Redian新闻
>
When in Rome,Do as the Romans Do/I don’t know what Romans do

When in Rome,Do as the Romans Do/I don’t know what Romans do

TJKCB
楼主 (文学城)

Done my tasks, taking a break, coffee hot, Scrolling down, surfing around, I got hit by the following: 

• 英文工作,中文娛樂?纠结吗?把纠结的人都请到美坛来!用英文娱乐呗。ZT 妖妖: 一起玩,一起学。不用再纠结!:)) -盈盈一笑间-    (0 bytes) (1 reads) 09/20/2023 postreply 12:11:53

• Sharp! You got my point: When in Rome, Do as the Romans Do -TJKCB-    (67 bytes) (3 reads) 09/20/2023 postreply 12:43:45

• When in Rome, Do as the Romans Do! -盈盈一笑间-    (0 bytes) (1 reads) 09/20/2023 postreply 18:28:43

• The issue is I don’t know what Romans do. -方外居士-   (0 bytes) (4 reads) 09/20/2023 postreply 20:10:26

• act like Roman, eat like Roman, dress like Roman How? -TJKCB-    (6061 bytes) (0 reads) 09/21/2023 postreply 09:58:33

• Feeling like you've lost your spark?Well, you are not alone. -renqiulan-    (0 bytes) (2 reads) 09/20/2023 postreply 20:34:14

https://bbs.wenxuecity.com/mysj/283533.html 

To :-) 

act like Roman, eat like Roman, dress like Roman How?

Here are some rules and tips for effectively mingling and integrating into a foreign culture:

Be Open-Minded: Approach the new culture with an open mind and a willingness to learn. Avoid making quick judgments or stereotypes about the people and their customs.

Learn the Language: Even if you can't become fluent, making an effort to learn the local language can go a long way in building connections and understanding the culture better. Locals often appreciate it when you try to speak their language.

Respect Local Etiquette: Study and understand the etiquette and social norms of the culture. This includes rules for greetings, dining, gift-giving, and personal space. Be especially mindful of gestures and behaviors that may be considered rude or offensive.

Listen and Observe: Actively listen to what locals say, and observe how they interact with each other. This can provide valuable insights into their values, priorities, and social dynamics.

Engage in Cultural Activities: Participate in local cultural events, festivals, and activities. This can be an excellent way to meet people, learn about traditions, and immerse yourself in the culture.

Make Local Friends: Seek opportunities to make friends with locals. Join clubs, classes, or community groups to connect with people who share your interests. Building personal relationships can deepen your understanding of the culture.

Ask Questions: Don't hesitate to ask questions about the culture, history, and customs. Most people are happy to share their knowledge and help you understand their way of life.

Adapt to Local Food: Be open to trying local cuisine, even if it's different from what you're used to. Food is a significant part of any culture, and sharing meals with locals can be a bonding experience.

Respect Local Beliefs: Be respectful of local religious beliefs and practices, even if they differ from your own. Attend religious ceremonies or events if you're invited and follow any dress codes or customs associated with them.

Stay Informed: Stay informed about current events and issues in the country. Being aware of local news and politics can help you engage in meaningful conversations with locals.

Travel Slowly: If possible, spend extended periods in the foreign culture rather than rushing through tourist destinations. This allows for a deeper and more meaningful experience.

Accept Cultural Differences: Understand that not everything will be the same as in your home country, and that's okay. Embrace the differences, as they are what make each culture unique.

Be Patient: Integration takes time, and there will likely be moments of frustration or discomfort. Be patient with yourself and with the process of adjusting to a new culture.

Remember that cultural integration is a gradual process, and it's okay to make mistakes along the way. What's important is your genuine effort to respect and adapt to the local culture while sharing your own perspective and experiences as well. This mutual exchange can lead to meaningful connections and a deeper appreciation of the world's diversity.

The expression "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" means that when you are in a foreign place or culture, you should adapt to the customs, traditions, and behaviors of the local people. It's a way of saying that you should respect and follow the local norms rather than imposing your own customs or habits.

To give you a better idea of what Romans typically do or what this phrase implies, here are some general guidelines:

Dress Code: Dress modestly and appropriately according to the local fashion and customs. In Rome, people often dress stylishly but conservatively.

Greeting: Italians, including Romans, often greet with a kiss on both cheeks among friends and acquaintances. A handshake is also common in formal situations.

Mealtime: Italians take their meals seriously. Lunch is usually the main meal of the day, and dinner is eaten later in the evening. It's customary to enjoy long, leisurely meals with family and friends.

Punctuality: Italians can be somewhat flexible when it comes to punctuality, but it's generally a good idea to be on time for appointments and meetings.

Language: While many Romans and Italians speak English, it's appreciated if you make an effort to learn a few basic Italian phrases. It shows respect for the local culture.

