Redian新闻
>
ZT: There are more ‘poor’ Americans than there are ‘rich’

ZT: There are more ‘poor’ Americans than there are ‘rich’

smlandlord
楼主 (文学城)

‘Poor people are not stupid’: I grew up in poverty, earned $14 an hour, and inherited $150,000. Here’s what I have learned from my windfall. (msn.com)

THE MONEYIST

In September 2018, this woman from Texas, then 36, wrote to the Moneyist to ask how she should invest her windfall — over $150,000. It was small by some people’s standards, but it was life-changing to her. She didn’t have a college degree, said she would never earn more than $30,000 a year, and worked full-time for $15 an hour, in addition to a part-time job at $10 an hour. She paid $1,050 a month in rent. 

She paid off her car, and bought a “tiny home,” which she owns free and clear, she wrote in an update a year later. She deposited $70,000 in a high-yield online savings account. She topped up her retirement portfolio and invested $30,000 into emerging markets. She maxed out her IRA and invested $10,000 between very safe dividend stocks and ETFs. She also spent $7,000 on dental work in Mexico.

And today? Five years after her first letter, she has updated MarketWatch readers on her progress, and what she learned from this experience:

Dear Moneyist,

There are a lot more Americans making less than $50,000 a year than there are those who make more. I feel like we aren’t really represented in the financial-advice world. I’d love to see more columns helping people to invest $25-$100 when they can. It’s empowering to invest. I might never be a Warren Buffet, but when I open my accounts and see how they are growing it really fills me with a sense of pride and determination. 

Innsbruck Luxury Hotels   Ad www.expedia.com    

As to how I’m doing? Beautifully. I hate to say it but the pandemic was a blessing to me personally. I feel terrible saying that because of the loss and devastation so many others suffered and are still suffering because of it, but for me, the pandemic opened up a world of possibilities. A job opportunity landed in my lap because of the shutdown, and I’m making almost $4,000 a month now after taxes. 

Yes, me! I’ve never made so much money before (outside of the inheritance I received). I am still frugal and live off of about $1,800 a month, and that includes health insurance, long-term disability insurance, full-coverage car insurance, and pet insurance! Everything else goes to savings and investments. I won’t say what it is I’m doing because it might identify me, but I will say it is a job that allows me to be happy every second I’m “working.”

‘Tiny living forces you to be mindful. Not only of your space, but also of yourself and how you live in your space.’

My tiny house has been one of the greatest decisions I’ve ever made, and has truly changed my whole mindset on what makes me happy. As I’ve lived in it I’ve altered certain parts of the design to be more efficient, and I can honestly say I intend to live tiny until some mobility issue — hopefully age-related and not an accident of some kind! — forces me back into a more conventional dwelling. Tiny living forces you to be mindful. Not only of your space, but also of yourself, and how you live in your space. It might sound strange to hear, but living tiny has truly made me a better person and improved my quality of life in ways other than financial. 

I would like to address some of the comments I read in response to your previous article on my letter. While most were truly supportive others were coming from a place of judgment and condescension. I’d like to thank everyone who wished me well, and for them to know that their words meant a lot to me. That people took time out of their day to read about me and wish me well was uplifting. I send them all virtual hugs and hope each and everyone is happy and healthy. 

However, I’d also like to address some of the comments that were less encouraging. Several people insisted that my letter was obviously fake because of how well I wrote, and that someone with my education level could not possibly be in the financial situation I’m in. I was less hurt by this attitude as I was utterly astounded by it. That people genuinely believe the educated cannot struggle financially just floored me. 

‘There are more ‘poor’ Americans than there are ‘rich’ Americans, and we are not stupid or lazy. We’re trying to make it work.’

Poor people are not stupid. We’re not illiterate country bumpkins struggling to figure out how to work a computer. We’re the nurse that lives down the street with two roommates to be able to afford rent. We’re the teachers still living with their parents because they can’t find enough roommates to qualify for an apartment. We’re the cops working at Home Depot on the side trying to save up for a baby. We’re the lawyers doing Uber just to afford student-loan payments. There are more “poor” Americans than there are “rich” Americans, and we are not stupid or lazy. We’re trying to make it work — usually by having 2-3 jobs. 

There is a financial crisis in this country. I believe it comes from unchecked capitalism. When corporations are allowed to buy up single-dwelling homes and drastically raise rents, and banks/lending institutions are allowed to prey on people with obscenely high interest rates, you foster an environment of exploitation. Our society allows for the targeting of young people before they even graduate high school. Credit-card companies and college-loan institutions begin preying on people as soon as they hit 18. If their parents are financially illiterate, and considering most public schools rarely teach financial literacy, too many young people start out life with insane amounts of debt. Additionally, wages have not kept pace with the cost of living in this country, and you have a lot of educated “poor” people. 

I just could not believe those comments that insisted this story was fake because I was too educated to be poor. Then I was mad. Mad because that stereotype is what prevents a lot of change from taking place. Nothing is ever going to get better if we keep thinking the worst of each other. 

Anyway, I again want to thank you for thinking of me and sharing my story. Hopefully it helped more people. As I said before, investing is truly empowering. I didn’t know that before, but I know it now, and I wish it for many more Americans. 

