Redian新闻
>
APAD: "Salad days“

APAD: "Salad days“

最西边的岛上
楼主 (文学城)

"Salad days" is an idiom referring to a period of carefree innocence, idealism, and pleasure associated with youth. The modern use describes a heyday, when a person is/was at the peak of their abilities, while not necessarily a youth.

The phrase is attributed to William Shakespeare, who made the first known use of it in his 1606 play "Antony and Cleopatra". In the speech at the end of Act One in which Cleopatra is regretting her youthful dalliances with Julius Caesar she says, "...My salad days, / When I was green in judgment, cold in blood/To say as I said then!"

The phrase became popular only from the middle of the 19th century, coming to mean "a period of youthful inexperience or indiscretion." The metaphor comes from Cleopatra's use of the word 'green'—presumably meaning someone youthful, inexperienced, or immature. Her references to "green" and "cold" both suggest qualities of salads.
-----------------------------

My own "salad days" were those of my university times. Our lives were very simple then: the food were basic, the school dormitories were crowed, and we often had to go to big classes with up to a hundred students packed into a room and some have to sit on the floor sometimes. Also the hunger for lunch during the last morning classes, and the hopeless feeling when I kept failing 800M running test in PE class.  

But still I felt so carefree and so happy, like a sponge soaked in water, was so eager to learn new knowledge each and everyday. So much so that I didn't want to leave school when graduation time came... I just continued and become a grad student.

Now, after learning this idiom, the green and cold salad I have for supper every other day looks more interesting than before :-).

Hope that you don't mind sharing a bit of your "salad days" ;-))    And Happy Thursday to U all !

Bonus: sunset at Tofino long beach - a pic I took in 2009 with a point & shoot camera

移花接木
2 楼
Learned this from the Queen's family video, can't share@work

In her salad days, she was already determined to rule or serve, in a better word, the country and colonies.

最西边的岛上
3 楼
so she was最聪明 vs us &deserved a park at every city Block
妖妖灵
4 楼
The picture looks like a painting!
瓷善家
5 楼
The silhouettes of four people against the sunset,
瓷善家
6 楼
along with their reflections in the water, captured
妖妖灵
7 楼
我找到你的帖帮你转过来了:)
瓷善家
8 楼
a very striking glimpse
瓷善家
9 楼
Nostalgic of my “salad days” in college yet enjoying
瓷善家
10 楼
a new chapter of my “salad days” now with the freedom of
瓷善家
11 楼
an empty nest
移花接木
12 楼
Salute, 看到历史我就有兴趣,一口气看完,看电影都没这耐心,
移花接木
13 楼
我都不记得帖过这个,只记得下载了,截取过几段,上传youtube
最西边的岛上
14 楼
thx. It was a beautiful evening on the beach ... ...
妖妖灵
15 楼
历史当然比电影好看!历史是真的,电影是假的。可惜我上学时不喜欢历史。看你的帖才发现历史好看~
最西边的岛上
16 楼
thx, yes, aMovingMoment & got aLocalAward ;-)
妖妖灵
17 楼
你就负责贴一下,我好像是你的秘书一样,发工资!
最西边的岛上
18 楼
hahaha, been there & done that. 握手!
7grizzly
19 楼
Green and cold, nice! Salad days stories I can relate to!
最西边的岛上
20 楼
R U in US now? Welcome back!!!
7grizzly
21 楼
Yes. Thank you. It was a great trip!
天边一片白云
22 楼
我看过移花推荐的这个视频,可惜我沒记下这个salad day. 今天记住了。
天边一片白云
23 楼
I seems don’t have salad days.
天边一片白云
24 楼
And I don’t eat salad much. But I remember this usage now.
天边一片白云
25 楼
这张图片我还以为是移花照的。
最西边的岛上
26 楼
白云美眉must have been a very mature kid & skipped salad days;-)
最西边的岛上
27 楼
haha, 移花would have done a much better job w/ a fancy camera;
妖妖灵
28 楼
Salad days 在这:
相关阅读
学界有人说全球现代人来自四万年前的非洲移民。可伍万年前印尼就有人类绘画了。在家里做点手工玩。。。Mob研究院:2024年90后高收入人群洞察报告那隽相亲那里,看的我直乐关于智人的定义学界意见不一致,有学者认为智人作为一个物种,专指我们现代人类,大约起源于20多万年前。老大昨天特意请假跑了一次学校庙会跟军工招生官聊了聊,为何申请被翠据,说都是政审不过紧急求助: 爸爸是否该回ICU?她的这个样子其实一点都不意外的2024年9月绿卡排期:职业移民和亲属移民均未变化为什么会看病DIY?“中国比较文学学科的拓荒者”乐黛云逝世,享年93岁这种情况能转入Roth IRA 吗?刚刚发现,CVX 股龄比福虎还长几个月,六十二年,回报率350倍,最高时回报420倍7月5日「知识转化论坛(深港场):人工智能与新能源」圆满落幕 | 科创大赛留学丨留学存档热点问题解答【24年9月】绿卡排期:稳健静息中,等待新财年名额;因为美国移民局采取了这两个新策略现在基本开盘看一下,关盘看一下,剩下时间干点别的;2024年9月美国移民排期地主还是经纪人,哪一个职业更有经济效益?2024年9月美国移民排期更新!毛泽东专用132雪茄烟是如何生产的2024年9月排期表已出,亲属类职业类均无变化啥人算是个中国人?(幽默)。2024财年最后一个月绿卡排期,2024年9月出炉赵姬为赵国立了一功作为一个川粉来谈谈川粉这个群体我吃这么多保健品,怎样提高安全性?大聪明们,做个题再睡In the hottest days without AC出租房的事儿
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。