by William Shakespeare

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments; love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove.
O no, it is an ever-fixèd mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wand'ring bark
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come.
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom:
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

Source: SHAKE-SPEARES SONNETS (1609)

Listen to This Poem
Poetry Foundation

About the author
William Shakespeare | Poetry Foundation

About Sonnet
Sonnet | Poetry Foundation
Shakespearean sonnet | Poetry Foundation

【活动说明】
欣赏了诗歌之后,欢迎大家在跟帖里对诗歌进行点评,分享读后感。本活动主要是为大家提供一个阅读英文诗歌的窗口,以赏诗为主,不要求写诗。如果大家偶尔灵感闪现,有感而发地想要写写诗的话,大家可以尝试用相同的或者相关的诗歌标题,写出不一样的英文诗,在赏诗写诗的过程中自娱自乐。写出来的英文诗如果愿意分享的话,欢迎以主帖或者跟帖的方式分享。谢谢大家的关注和支持!

Let's get some learning from the fun and get some fun from the learning!

更多我的博客文章>>> 《Inconstancy: All things change》 《世事无常:万事皆变》 【Poem Reading Tuesday】Sonnet 116 by William Shakespeare 《游子的云 Wanderer's Clouds》 【Poem Reading Tuesday】all the time I pray to Buddha by Kobayashi 《Dragon 龙》
CBA7
2 楼
Happy Tuesday! 欢迎大家在跟帖里对诗歌进行点评,分享读后感。
盈盈一笑间
3 楼
Happy Tuesday! 谢谢小西主持诗歌赏析活动。辛苦了!
盈盈一笑间
4 楼
谢谢分享莎翁十四行诗,我在数每一行诗的音节。:))
7grizzly
5 楼
After many assertions, Bill bailed out with a disclaimer :-)
CBA7
6 楼
谢谢盈盈,my pleasure :)
CBA7
7 楼
盈盈是专家,我在这方面是外行,向盈盈学习。
CBA7
8 楼
Hahaha, after Shakespeare, everything changes :)
最西边的岛上
9 楼
莎翁是(英)语言天才。We went to many of his plays in different cities.
最西边的岛上
10 楼
Although I couldn't catch many of the words,
最西边的岛上
11 楼
the sound of his words were like music to my ears.
最西边的岛上
12 楼
在那个时候,才理解了“(非宗教)唱诗”的真正意思哈。
CBA7
13 楼
谢谢西岛分享个人体验和读后感言。
方外居士
14 楼
每行十个音节,但读完每行用的时间不一样(至少对我如此)。那节奏感是怎么表现出来的?
CBA7
15 楼
这方面我是外行,居士可以向盈盈请教 :)
甜虫虫
16 楼
Thanks 小西 for sharing this beautiful Sonnet!

I might read it out loud and record it when I have time. :)

甜虫虫
17 楼
好像有三行有11个音节, 如果我没有数错的话 :)

That looks on tempests and is never shaken

Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken

But bears it out even to the edge of doom

CBA7
18 楼
谢谢虫虫分享!
CBA7
19 楼
Great! Looking forward to it!
小鱼无双
20 楼
谢谢小西分享!
小鱼无双
21 楼
莎翁这首读出来真有流水淙淙跳跃,余韵恒久不散的隽永感呢!厉害啊厉害!尤其是最后两句,好一个洞悉通透的小老头!
妖妖灵
22 楼
Timely rain!查了一下关于10或者11个音节:

In iambic pentameter, each line has ten syllables with alternating stressed and unstressed syllables. The pattern that emerges sounds like this: da-DUM. If an 11-syllable line in verse has one syllable as the first word, it can be discounted to make it a perfect iambic pentameter line.
CBA7
23 楼
谢谢小鱼儿活泼可爱,富有乐感的感言!
CBA7
24 楼
谢谢灵灵分享。
CBA7
25 楼
ChatGPT 的诗歌分析,供大家参考,详见里面:

ChatGPT Poem Analysis:

"Sonnet 116" by William Shakespeare is a classic Shakespearean sonnet that explores the timeless and steadfast nature of true love. Here's an analysis of the poem:

Theme of Love: The central theme of the poem is love. Shakespeare presents love as something enduring and unchanging, not subject to the fluctuations of time or circumstance. He sets up a contrast between the temporary nature of physical beauty and the eternal constancy of genuine love.