Sincerely, 

Not Quite As Low Income, But I’m Still A Couponing Lady

smlandlord
2 楼
我认识的一个女孩也有一个差不多的故事

她也是高中毕业,很勤奋,但是怎么都付不起房租,后来出了一次车祸,保险赔偿了8万多,我就叫她 nothing else but a small house, 她就买了一个5万刀的,free and clear, 高高兴兴的从我这里搬出去,现在结婚有两个孩子,一份挺好的律所的前台工作.

自己有个房还是对人生的看法改变很大.

水下水手
3 楼
人生要有个的支点,要不然就很容易沉下去
updateonline
4 楼
这个道理就是小学(数学)知识, 她想多了。(中国人就人人买房,究竟谁赚了,谁的一生人进套了?)

人人富裕=》人人同样的赤贫。

大部分人贫穷=》少部分人富裕。

没有大多数的穷人, 就木有少数的富人。 这个道理浅显吧?

俺同理可以推断, 当米国人人想通过投资富裕时, 投资就一定是亏钱钱的大结局。 

可口可言
5 楼
安居乐业,适用于任何人。对于穷人,“安居”的意义就是省去最大头消费的“租金+N次的搬家费”,对生活质量必然有所改善。
米奇的厨房
6 楼
说的非常对,现在房价和收入比,已经不是几十年前了,可是很多美国人还沉浸在过去的梦里面,没有意识到现实

当然,这个社会也不教他们这些,推从所谓的让年轻人自己学,基本是,自己学会的也是头破血流得到的,而很大部分人没学会。

borisg
7 楼
不是房价问题,是工作问题。随着制造工业萎缩,有比较高工资的地区集中,造成住房紧张,而大片地区萧条没工作,照样买不起。
米奇的厨房
8 楼
我乡下农场的边的房子和房租也涨的飞快就真是奇怪了,毕竟没有那么多工作啊
Vaseline123
9 楼
我house 这里,出租房很少,好几幢要4万美金每月,一年收租48万. 还能租出去
Vaseline123
10 楼
我是说,每幢每月4万,一年收48万,好几幢都是这价
borisg
11 楼
南方人口增加,有钱退休的人去得多带着钱去的。
柠檬椰子汁
12 楼
北卡是退休的地方,北方人,南方人都去。
IEbird
13 楼
是,有统计40年制造业占非农人口比例22%减至9%少50万。失去的工作很多可一人养家。
新手地主刚上路
14 楼
有了房,就有了更好的希望。
IEbird
15 楼
北卡曾经以家具制造闻名全国且出口。成功的转型高科技。
Wei_PDX
16 楼
这个更加接近真相。没有制造业,工作人口都会朝少数地方集中,因为资源配置效率高。

制造业其实也有这种聚集效应,但是比较就业人口多规模大,还是能摊开来一些。

相关阅读
1965年的《椰林怒火》和《赤道战鼓》, 多少人还记得?七绝 球场不是桃花源国际要闻简报,轻松了解天下事(2023年5月12日)苏珊米勒每日运势2023年5月12日美国新冠日记:正式结束的结束语步邓小平之后尘, 登...登上黄山【𝐂𝐚𝐥𝐧𝐢𝐊𝐞𝐚𝐧双皮奶无痕内裤】49元三条!巨巨巨好穿 !!简直就是辣妹顶配,食品级冰箱收纳盒【一日团】重访葡萄牙(5)-王国的书香之城【冯站长之家】2023年5月12日(周五)三分钟新闻早餐主旋律、人品与遮羞布职场问题请教,more money vs 更好的经验For Young Chinese, 2023 Is the Year of the ‘Drifter’更新5【感动我的歌曲】Yesterday Once More2023年5月12日医疗晨报分享一个wfh提高工作效率的小妙招Light and ShadowROTH IRA which broker is better? can trade stock and more ,,硅谷银行破产后,16% of Americans Moved Money, 这么高比例!2023年5月12日价格早报我家就是要付终身赡养费的当事人求教微信里定高铁票经济学人:Younger Americans are friendlier to China美国人心目中的有钱人(Rich)最新标准终于出来了,华人大妈载歌载舞跳起来吧!眼科医生靠做手术年入600万Cuyana 包包2023年5月12日历史上的今天五十年代初, 回老家当省人民政府主席的不止程子华一位最近发现去 Costco 原来不用带卡孩子已经成为了一匹脱缰的野马!重庆姐弟坠亡案,生父和三的聊天记录曝光这是测对了还是没测对啊比尔盖兹刚给大学毕业生的演讲,很emotional啊!“there is more to life than work”【回顾与展望】2022粒粒珍珠般的微旅行年洗牙,吃药,购物Chinese Women Cheer Michelle Yeoh’s Oscar Win2023年5月12日物联网新闻迈富时、第四范式、米高化工、耐看娱乐、武汉有机5家港IPO上市备案补充材料要求(2023年5月12日—2023年5月18日)专家说用这个方法可以培养出快乐孩子,大家赞同吗?【送仙妈】辛苦了!《谁能明白我》& More
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。