Redian新闻
>
APAD: Chinese whispers

APAD: Chinese whispers

移花接木
楼主 (文学城)
Chinese whispers

Inaccurately transmitted gossip. 'Chinese whispers' refers to a sequence of repetitions of a story, each one differing slightly from the original, so that the final telling bears only a scant resemblance to the original. 

The expression 'Chinese whispers' is commonly used in the UK and many other parts of the English-speaking world, although less so in the USA. 

What? WTF! hahahahaha, First time to know we Chinese have such reputation in the English-speaking world. Didn't they ever gossip?  Is it fair to us? 

But isn't it true? hahhahahhahaha, excuse mine laughing so hard, it is so true to me, other cultures? I don't know;  hahahahh, hope you guys also have enough sense of humour,  don't think I am, no, they are insulting "Hua".  

Actually the author cleans himself  bellow for not being racial slurring, defending the saying as Chinese language being more incomprehensible to English ears than Russian, and   Chinese are inscrutable. 

hahaha one more laughing.

It derives from the party game in which one person whispers a message to the person next to them and the story is then passed progressively to several others, with inaccuracies accumulating as the game goes on. The point of the game is the amusement obtained from the last player's announcement of the story they heard, that typically being nothing like the original. The game is played in all parts of the world and each country has its own names for it, notably, in the USA it is usually called 'Telephone' or 'Gossip'.

The name 'Chinese Whispers' was adopted for the game in the UK in the mid 20th century, prior to that it was known as 'Russian Scandal' or 'Russian Gossip'. The reason for the change isn't clear. It is sometimes suggested that the phrase is a racial slur and is intended to convey the idea that the Chinese talk nonsense. I see no reason to assume that. The English aren't especially badly disposed towards the Chinese - there are many other races on the UK hit list above the Chinese. I think the decision by whoever coined the phrase had more to do with the Chinese language being more incomprehensible to English ears than Russian. If there is any racial stereotyping inherent in the phrase it may be by an association with the idea that the Chinese are inscrutable.

The first citation of the name in print is found in the English newspaper The Guardian, March 1964:

The children's game of 'Chinese whispers'... in which whispered messages were passed around the room and the version which came back to the starting point bore no relation to the original message.

The use in a more general sense, to describe everyday mis-telling of stories, began as recently as the 1980s. It first started appearing in print and in online postings in Usenet newsgroups in 1989. This was probably a consequence of the use of 'Chinese Whispers' as the name of a track on the 1985 album Stereotomy by The English rock group The Alan Parsons Project.

盈盈一笑间
2 楼
老外也有很多whispers,好伐?:))先点赞,待会儿再来细读。
7grizzly
3 楼
Great to learn! It reminds me of "paddy wagon."
Oona
4 楼
interesting :--)), 我也感觉普遍来讲,老外没有那么容易相信闲话。
移花接木
5 楼
严重声讨,we Chinese 表示这个锅我们不背,谁爱背谁自己背去
盈盈一笑间
6 楼
估计你是没遇到老外的八婆。参见美剧绝望主妇。:)
Oona
7 楼
是,还没有碰到特别能8的:--)。
盈盈一笑间
8 楼
9494。文中那张著名配图里都是老外脸。:)
xia23
9 楼
隔墙有耳!
唐宋韵
10 楼
先赞后读。
方外居士
11 楼
三姑六婆
移花接木
12 楼
Chinese are inscrutable !!!!
唐宋韵
13 楼
If they suggest Chinese whisper twists more than ---

other languages, then a much better-controlled psychological experiemnt is necessary.  And I am actually very interested in knowing the results if there has already been any in controlled experiments.

waterfowl
14 楼
Hmmm, not familiar with this one.
7grizzly
15 楼
And the world is wonderful with them in it :-)
颤音
16 楼
hhh, we have twisted tongues
相关阅读
Makers鲲鹏周行事历 | 9月25日-10月01日【五绝】 玉笙箫起 (十三覃)秋意尽染出租屋Chinese实地调查(field study)Chinese观点| 夏璐等:Chinese authorities respond to people's needs红色日记 12.1-20Women in Chinese Folklore(1)Goddess Chang E理解焦虑——情感漫谈之三摄坛周年笑坛传奇之三十八:啤酒的故事洛杉矶的美食(33)MDR 的海景和美食之二(多图)总领馆领事证件处2023年9月29日、10月2日、10月3日放假通知火了132年!经典老牌𝙐𝙎𝙋𝘼(美国马球协会)打底衫来了!3折抢!真香Coles本周最新打折图表10月25日--10月31日!相聚多伦多(十五)杨潇的爱别离病了,让医疗保险给送饭,好不好?越南权威史料披露:越军在80年代老山前线的战绩面试技巧|如何回答Where do you see yourself in 5 years?和平之餐 (希望中东无大战)A look at former Chinese premier Li Keqiang's legacySpace Race: Why Young Chinese Are Cutting Ties with Relatives折扣来袭!2023年10月14日-15日周末,PERA 悉尼新秀丽箱包特卖会,等你来!享受最低三折起的超值优惠!所有牛奶中都含有雌激素,但怀孕奶牛的牛奶中雌激素含量更高,奶牛每年受精,并在怀孕的大部分时间里挤奶川普前律师珍娜?埃利斯(Jenna Ellis)在佐治亚州选举案中认罪【回家的路】除夕夜宴 (2023 Chinese New Year Gala)(Chinese smile to English smile)中文笑译成英文笑:先来四个,抛砖引玉,各位大神请了!金盆洗手的论语(小说)<1>ChineseChineseCar Crashes Into Chinese Consulate in San FranciscoChinese咀外文嚼汉字(275)覆水“盆”不返,数据人改“竄”(上)chì rè?zhì rè?千词万字“返场赛”来了!中国客户点名要求non真理与谬误有时只始于些微的差别【美坛综艺秀】Chinese poems 诗友接龙(52首)如祺出行、飞天兆业,拟香港/美国上市,备案补充材料要求(2023年10月7日—2023年10月12日)三毛之死
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。