Redian新闻
>
The greatest American debate on English grammar

The greatest American debate on English grammar

renqiulan
楼主 (文学城)

Only Americans have the humility to call the United States an Imperfect Union. Only Americans have the audacity to promise themselves a More Perfect Union. We don't even care if "More Perfect" makes grammatical sense. But then we are Americans. Grammatical sense be damned.

Grammatical sense be damned? Not so fast.

In 1776 Americans had actually kicked off the greatest grammar debate in the history of the English-speaking world. To make the long story short, some of the American founders argued for "inalienable rights" regarding the early versions of the Declaration of Independence. When it came to the final version, though, they conceded to the majority who voted for "unalienable rights." Interestingly, modern American dictionaries prefer "inalienable" as a proper adjective. 

Unalienable rights, however, have long been declared enough but not exercised enough. Consequently or consequentially, our history shows a gnawing gap between rights declared and rights exercised. With that being said, this gnawing gap keeps narrowing. If that's not progress, I don't know what is.

Can we imagine a world without America? Can we imagine an America without unalienable rights enshrined in its Declaration of Independence?

Author: renqiulan

(Google image)

盈盈一笑间
2 楼
沙发~ ~
renqiulan
3 楼
Comfy?
盈盈一笑间
4 楼
"inalienable rights" 和 "unalienable rights" 的差别
盈盈一笑间
5 楼
Of course! haha
盈盈一笑间
6 楼
Last summer I visited Philadelphia. It's an unforgettable
renqiulan
7 楼
Actually, you are in the driving seat.
Zhuzitaba
8 楼
No grammar is perfect

Some people say that

neither 

"They nod their head."

nor

"They nod their heads."

is grammatically right.

盈盈一笑间
9 楼
experience to learn and appreciate American history.
renqiulan
10 楼
Well, "inalienable" originates from a combination of the
renqiulan
11 楼
prefix in- and alienable via the Middle French aliénable.
renqiulan
12 楼
It goes without saying that nothing is
renqiulan
13 楼
truly perfect. Correct me if I'm wrong.
renqiulan
14 楼
Like inalienable, unalienable originates from the
renqiulan
15 楼
prefix un– and alienable via the Middle French aliénable
renqiulan
16 楼
and was first recorded in 1610–20.
renqiulan
17 楼
When I visited the Birthplace of American Independence
66的山梁
18 楼
Wow, Qiulan is here! 问好!
renqiulan
19 楼
in Philadelphia as a little kid, I thought it was a
renqiulan
20 楼
school building!
renqiulan
21 楼
Hi,66的山梁! How's it going?
盈盈一笑间
22 楼
Thanks for sharing.How do you translate these two words into
盈盈一笑间
23 楼
Chinese? What's the difference? :)
盈盈一笑间
24 楼
The Independence Hall in Philadelphia?haha
renqiulan
25 楼
Could you give it a try. in the context of the
renqiulan
26 楼
First Amendment?
盈盈一笑间
27 楼
Absolutely! We're all in this together. :)
盈盈一笑间
28 楼
欢迎66来美坛,问好 ~ ~
方外居士
29 楼
inalienable: 不可剥夺的。unalienable:未被剥夺的。
renqiulan
30 楼
And the cracked Liberty Bell...
盈盈一笑间
31 楼
查了中英字典,都是 ”不可剥夺的“的意思?
renqiulan
32 楼
so imperfect and yet so indispensable to a noble cause.
盈盈一笑间
33 楼
多谢居士兄分享
renqiulan
34 楼
Close. It implies something that is "God-given."
renqiulan
35 楼
They both originate from a Middle French term "aliénable."
方外居士
36 楼
inalienable: 不可剥夺的。unalienable:没有可剥夺的。
renqiulan
37 楼
可以意译作‘’天赋权利‘’吗?
盈盈一笑间
38 楼
应该是这个意思。

非常好的帖子!大赞!

多谢秋兰的分享!

我明天一早要上班。晚安了  :)

