Redian新闻
>
APAD:if you can't be good, be careful

APAD:if you can't be good, be careful

移花接木
楼主 (文学城)

if you can't be good, be careful

used to tell someone to enjoy themselves at an event or during an activity, but not to take risks

As children, we were always being told to behave, or sometimes just to be good.  As adults, however, those admonishments changed to “Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do!” or, perhaps, to “If you can’t be good, be careful.”  It might be preferred that you just be good—not engage in risky or immoral behavior while you’re out having fun—but if you just have to be bad, be sensible about it, or at least keep it from coming to the attention of the authorities.

The saying was first published in this form in 1903, when Arthur M. Binstead said in his Pitcher in Paradise, “Always bear in mind what the country mother said to her daughter who was coming up to town to be apprenticed to the Bond Street millinery, ‘For heaven’s sake be good; but if you can’t be good, be careful’.” However, the meaning behind the expression is a lot older than that.  It comes from the 11th century Latin proverb Si non caste, tamen caute, which translates as “if not chastely, nevertheless cautiously.”

There are many variations on this saying, several along the lines of “Be good.  And if you can’t be good, be careful.  And if you can’t be careful, name it after me.”  Given those additions, you have a hierarchy of behavior to work with!

最西边的岛上
2 楼
"A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies."
最西边的岛上
3 楼
tho sometimes enemies choose 2 ;-))) so alwaysB careful .
7grizzly
4 楼
To counter risk-aversion, no guts no glory.
7grizzly
5 楼
Being a good person doesn't get you loved. It gets you used.
最西边的岛上
6 楼
haha,beenThereDoneThat&noRegret. bGoodIsGood 4me;)
7grizzly
7 楼
I shouldn't but still have too much cynicism :-)
最西边的岛上
8 楼
4me, 我绝不可负天下人,whatOthersDo r theirChoice
妖妖灵
9 楼
问候美坛童鞋们七夕快乐!我英文都忘了,怎么办?:)

照了张照片,构图上有什么建议吗?

https://bbs.wenxuecity.com/ktv/2783379.html

最西边的岛上
10 楼
welcome back 灵美眉!
妖妖灵
11 楼
TY, 西岛美眉!:)
暖冬cool夏
12 楼
妖mm七夕快乐!Welcome back!怀念你带我们写诗读新闻的日子!
移花接木
13 楼
大蝴蝶好清晰,
相关阅读
APAD:It is nice finding that place where you can just go and投资死撑学2024年8月10-11日长沙邵歆然导师《关系智慧工作坊》Woolworths 8月14日-8月20日打折,porterhouse牛排6折You Can Do It, We can Help送别三重唱 中国狼 雨霁初虹 树烨子 演唱APAD: everything you needAndrew Youssef:终点虽远,心向光明丨2024毕业典礼毕业生代表发言大市反转的后市相似性(更新08/09/2024)APAD:Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are.I can’t believe what I just watched2024年8月14-18日吉利根老师催眠线上授证课第三模块(附广州精英催眠营证书课程时间)APAD:Against the assault of laughter, nothing can stand.You crushed it!2024年8月15日、16日 天鼓剧团公益巡演重回伦敦,经典与您共重温APAD:Do not sympathize with those who can not empathize英国秋招 | 信用评级机构Moody's开放2024 Full Time申请说说身边的人发生(运动)猝死吧簡介納音歌記憶法(含歌譜)。APAD: If you can’t live longer, live deeper.APAD: a good hiding发现我带娃真的是很马虎经常上投坛有两大好处2024年8月17日星期六RELO广州英语教学研讨会APAD: Good artists copy, great artists steal.2024年7月30日 – 8月1日RELO英语学术论文写作与发表暑期训练营2024年8月16-18日林文采心理营养亲子关系工作坊:育儿不费爹妈的秘诀!美国今天已失掉2块金牌,其中1块输了0.01秒Woolworths本周最新打折图表 8月14日--8月20日!想唱就唱:蜀栖茶乡
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。