【Poem Reading Tuesday】Aliens by Amy Lowell

【Poem Reading Tuesday】Aliens by Amy Lowell

CBA7
楼主 (文学城)

Aliens 
by Amy Lowell

The chatter of little people   
Breaks on my purpose
Like the water-drops which slowly wear the rocks to powder.
And while I laugh
My spirit crumbles at their teasing touch.

Source: Selected Poems of Amy Lowell (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2002)

About the author
Amy Lowell | Poetry Foundation

【活动说明】
欣赏了诗歌之后,欢迎大家在跟帖里对诗歌进行点评,分享读后感。本活动主要是为大家提供一个阅读英文诗歌的窗口,以赏诗为主,不要求写诗。如果大家偶尔灵感闪现,有感而发地想要写写诗的话,大家可以尝试用相同的或者相关的诗歌标题,写出不一样的英文诗,在赏诗写诗的过程中自娱自乐。写出来的英文诗如果愿意分享的话,欢迎以主帖或者跟帖的方式分享。谢谢大家的关注和支持!

Let's get some learning from the fun and get some fun from the learning!

更多我的博客文章>>> 《会思考的鱼》《The Fish Who Can Think》 【Poem Reading Tuesday】Aliens by Amy Lowell When Lines from the World Cross Her World 【Poem Reading Tuesday】In Praise of Mystery: A Poem for Europa 《Inconstancy: All things change》 《世事无常:万事皆变》
CBA7
2 楼
Happy Tuesday! 欢迎大家在跟帖里对诗歌进行点评,分享读后感。
7grizzly
3 楼
The title is too powerful. I can't stop thinking of
7grizzly
4 楼
face-huggers, xenomorphs, and neomorphs :-)
CBA7
5 楼
Hahaha, Aliens here maybe not the real aliens we think of.
CBA7
6 楼
They are from this real world. It's a symbol.
CBA7
7 楼
我把ChatGPT和Allpoetry的诗歌分析放在这里,供大家参考,和大家一起学习,详见里面:

Poem Analysis by ChatGPT:

"Aliens" by Amy Lowell is a short poem that delves into the speaker's sense of alienation or disconnection from the "little people" around them. The title itself, "Aliens," suggests a feeling of being apart or different.

The first line, "The chatter of little people," sets the tone of the poem, presenting the speaker's perception of others as insignificant or diminutive. This could refer to individuals who are perceived as trivial or inconsequential in the speaker's life, or it could symbolize societal norms and expectations that the speaker feels alienated from.

The comparison of the chatter to "water-drops which slowly wear the rocks to powder" evokes a sense of persistence and erosion. It suggests that the constant chatter of these "little people" is gradually wearing down the speaker's resolve or sense of purpose. Despite the speaker's attempt to laugh it off ("And while I laugh"), their spirit is still affected, depicted as crumbling under the weight of this persistent intrusion ("My spirit crumbles at their teasing touch").

Overall, the poem captures a sense of vulnerability and fragility in the speaker's emotional state, as they struggle with the impact of external influences on their sense of self and purpose. It suggests a tension between the desire for independence and the inevitability of being influenced or affected by others.

Poem Analysis by Allpoetry:

The poem "Aliens" by Amy Lowell depicts the speaker's struggle against the trivial gossip and mockery of others. The "chatter" of "little people" chips away at the speaker's resolve and spirit, like water eroding rock. The speaker tries to remain resilient, but their inner self is gradually weakened by the relentless criticism.

Compared to Lowell's other works, this poem exhibits a more somber tone and introspective focus. It lacks the exuberant celebration of nature and beauty found in many of her nature poems. Instead, it explores the psychological impact of social pressure and the difficulty of maintaining inner strength in the face of adversity.

For its time period, "Aliens" reflects the growing sense of alienation and isolation in modern society. The poem captures the struggle to find one's place in a world that often seems indifferent or even hostile. It resonates with the themes of loneliness, social fragmentation, and the need for self-discovery that permeated much of early 20th-century literature.