Tipping: Tipping is common in restaurants and cafes, but it's not as generous as in some other countries. Usually, rounding up the bill or leaving a small tip is sufficient.

Respect for Historic Sites: When visiting historic sites and churches, dress modestly and follow any specific rules or guidelines posted at the location. Silence is often expected in churches.

Cultural Awareness: Be aware of local customs, holidays, and traditions. Italians have a rich cultural heritage, and participating or showing an interest in local events can be appreciated.

Driving and Traffic: Rome is known for its chaotic traffic. If you're driving, be prepared for aggressive driving styles and pay attention to traffic rules.

Manners: Politeness and good manners are highly valued in Italian culture. Saying "please" (per favore) and "thank you" (grazie) goes a long way.

Remember that while these are general guidelines for adapting to Roman culture, there can be variations within the city and among individuals. It's always a good idea to observe the behavior of locals and ask for guidance if you're unsure about what's appropriate in a specific situation. Showing respect and an interest in the local way of life is usually well-received in any foreign culture.

7grizzly
2 楼
The Romans and their cultural offspring wrestle.
方外居士
3 楼
Thanks a lot for sharing such a well-quantized culture detai
盈盈一笑间
4 楼
+10086!!!
TJKCB
5 楼
What does 10086 mean?
TJKCB
6 楼
Let's wrestle, but not for their food :-)
盈盈一笑间
7 楼
+1 的加强版!哈哈。表示非常同意!
颤音
8 楼
哈哈哈,很好,长篇大论
7grizzly
9 楼
It's also a zip code in 北京中关村 :-)
TJKCB
10 楼
The puzzle solved! Thx
方外居士
11 楼
我一直在想这是不是盈盈在中关村的地址
7grizzly
12 楼
Okay. That's the start of a great story :-)
TJKCB
13 楼
長路通羅馬Long must long for long roads
TJKCB
14 楼
10086 is Postal code in Italy; also in New York
7grizzly
15 楼
Now things getting warmed up :-)
renqiulan
16 楼
When we are speaking of Rome, we are incidentally talking up
renqiulan
17 楼
Latin. Latin may be "a dead language," but it is actually
renqiulan
18 楼
alive and kicking where European tongues are concerned.
青松站
19 楼
But know what I 'll do!-:))..
TJKCB
20 楼
How so? in what way? to whom?
盈盈一笑间
21 楼
听说有些高中还在开设拉丁文。秋兰上高中时没选这门课?
盈盈一笑间
22 楼
赞!;)
盈盈一笑间
23 楼
哈哈,盈盈笑而不语间
盈盈一笑间
24 楼
噗~ ~ 笑歪了。。
颤音
25 楼
i hate those latin roots in scientific terms, lol
颤音
26 楼
and greek
7grizzly
27 楼
Right. Keep asking questions. We'll find all the answers :-)
方外居士
28 楼
我儿子和女儿都在初中高中学过拉丁文。
方外居士
29 楼
Ask questions according to the answers. So answer first. 哈哈。
相关阅读
nǚ hóng?nǚ gōng小娃问我why I don’t have family劳柯| 我的一天(07/21/23, 星期六)总领馆领事证件处2023年9月29日、10月2日、10月3日放假通知从农村出来的人民网评论员,自己怎么不回农村?专访丨积家CEO Catherine Rénier:情感联结和艺术表达对腕表也至关重要水平不高文凭高,官宣落马的干部半数是党校研究生Don't blow your horn at old people老外说 I don't know nothing 是“知道”,还是“不知道”?中国证监会:境外发行上市备案补充材料要求(2023年9月22日—2023年9月28日)玻璃缸里的孙凤 (23)从8岁开始画画到现在,已经20年了,我一直爱着它。当画家是我从小的梦想,没想到长大以后梦想真的能成真~这种每一天都真切的The Bookstore Giving Shanghai’s Women a Room of Their Own一开始医生怀疑可能是艾滋病感染的初期症状(因为他不久之前去见女网友的时候有高危性行为),结果却是比艾滋病更危险的狂犬病。盐湖城---晨跑,盐湖,肯德基老爷爷礼拜“Don't Cry for Me Argentina” and the musical EvitaThe Fishing Village That Wasn’t“回流生”事件搞大了,“高考公平”无解?环法第二十一站-----香榭丽舍上的谢幕历史小说《黄裳元吉》第一百一十九章 新皇百川的大模型KnowHow第一份工很重要,能不去就别去cat,军工这类公司,进去如果两三年内不走就废了。现在已经过去几年了说说应该无妨,前几年自杀每天10句英语口语|How's the weather there today?China Edges Out Japan, Wins Seventh Women’s Basketball Goldthe Gypsy's spirit of freedom, don't know their burden养娃费爹Don't break my heart 送高僧/远空及处女座们生日快乐/答谢亲们
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。