Redian新闻
>
In the hottest days without AC

In the hottest days without AC

暖冬cool夏
楼主 (文学城)

In the unprecedented record-breaking heatwave days in September, our AC was unbelievably down. It happened last Friday afternoon when we both worked from home.  What timing!

The first thing I did was turn the air-conditioner off and on, the way we handle computer crashes, in the hope that a restart will auto-correct the problem.  

No expected luck.

Sitting downstairs at a desk in front of a closed window with tightly drawn curtains, I still felt the strong blistering heat permeating the glass.

After a few futile hectic calls for technicians, my anxiety grew with the temperature.  “What’s next?” I asked myself. “Didn’t I go through much worse summers in China? Didn’t I survive my childhood dog days without even an electric fan? How could I no longer put up with the weather that I was so used to?”

He came downstairs for the dinner, half-naked with a wet tower hung from his neck.

“How was it upstairs?” I asked, knowingly aware that the temperature there was normally a few degrees higher, especially after the unsheltered roof and walls being exposed to a full day’s scorching sunbake.

“I am like a Wukong roasted in an alchemy furnace.” He teased himself, “But I am still earning bread inside.”

The next two days turned out to be more intolerable, as the heat wave reared its ugly head without any sign of retreat. In the early Saturday morning before the heat wave raged on, he squated down beside the machine and took off its cover, peering into a box that contained colored wires. An initial diagnosis of the broken capacitor was followed by a disappointment of its unavailability at Home Depot or any nearby store. An online order was placed in the end, and the quickest delivery was early next week.

Life goes on, whatsoever. With humidity hovering around 56% and temperature dropping to 80s, we were able to sleep with the help of non-stop whirring fans - - a bionaire window fan from the side and a hanging fan from the ceiling.

Saturday’s night dance was scheduled as usual,  absent the teacher was on her vacation to Europe. Only eight of us showed up. While they were cheered for being brave to step out of air-conditioned rooms, I was embracing a night getaway from the heated dome. In the open air, I whiled away my otherwise sweltering night, in the company of friends, the music, the crescent moon, and later night winds.

The heat would last at least five consecutive days.

On my way home after work on Monday (9/9), I saw plumes of smokes heavily darkening half the sky. It was wildfire again, rampaging through the land we humans don’t cherish.

妖妖灵
2 楼
Very fluent English writing!Couldn't believe u r not an ABC!
妖妖灵
3 楼
I hope your AC works & weather cools ASAP!
暖冬cool夏
4 楼
Thanks,妖mm,for ur encouragement!It cools down today:)学习练习写英语
7grizzly
5 楼
Much to like! My admiration for Wukong goes thru the roof!
暖冬cool夏
6 楼
Same here:) You two are alike. Thanks 4 reading and comment!
7grizzly
7 楼
Debugging the AC and winning bread in the furnace!
暖冬cool夏
8 楼
Like u, he is good at debugging the computer.悟空can upend:)
蓝灵
9 楼
Happy Tuesday to you, 暖冬cool 夏. Such a good read!
蓝灵
10 楼
Despite the lack of air conditioning and extreme
蓝灵
11 楼
temperatures, you folks found ways to cope. Your personal
蓝灵
12 楼
story highlights the resilience of individuals in the face
蓝灵
13 楼
of adversity. I'm touched. Stay cool!
暖冬cool夏
14 楼
I am touched,蓝灵,for your comments! I am so fortunate to have
暖冬cool夏
15 楼
you,whose mastery of English is superb, as a model/mentor
暖冬cool夏
16 楼
and to look up to. Many thanks,蓝灵!
godog
17 楼
A really nice writing turning ordinary life experiences into

A really nice writing turning ordinary life experiences into very enjoyable reading! You know the art of words.

"I saw plumes of smokes heavily darkening half the sky. " Maybe it's more common to say it this way: "I saw plumes of heavy smokes darkening half the sky"?

暖冬cool夏
18 楼
谢谢Go兄指正!You know what,“heavily“ was added after the sent

after the sentence was pretty much completed,without a second thought. You are right that using an adjective instead will be more concise. Thanks for pointing it out, Go兄!