True Love's Definition: The speaker defines true love as something that does not waver or diminish over time. It is not swayed by external factors or obstacles ("Let me not to the marriage of true minds / Admit impediments"). Love, in this context, is not merely an emotion but a profound commitment and bond between two people.

Metaphors and Imagery: Shakespeare employs vivid imagery and metaphors throughout the poem to illustrate the nature of love. For example, he describes love as an "ever-fixèd mark" and "the star to every wand'ring bark," suggesting that it provides guidance and stability even in the midst of life's storms.

Timelessness of Love: The poet emphasizes the enduring nature of love by asserting that it is not subject to the passage of time ("Love's not time's fool"). Despite the inevitability of aging and mortality, true love remains steadfast and unyielding.

Personal Commitment: The concluding couplet serves as a personal declaration of the speaker's faith in the power of love. He states that if his beliefs about love are proven wrong, then he has never truly written anything meaningful, and no one has ever experienced genuine love.

Overall, "Sonnet 116" celebrates the timeless and unwavering nature of true love, portraying it as a force that transcends the constraints of time and circumstance.

甜虫虫
26 楼
It seems that lines in a sonnet can have 9-13 syllables
妖妖灵
27 楼
不清楚啊,好像应该有五个重读音节
godog
28 楼
谢谢小西分享。这首的英语跟现代英语还算接近,不难理解。
方外居士
29 楼
以两个音节为一个单位,这点和律诗一样。多谢分享。
妖妖灵
30 楼
发现我原来的排版太乱,现在能看到更多的解释了:)
CBA7
31 楼
同感。
相关阅读
【Poem Reading Tuesday】The rain &“Figurative language”答案更新鸿发超市「2000 万美元」买下82街前Walmart超市!开设第4家Hông Phát分店!普利策奖获得者 张彦(Ian Johnson) 《星火:中国的地下历史学家和他们为未来的斗争》感时花溅泪,恨别鸟惊心【Poem Reading Tuesday】Pippa's Song by Robert Browning头像|𝐒𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐞·招桃花头像#音乐连接你我#美国原住民乐队SIHASIN北京站音乐会,2024年3月25日,周一,20:00【Poem Reading Tuesday】The Star 英文诗和英文歌的节奏有关系吗Property to Virtual Goods, More Young Chinese Are Drafting WillsJanuary 30, Tuesday, 12:00-13:00 RELO English Conversation Club【JetBlue收购Spirit被判违反反垄断法】Frontier Airlines和Spirit Airlines宣布将合并!姚让的疫情时代·后记刚刚,交易所公布最新IPO排队名单(截止到2024年3月25日)​Cloud, Rain, and Water down the Mountain ( a poem)美坛活动【Poem Reading Tuesday】My Doggy Ate My Essay by Darren Sardel【Poem Reading Tuesday】In Praise of Mystery: A Poem for EuropaArt of Adaptation: How Yue Opera Is Winning Over Young Chinese【Poem Reading Tuesday】Aliens by Amy Lowell《大炮、病菌和一场春梦》(40) 那一年的记忆,除了战争和瘟疫,还有我做的春梦離開美麗的風景,此心安處,才是吾鄉历史印象:【苏联斯大林纪录片大合集】【Poem Reading Tuesday】all the time I pray to Buddha by Kobayashi读起来像歌的诗借助AI变成了歌 (A Poem Reads Like a Song Becomes Song with AI)Just took a pic. Would u like to write a poem, a proverb or【Poem Reading Tuesday】Meeting at an Airport by Taha Muhammad AliA poem to the beautiful 亦菲:搞倒哈佛校长意味着什么普利策奖得主Ian Johnson 张彦:如何看待中国人对历史的遗忘,不明白博客对话江雪请问LDL177,Glucose 116, A1c 6.4 是否该吃药了?证监会对4家企业拟香港/美国上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月5日—2024年1月11日)【Poem Reading Tuesday】Fire and Ice by Robert Frost章文:那些忍不住的人—献给潇男美坛活动【Poem Reading Tuesday】Snow by Frederick Seidel聚焦ETF市场 | 2024年3月亚太地区ETF发行情况【Poem Reading Tuesday】We wear the mask 英文诗有“平仄”吗?Made in China. A Poem【Poem Reading Tuesday】I look at the world by Langston Hughes美坛活动:【Poem Tuesday】五绝二首 & A Short Poem盤字源考
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。