Redian新闻
>
APAD:For Want of a Nail

APAD:For Want of a Nail

移花接木
楼主 (文学城)

For want of a nail the shoe was lost; for want of a shoe the horse was lost; and for want of a horse the man was lost

"For want of a nail" is a proverb, having numerous variations over several centuries, reminding that seemingly unimportant acts or omissions can have grave and unforeseen consequences.

The proverb is found in a number of forms. Benjamin Franklin included a version in his Poor Richard's Almanack (1758), but over a century earlier, the poet George Herbert included it in a 1640 collection of aphorisms.  Predecessors include the following:

Middle High German (positively formulated): Diz ?agent uns die wî?en, ein nagel behalt ein î?en, ein î?en ein ros, ein ros ein man, ein man ein burc, der ?trîten kan. ("The wise tell us that a nail keeps a shoe, a shoe a horse, a horse a man, a man a castle, that can fight.") (c. 1230 Freidank Bescheidenheit)

"For sparinge of a litel cost, Fulofte time a man hath lost, The large cote for the hod." ("For sparing a little cost often a man has lost the large coat for the hood.") (c 1390 John Gower, Confessio Amantis v. 4785–4787)

Middle French: "Par ung seul clou perd on ung bon cheval." (Modern French: "Par seulement un clou, on perd un bon cheval."; English: "By just one nail one loses a good horse.") (c 1507 Jean Molinet, Faictz Dictz D., v768)

"The French-men haue a military prouerbe; 'The losse of a nayle, the losse of an army'. The want of a nayle looseth the shooe, the losse of shooe troubles the horse, the horse indangereth the rider, the rider breaking his ranke molests the company, so farre as to hazard the whole Army". (1629 Thomas Adams (clergyman), "The Works of Thomas Adams: The Sum of His Sermons, Meditations, And Other Divine And Moral Discourses", p. 714")

最西边的岛上
2 楼
next: 4 want of a battle the kingdom was lost. Sigh ...
妖妖灵
3 楼
My friend,right or wrong:)
7grizzly
4 楼
Some let go willingly: "A horse! My kingdom for a horse!":-)
最西边的岛上
5 楼
oh, me2: my wallet 4 a drop of water ;-)
最西边的岛上
6 楼
but I'm always wrong :-)
妖妖灵
7 楼
if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right:)
妖妖灵
8 楼
哈哈,现在感觉自己的英文蹭蹭上涨:)搬来毫不费工夫:)
最西边的岛上
9 楼
YesDoctor! but to which direction, left or right? ;-)
妖妖灵
10 楼
women are always right. case closed:)
最西边的岛上
11 楼
hooray! finally I got a right. Thx Doc!
妖妖灵
12 楼
Not finally but at the very beginning:u r always right:)
最西边的岛上
13 楼
uhoh, I'm inEvenBiggerTrouble withGod now. thx butNo thx ;-)
妖妖灵
14 楼
Butterfly effect?
最西边的岛上
15 楼
sameHere,thx to APAD "chickenSoup" ;-)
移花接木
16 楼
汉武帝就为了得到汗血宝马与大宛国打了一仗
7grizzly
17 楼
Anyone took you up on that honest offer? :-)
7grizzly
18 楼
Wow. Didn't know that. 可怜无定河边骨...
7grizzly
19 楼
all for a coward's fancy of some pony.
最西边的岛上
20 楼
the store did but not whole wallet. SomeNicePeople 4sure:)
相关阅读
玫瑰的故事和“我”的故事汤勺2025QS最佳留学城市排名发布!英国伦敦蝉联榜首!波士顿仍是美国最佳留学城市!2024年6月22-23日长沙邵歆然导师《关系智慧工作坊》2024年6月29-7月3日广州林文采萨提亚模式专业证书课程 Level one(二阶,可插班)【七律】 周末打球球场到处是积水有题2024年6月美国移民排期:前进167天!!你的排期到了吗?惊闻发小被留置,兼说腐败和出身睡觉时半夜嗓子干燥,感觉有异物,需要醒过来大声清嗓子才能睡觉(古詩英譯)惠崇春江晚景 – (其二)苏轼学习中药进行时煮中药进行时俄罗斯估计两年内战败,然后同中国翻脸【摸鱼儿】三阕 呈纳兰兄陶三兄一哂看到大家的分享,投资股票好成功,我总共两次投股票,都已割肉离场,我错在哪里?该怎样投?投指数对吗?【繁花】在台湾非常轰动,胡歌昨天到台湾了。。。。。。2024年6月12-16日吉利根老师催眠线上授证课第二模块(附广州精英催眠营证书课程时间)给普京支一招,俄罗斯如何解脱当前困境,实现欧亚大陆第一强国的梦想经济真的好起来了?难道活坑专业的也有春天?伊朗真的反美反以吗?2024年6月美国移民排期更新【求职战报】全球金融交易平台Deutsche Börse Systems销售运营面试邀约!AI音乐, 老枫的预言, 看看有没有实现.刚刚,交易所公布最新IPO排队名单(截止到2024年6月17日)​佩服投谭人的投资水平,受投谭影响,我一点小钱迈出了自己的一大步也晒2个帐户今天韩国人邻居说他的一个朋友用hot tub 后摔倒后脑勺着地去急诊等了五小时后被医生打发回家。到家体验《歌手》~ 那英完败北美妞?《灿烂的你》胜 《I want to dance w/ somebody》(古詩英譯)惠崇春江晚景 (其一) - 蘇軾贺Adam 登陆【歌手】学唱: 《whataya want from me》by Ap大虎加拿大打冰球VOA 解密时刻: 大饥荒马聚,以色列会攻击伊朗本土作为还击老烟记事(422) 铁丝篓黄仁勋 · 加州理工2024届毕业典礼演讲 | 2024年6月14日(全文+视频)一天simple naive trust-bi-racious marriage【歌手】Adam Lambert: whataya want from me李宁公司的大股东创立合营企业,将瑞典百年户外品牌 Haglöfs 引入大中华区Hi, I want to move the spouse to China, what need to do?
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。