Redian新闻
>
The Next World War

The Next World War

shuier
楼主 (文学城)

Book Review: “Ghost Fleet: A Novel of the Next World War” (2015) by P. W. Singer and August Cole 

In this novel the People’s Liberation Army refused to open fire on protesters pouring into the streets. Their supreme leader vanished, being vanquished. A PLA-backed oligarchy known as Directorate took over China. It went on to take over the world.

With covert support of Russia, China obliterated the U.S. satellite defense preemptively. Next, the PLA wiped out the U.S. fleet at Pearl Harbor and then occupied Hawaii. Now China effectively controlled the resource-rich Western Pacific Region, mocking U.S. sanctions.

Below China’s radar screen the U.S. recommissioned and revived those rusty warships long retired into a naval junkyard. A “Ghost Fleet” emerged on the horizon. America might be down, but not out.

As a war novel “Ghost Fleet” has a promising beginning. But it soon capsizes in the absence of a good explanation for being shy away from the nuclear option.

For the record, Mao Zedong had boasted more than once that he would not blink, even if he had to lose 300 million of his countrymen to the United States or the Soviet Union, should either one bet on the nuclear option in a war with China. 

Would Maoists go softer than Mao on nuclear warfare? Would the U.S. simply wait for the other shoe to drop and let the PLA seize the nuclear initiative? 

I found the authors, Singer and Cole, inarticulate on this burning war issue. They had a nuclear elephant in their fictional war room, for crying out loud. In deafening silence, however, they kept their World War III going non-nuclear, unconvincingly.

Yes, a world war in the nuclear age doesn’t have to go nuclear. But Singer and Cole had better put up a cogent argument against the nuclear option, which they didn’t. How disappointing!

Reviewer: shuier

shuier
2 楼
Book Review: “Ghost Fleet: A Novel of the Next World War”
寒苇
3 楼
Ghost Fleet. The title sounds interesting.
shuier
4 楼
Even eye-catching.However, I'm quite critical as a reviewer.
寒苇
5 楼
Let me check it out. I'll be back.
shuier
6 楼
Take your time.
花似鹿葱
7 楼
无论欧美小说写中国,还是中国小说写欧美,文化的不同视角一眼能够看出来
lovecat08
8 楼
有远见啊!
寒苇
9 楼
同意。
shuier
10 楼
不十分同意。读 Spring Moon, 我感觉到文学的跨文化性。
寒苇
11 楼
让我找来看看。谢谢水儿!
shuier
12 楼
How about Anton Chekov? His short stories are popular with

Chinese and everyone else, aren't they?

寒苇
13 楼
I won't debate that. Chekov is universal.
shuier
14 楼
BTW, Earnest Hemingway learned a lot from Chekov.
寒苇
15 楼
I have heard about that. You have a point.
shuier
16 楼
Maybe renqiulan will bring us a new perspective.
寒苇
17 楼
Let's see.
renqiulan
18 楼
Quite a penetrating review, analytical and critical.
renqiulan
19 楼
Kudos to shuier. I couldn't have said it better myself.
老键
20 楼
Indeed sounds very inconvincible

Being witty I'd like the authors to include this content in the novel - after a round of throwing nuclear warheads at each other, both the USA and China found sth not quite right. Why the heck none of the targeted cities was annihilated despite widespread infrastructure damage? ... A deeply covert organization, DANG, gradually surfaced...Since the end of WWII, DANG (Disarm Nuclear Global), a conscientious group of self-organized scientists, engineers, army generals, secrete operatives, and politicians across the world had been working strenuously to prevent a heat nuclear WWIII from happening, incl. altering nuclear formulas in physics textbooks to make chain-reaction shortcircuited unknowingly, planting agents in major research and arm development institutes,  you name it, out of your wildest imagination.  

The wartorn silhouette of Hunololo City appears at the horizon, against the backdrop of a dark purple dawn, breaking out of a haze of smoke smearing across the sky.  On the placid deep gray water,  a surfaced sub, with its reactors shut down, propelled only by the onboard battery set, soundlessly plows through all forms of debris scattered around, towards a largely destroyed but still dockable corner of Peral Harbor. In the capitan cabin, LaoJian drops down the last two lines in the opened journal, "The voyage ends here. Mankind has once again saved herself. Thanks Lord and the founding chairman of DANG, Prof. J. Robert Oppenheimer". (this could be the ending scene of the upcoming movie "Oppenheimer")        

相关阅读
He Claimed to Be a Soldier in Ukraine. Except, He Was in Henan.彭博社:Next Big Job Cuts行业: Finance and Health Care叶永烈:陈公博留下的中共一大“秘密文献”刚花300块学到的东西WWS 5月3日-5月9日折扣,洗碗块、麦片圈半价,购物卡20倍积分每日电讯报:“最新的 武器 俄罗斯正在改变乌克兰敌对行动的进程,并迫使基辅不断重新考虑反攻的时机。”美国波士顿,建筑倒影女权主义的迷思离婚6年,王宝强再婚?小5岁模特女友曝光,网友:还得被戴绿帽!巴哈马游轮,彩虹高挂一路向北(15)我回国准备买的东西我唱的(end)Top of the World荷兰-郁金香之乡Ironman World Championship数字经济未来趋势|2022 NeXTSCENEx地标马克联合元宇宙发布会Call for Paper | IEEE Future Networks World Forum 2023Who’s nextWoolies 5月3日-5月9日打折图册(高清38页)南澳散记 (增订本) :第二十七章:中华会馆中文学校成人班(下)The new AI - What comes next?Disney world 票价好贵哦,哪里能买到打折的票?“六一”儿童节,美英法日別理想的大学美国的CC(大专)跟本科高校办学目的是不同的国际要闻简报,轻松了解天下事(2023年5月9日)Suzanne's Cakes n' Pastries Coffee Shop 葡式蛋挞华夏龙舟,移植美洲。炎黄奇葩,盛开宇宙!How a Chinese Town Made a Fortune From the World’s Lockdown Pets经观头条 | 厌恶风险的年轻人,选择跨城存钱赚利息坦克大战 the war of tanks与老兵合唱越战电影老歌《早安越南 / What a Wonderful World》推荐一本书: A shot to save the world (新冠疫苗研发的故事)Google当年真有机会可以rule the world 可惜。。回中国俩三事北卡西南部一个月也看不够(2):稀有原始森林-Joyce Killmer Memory Forest一不留神上了ChatGPT的黑名单。。。5月30日就涨价!美国签证费支付服务将于2023年5月29日暂停!迈富时、第四范式、米高化工、耐看娱乐、武汉有机5家港IPO上市备案补充材料要求(2023年5月12日—2023年5月18日)🥰2023国际棋联国际象棋世界冠军赛(World Chess Championship 2023)🥰
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。