitish. That's why she is so desired, so
蓝灵
19 楼
much so that she is catching fire, idiomatically speaking.
蓝灵
20 楼
Yes, desire is fire. Have a great Tuesday!
CBA7
21 楼
谢谢蓝灵分享感悟!Have a nice day!
CBA7
22 楼
Yes, Shakespeare's fire and ice are beautiful!
CBA7
23 楼
But Frost's fire and ice are disasters to the world :(
CBA7
24 楼
ChatGPT 的诗歌分析,供大家参考,见里面:

Fire and Ice
by Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

ChatGPT Poem Analysis:

"Fire and Ice" by Robert Frost is a short but profound poem that explores the contrasting elements of fire and ice as symbols for desire and hate, respectively, and their potential to bring about the end of the world.

The poem begins with a simple declaration: "Some say the world will end in fire, / Some say in ice." This sets up the central theme of the poem—the speculation about how the world will meet its end.

The next two lines, "From what I've tasted of desire / I hold with those who favor fire," suggest that the speaker aligns themselves with those who believe that desire, represented by fire, will be the cause of the world's destruction. This could be interpreted as a commentary on the destructive power of human passion and ambition.

The speaker then considers an alternate possibility: "But if it had to perish twice, / I think I know enough of hate / To say that for destruction ice / Is also great." Here, the speaker acknowledges that if the world were to end again (after being destroyed by fire), they believe that hate, symbolized by ice, would be equally capable of bringing about destruction. This could be seen as a reflection on the chilling and relentless nature of hatred and its ability to freeze and destroy everything in its path.

The poem concludes with the assertion that ice "would suffice," emphasizing the potency of both fire and ice as agents of destruction.

Overall, "Fire and Ice" explores timeless themes of desire, hatred, and the potential for destruction, using the elemental imagery of fire and ice to convey its message concisely yet powerfully.

More Poem Analysis:

“Fire and Ice” by Robert Frost – Shenandoah (shenandoahliterary.org)

Fire and Ice by Robert Frost (Poem + Analysis)

盈盈一笑间
25 楼
点赞点赞,有空细看!:)
妖妖灵
26 楼
Another nice and attractive pick!
甜虫虫
27 楼
Thanks for sharing this short but profound poem!
忒忒绿
28 楼
I’m inspired by the piece. Thank xiaoxi for sharing:)
godog
29 楼
Interesting to know Frost had a bleak view of the world
颤音
30 楼
fire gives rise to civilization, so choose fire
CBA7
31 楼
Fire and ice are human emotions, both can end the world.
CBA7
32 楼
ChatGPT 的诗歌分析,供大家参考,详见里面:

Fire and Ice
by Robert Frost

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
Is also great
And would suffice.

ChatGPT Poem Analysis:

"Fire and Ice" by Robert Frost is a short but profound poem that explores the contrasting elements of fire and ice as symbols for desire and hate, respectively, and their potential to bring about the end of the world.

The poem begins with a simple declaration: "Some say the world will end in fire, / Some say in ice." This sets up the central theme of the poem—the speculation about how the world will meet its end.

The next two lines, "From what I've tasted of desire / I hold with those who favor fire," suggest that the speaker aligns themselves with those who believe that desire, represented by fire, will be the cause of the world's destruction. This could be interpreted as a commentary on the destructive power of human passion and ambition.

The speaker then considers an alternate possibility: "But if it had to perish twice, / I think I know enough of hate / To say that for destruction ice / Is also great." Here, the speaker acknowledges that if the world were to end again (after being destroyed by fire), they believe that hate, symbolized by ice, would be equally capable of bringing about destruction. This could be seen as a reflection on the chilling and relentless nature of hatred and its ability to freeze and destroy everything in its path.

The poem concludes with the assertion that ice "would suffice," emphasizing the potency of both fire and ice as agents of destruction.

Overall, "Fire and Ice" explores timeless themes of desire, hatred, and the potential for destruction, using the elemental imagery of fire and ice to convey its message concisely yet powerfully.

More Poem Analysis:

“Fire and Ice” by Robert Frost – Shenandoah (shenandoahliterary.org)

Fire and Ice by Robert Frost (Poem + Analysis)

CBA7
33 楼
谢谢盈盈。
CBA7
34 楼
Thank you, 灵灵!I'm glad you like it.
CBA7
35 楼
You're welcome, 虫虫!
CBA7
36 楼
忒绿好,thank you for reading and commenting.
CBA7
37 楼
That's 100 years ago. The world is getting better or worse?
相关阅读
When Fire Runs into Ice【Poem Reading Tuesday】In Praise of Mystery: A Poem for Europa给去Vegas附近 Valley of Fire State Park 的提个醒2024年2月6日医疗晨报美坛活动【Poem Reading Tuesday】My Doggy Ate My Essay by Darren Sardel收到一份特别的节日礼物 - 去肯尼迪表演艺术中心听一场王羽佳的音乐会美坛活动:【Poem Tuesday】证监会对1家企业拟美国上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月26日—2024年2月1日)APAD: fight fire with fire【Poem Reading Tuesday】all the time I pray to Buddha by KobayashiAPAD: Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep and you weep钓鱼日常英语情景对话102|Importance and value, possession【Poem Reading Tuesday】Sonnet 116 by William Shakespearehé bàng?hé bèng?轰动高尔夫界的突发事件美坛活动【Poem Reading Tuesday】Snow by Frederick SeidelLight and Shadow罗马不是一天建成的(下)2024年2月6日历史上的今天【冯站长之家】2024年2月6日(周二)三分钟新闻早餐苏珊米勒每日运势2024年2月6日豳字源考Located on the Pacific “ring of fire”Cloud, Rain, and Water down the Mountain ( a poem)特拉华州内穆尔庄园(Nemours Estate),林中赏景【Poem Reading Tuesday】Meeting at an Airport by Taha Muhammad AliFIRE: 我的三次经历【Poem Reading Tuesday】Pippa's Song by Robert Browning【Poem Reading Tuesday】Aliens by Amy Lowell85、长篇民国小说《永泰里》第十七章 豆蔻年华(3)请教一个gas fire place 的问题挥不去的忧伤-《A short history of Tractors in Ukrainians》读后感【Poem Reading Tuesday】I look at the world by Langston Hughes【JetBlue收购Spirit被判违反反垄断法】Frontier Airlines和Spirit Airlines宣布将合并!dá àn jiē xiǎo 🥳章诒和:我和我的先生Chicago Fire青島網紅打卡地The Contemporary Artist Using Crosses to Push Boundaries
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。