TJKCB
39 楼
[unalienable rights] = Chinglish :-)
方外居士
40 楼
Same as 不可剥夺的
7grizzly
41 楼
Why? I thought the 2nd was correct. No?
盈盈一笑间
42 楼
Just like "long time no see"?
方外居士
43 楼
哈哈哈,可否演义一二?
7grizzly
44 楼
When a story is that good, its grammar is moot :-)
renqiulan
45 楼
I doubt it.
renqiulan
46 楼
Goodnight, 盈盈!
renqiulan
47 楼
You have a good answer to your good question.
renqiulan
48 楼
Thank you, 方外居士!
颤音
49 楼
in- vs un-,感觉头很大,哈哈哈,谢谢秋兰
renqiulan
50 楼
Would you care to elaborate? Thank you, TJKCB !
renqiulan
51 楼
Yup, that.
方外居士
52 楼
同感!头痛病一直没有好过!
renqiulan
53 楼
请方外居士作指路明灯!
renqiulan
54 楼
You are not serious, are you?
renqiulan
55 楼
开国诸君已投票通过了"unalienable",这是史实。当然,史实未必符合现实。
renqiulan
56 楼
方外居士保重!
renqiulan
57 楼
颤音好,谢谢!
CBA7
58 楼
Perfect is perfect, perfect can't be more perfect for sure!
方外居士
59 楼
“天赋人权”仅仅是用了宗教性的语言来说同一件事,make it holly-like
CBA7
60 楼
A world without America would be imperfect,
CBA7
61 楼
especially no MYSJ any more :)
renqiulan
62 楼
Our founding fathers had a good sense of humor, right?
7grizzly
63 楼
Why not?
renqiulan
64 楼
I hate to break it to you, but a world WITH America is still
CBA7
65 楼
Great post by a great MYSJ painter Qiulan :) 谢谢秋兰分享。
renqiulan
66 楼
IMPERFECT!
CBA7
67 楼
You're absolutely right.
renqiulan
68 楼
Don't get me wrong, though. I mean, chasing perfection is
CBA7
69 楼
Anyway, a world WITH America is MORE perfect :)
renqiulan
70 楼
like chasing sunrise. We need to see hope on the horizon.
CBA7
71 楼
Yes, they did :)
renqiulan
72 楼
I'm taking a joy ride. You're doing the heavy lifting.
CBA7
73 楼
Great thought. I cannot agree more.
renqiulan
74 楼
Or less imperfect. Yin and yang.
renqiulan
75 楼
Now you are really serious. I like that. Goodnight!
renqiulan
76 楼
Thanks. Call it chicken soup for the soul.
renqiulan
77 楼
American founders are all religious men.
CBA7
78 楼
Yes, less imperfect! Perfect word pick!
renqiulan
79 楼
I'm just finger-painting something, like a preschooler. Haha
CBA7
80 楼
You're too humble. If that is the case, then I'm a newborn.
renqiulan
81 楼
See? I'm shrewd enough to err on the safe side.
renqiulan
82 楼
Speaking of "a newborn," Homer's following verse comes back
renqiulan
83 楼
to me: "When the early-born (ērigeneia), rose-fingered
renqiulan
84 楼
(rhododaktylos) dawn appeared." This, I'm told, is an
renqiulan
85 楼
ancient Greek phrase used by Homer to say
renqiulan
86 楼
"when the day broke out." Homer IS truly a painter.
CBA7
87 楼
See, you know everything! Thank you for sharing.
renqiulan
88 楼
I know NOTHING. I'm trying to dream up something. Goodnight!
CBA7
89 楼
Good night. Best wishes to your dream :)
方外居士
90 楼
心灵鸡汤!
TJKCB
91 楼
unalienable rights vs. long time no see = Chinglish :-),,,,

The phrase "[unalienable rights] = Chinglish :-)" is a playful and somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment that draws attention to the use of the term "unalienable rights" in the context of the Declaration of Independence and how it may be perceived in contemporary language.

Here's an explanation of the elements in the comment:

"[Unalienable Rights]": This refers to the phrase "unalienable rights," which appears in the Declaration of Independence. It means rights that cannot be surrendered, transferred, or taken away because they are considered inherent and fundamental to every individual.

"Chinglish":-): The term "Chinglish" is a blend of "Chinese" and "English" and is used to describe a form of language or communication that results from the literal translation of Chinese phrases into English, often leading to humorous or awkward expressions. It's typically used to highlight translation or language quirks in a light-hearted manner.

"Just like 'long time no see'?": This part of the comment draws a parallel between the use of "unalienable rights" and the phrase "long time no see." "Long time no see" is considered an example of Chinglish because it's a direct translation of a Chinese phrase (好久不见, hǎo jiǔ bù jiàn) into English. It's not a standard English phrase but is widely understood and used informally.

So, the comment playfully suggests that "unalienable rights" may seem like an unusual or awkward phrase in modern English, similar to how "long time no see" is considered an unusual but accepted expression. It's a lighthearted way of highlighting the historical and linguistic aspects of the Declaration of Independence while acknowledging that language can evolve and sometimes produce idiosyncratic phrases over time.

"unalienable rights" may seem like an unusual or awkward phrase in modern English, similar to how "long time no see" is considered an unusual but accepted expression. It's a lighthearted way of highlighting the historical and linguistic aspects of the Declaration of Independence while acknowledging that language can evolve and sometimes produce idiosyncratic phrases over time.