天边一片白云
19 楼
暖冬is very good at writing. Enliy reading it.
暖冬cool夏
20 楼
Thank you,白云mm. Just practice:))
天边一片白云
21 楼
我们家好多年前有一次空调也是在最热的时候坏了。如果找人修,开盖就要收钱,不管能不能修好。
妖妖灵
22 楼
“I am like a Wukong roasted in an alchemy furnace.”
天边一片白云
23 楼
后来我们自己换了一个电容就好了。一般店里没有,在一个不起眼的小店里买的。那时网上购物不像现在那么普遍。
妖妖灵
24 楼
“But I am still earning bread inside.” 哈哈哈哈哈,笑cry了:)
天边一片白云
25 楼
希望你换上电容就好。
暖冬cool夏
26 楼
谢谢白云mm!是的,还好那天没人愿意上门修,否则起步价就是100大洋。我们已经在亚马逊上买了电容,就寄到。天也已凉。
暖冬cool夏
27 楼
哈哈,能都妖mm“笑cry“了,开心:) 他喜欢开玩笑,脑筋里就装这些东西:)谢谢妖mm!
renqiulan
28 楼
Spiritually speaking, you two must have consumed immortal
renqiulan
29 楼
peaches and elixir. That's probably why Sun Wukong survived
renqiulan
30 楼
the Brazier of Eight Trigrams. Even though the heat
renqiulan
31 楼
was intense, you two seemed to maintain your cool. If that's
renqiulan
32 楼
not a testament to your strong character,
renqiulan
33 楼
I don't know what is. Getting around the heat is beating it.
瓷善家
34 楼
Very nice writing! Saw the news about wildfire in SoCal and
瓷善家
35 楼
you live there? Hope this is the last heatwave before fall
瓷善家
36 楼
arrives.
暖冬cool夏
37 楼
Thanks, 秋兰,for your compliment. You and 蓝灵 set exemplary
暖冬cool夏
38 楼
roles and models for us to follow in English writing and中文诗词
暖冬cool夏
39 楼
We're fortunate to have you as the company that uplifts us谢谢
暖冬cool夏
40 楼
Thank u 瓷mm for ur compliment! Yes, I live in SoCal几乎每年都有山火
相关阅读
人寿保险经纪说了,不可撤销信托税收入税很高。所以还是要10M以上搞基金会才行?【双龙齐舞庆中秋】风的形状 by 赛娅风景柠檬椰#英语学习#英语俗语:Grass is always greener(on the other side)大家有没有经验,喝用各种豆类做的杂豆粥,血糖升的快吗?想象一下如果在美国,沈磊失踪报警以后。。。Woolworths 8月14日-8月20日打折,porterhouse牛排6折Up or Out: The Ruthless Tenure Race for Young Chinese Scholars终于看到了我最强的小三啦实际上,俄乌战场的所谓无人机大都是宣传品而已。请教有和PM打交道的地主【双龙齐舞庆中秋】之王母娘娘瑶池大会请教jenny 关于1031置换房子的折旧税务问题BQ干货 | "What's your greatest strength?"Baidu’s Mass Robotaxi Rollout Stirs Heated Debate in China引擎刹车的几个问题APAD: "Win without fighting"【双龙齐舞庆中秋】暖场《来与不来我都在等你》Going for Gold: The Chinese Athletes to Watch at Paris 2024请问如果Harris上台,卖自住房明年是不是需要多交税, everything else equal?第117张Deloitte Offer!Columbia研究生学员斩获Deloitte上海2024年校招全职(非转正)Offer逢低累积ETFs: 油气,陆股,铁矿北加湾区收入20Urban Outfitters夏促2折起!H&B保健4折!Acne Studios半价!中国故土中国官方发布的历年人口数字与三年困难时期人口非正常死亡的估计Chinese Hit the Slopes to Escape Brutal Summer HeatAPAD: A woman’s work is never done2024财年最后一个月绿卡排期,2024年9月出炉APAD: "Salad days“房东可以拒绝吗?
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。