CBA7
8 楼
Thank you for reading and commenting.
妖妖灵
9 楼
英文也有“小人”little people?水滴石穿。中英文真是有异曲同工之妙~
CBA7
10 楼
Yes, you got it!
最西边的岛上
11 楼
reading it, I felt sorry for the author. It's best
最西边的岛上
12 楼
to stay away from&ignore "little people", if one can help it
妖妖灵
13 楼
She didnt need2write a poem. Out of sight,out of mind
最西边的岛上
14 楼
Maybe the poem was her way to get it out of mind? ;-)
CBA7
15 楼
哈哈, anyone can write a poem whenever she/he wants to do so.
CBA7
16 楼
写诗,读诗是一种作者和读者进行心灵交流的方式。如果Amy Lowell不写的话,我们就看不到这首名诗了 :)
CBA7
17 楼
Yes, the poem can help others read her mind,对世人有启迪和警示的作用。
暖冬cool夏
18 楼
the poem captures a sense of vulnerability and fragility+1
暖冬cool夏
19 楼
Chatgpt评得好!诗更是写得好!人言可畏的。谢谢小西的分享!
godog
20 楼
"breaks on my purpose"不太好理解
CBA7
21 楼
请Go兄参见我在上面提供的由ChatGPT和Allpoetry所作的诗歌分析,会有助于理解。
CBA7
22 楼
谢谢冬夏分享读后感。
godog
23 楼
我有些好奇,如果ChatGPT不知道已有的解读,它会怎么理解这首诗呢?这是无法回答的问题了。
CBA7
24 楼
哈哈,好问题,ChatGPT很聪明,它很好地解读了我的那首小诗《The Fish Who Can Think》,见上面。
甜虫虫
25 楼
I feel this is about the influence of societal norms

and expections on indivuduals, especially on women, in the old times.

"the water-drops which slowly wear the rocks to powder"

"spirit crumbles at their teasing touch"

Thanks for sharing!

小鱼无双
26 楼
谢谢小西的分享!这首Aliens似乎是为了表达她作为人群中的异类,一种孤独隔离的感受。
CBA7
27 楼
That's right. 谢谢虫虫分享读后感。
CBA7
28 楼
同感,谢谢小鱼儿好分享。
相关阅读
美股基本面: 轻舟已过万重山?标普逼近历史纪录!成长股AI股再领风骚。特斯拉倒在寒冬里?比特币一周狂跌为哪般?资金疯狂出逃亚洲!每天10句英语口语|All goes well【Poem Reading Tuesday】Sonnet 116 by William Shakespeare麻州一流公立学区,富豪名流聚居地,本周豪宅精选--Weston/Newton/Wellesley/Winchester【广州美国中心活动】RELO English Teaching Seminar,3月30日,星期六,早上9:30-12:00【Poem Reading Tuesday】Meeting at an Airport by Taha Muhammad Ali美坛活动【Poem Reading Tuesday】Snow by Frederick Seidel积水潭医院原院长田伟能够在秦城远程操作机器人做脊柱骨科手术吗抑郁,何为抑郁?Made in China. A Poem【Poem Reading Tuesday】In Praise of Mystery: A Poem for Europa美坛活动【Poem Reading Tuesday】My Doggy Ate My Essay by Darren Sardel五绝二首 & A Short Poem证监会对6家企业拟香港/美国上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月19日—2024年1月25日)走吧,去跟的哥聊聊天【Poem Reading Tuesday】We wear the mask 英文诗有“平仄”吗?一牌头二派头三噱头“从前慢”认识木心的【Poem Reading Tuesday】I look at the world by Langston Hughes美坛活动:【Poem Tuesday】Just took a pic. Would u like to write a poem, a proverb or恨蠢症增减和康复之路※ ※ 声声慢 ※ ※ 周末愉快!!!糖尿病和运动冬日极寒Magnificent 7: Tesla, Microsoft, Alphabet, Apple, Meta, Amazon a【Poem Reading Tuesday】all the time I pray to Buddha by Kobayashi【Poem Reading Tuesday】The rain &“Figurative language”答案更新hé bàng?hé bèng?Discovering Shanghai’s Jiangnan Culture Through Ancient TownsJanuary 30, Tuesday, 12:00-13:00 RELO English Conversation Club【Poem Reading Tuesday】Pippa's Song by Robert Browning“Fellows是一张永久有效的门票”|纪源Fellows六周年特别企划A poem to the beautiful 亦菲:坛子大叔大妈,来个科普:手腕三条线或以上, 有晚运苏美尔文与东巴文校友风采丨贾波:Future Powering Now【Poem Reading Tuesday】Fire and Ice by Robert Frost每天10句英语口语|How long have you been studying English here?Cloud, Rain, and Water down the Mountain ( a poem)
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。