The preference for "unalienable rights" over "inalienable rights" in the context of the Declaration of Independence and American discourse is rooted in historical and linguistic factors. Here's an explanation of this preference and the distinction:

1. Historical Influence: The terms "unalienable rights" and "inalienable rights" are used interchangeably in many contexts and have similar meanings. However, in the context of the Declaration of Independence, "unalienable rights" is the term that Thomas Jefferson used in his draft of the document. This specific wording holds historical significance, as it is the version that was adopted and signed by the Continental Congress on July 4, 1776. The historical document itself, with "unalienable rights," is a foundational symbol of American independence and ideals.

2. Linguistic Evolution: The preference for "unalienable" in American usage could also be influenced by the evolving nature of language. Language is dynamic, and over time, word forms and meanings can change. In this case, "unalienable" and "inalienable" both convey the idea of rights that cannot be transferred or surrendered, but "unalienable" is the term that gained prominence and acceptance in the United States. It's possible that the unique linguistic history of American English contributed to this preference.

3. Regional Variations: American English and British English often exhibit differences in spelling, vocabulary, and usage. These variations can result from historical, cultural, and linguistic factors. In the case of "unalienable rights," it reflects the American preference for a particular form of the term that has become deeply ingrained in American political and historical discourse.

Overall, the preference for "unalienable rights" in American usage, as seen in the Declaration of Independence, can be attributed to its historical significance and linguistic evolution within the United States. While "inalienable rights" is a valid term and is used in other English-speaking countries, "unalienable rights" is firmly established in American history and remains a key phrase associated with American ideals of liberty and independence.

天玉之
92 楼
哈哈,有趣!Sounds more like a communist country with the unaliena

-ble rights : )

Zhuzitaba
93 楼
Second might mean that each of them has more than one head

此时此刻,中文就好了:他们点点头。无关单复数

Zhuzitaba
94 楼
inalienable = unalienable :) In my area, instable = unstable
dhyang_wxc
95 楼
According to etymology dictionary, in- means "not,

opposite of, without"; un- means simply "not". The americans appreciate simple. 

一个猜想:For open ended questions, un-; for close ended or half-half questions, in-. There is untrue, ungodly, no intrue, ingodly. Undo, yes, Indo-, no...

renqiulan
96 楼
Thanks for your thoughts.
renqiulan
97 楼
Ditto in my neck of the woods.
renqiulan
98 楼
From where you took off, you could let your imagination fly.
AutoFill123
99 楼
“More perfect” doesn’t make sense semantically,

but it does grammatically

盈盈一笑间
100 楼
谢谢秋兰,谢谢网管,The greatest American debate on English grammar
盈盈一笑间
101 楼
推荐文学城首页成功
renqiulan
102 楼
感谢!
66的山梁
103 楼
恭贺盈盈荣任版主!
相关阅读
中国证监会:境外发行上市备案补充材料要求(2023年9月22日—2023年9月28日)What is considered living in a house?"妈妈让我来自首",7岁男孩在派出所写下"bǎozhèng书"Briton blamed American's cowboy abusing British's English(Chinese smile to English smile)中文笑译成英文笑:先来四个,抛砖引玉,各位大神请了!Chinese《水韵江南》&《等待》After the Rains, Beijing Residents Begin Counting Their Losses请教各位老师,接受了offer,检查发现空调是20多年的,Extreme Drinking Claims Another Chinese Livestreamer紫檀有多少父母会掏全额学费送孩子到这些学校:American university, Babson college,今年的总结来的有点早我最近特别喜欢 Margaritas !Erklärung zur Zusammenarbeit近墨者不黑,谁能做到?English teachers of my generation:Shen Baoqing (and Peng Wenlan)How Residents Are Rebuilding Shanghai’s Urban Communitiesnǚ hóng?nǚ gōng拿破仑的阳刚美和老佛爷的女人腿谈谈social mobility前世今生苹果情刀郎的罗刹海市现代文明和近代中国 (1-6 章,目录链接)上海老电影院勒内·马格里特(René Magritte):艺术,就是用想象力去窥探我们的内心【异人之下】21集 张天师怒杀全性代掌门,王也被逐下山回家,张楚岚继续调查身世之谜Chinese安大略湖里的天鹅ChineseChinese上山下鄉赤腳醫[9月26日]科学历史上的今天——金·赫尔尼(Jean Amédée Hoerni)美国军方确认:an American drone has been shot downYoung Chinese Obsess Over MBTI, the American Personality TestChinese汉莎航空三遇 之一 六国游变成七国游The Bookstore Giving Shanghai’s Women a Room of Their Own高迪的奎尔公园Mrs. Lincoln's dressmaker & Miss Eliza’s English kitchen【美坛综艺秀】Happy Farmer & Greatest Show On Earth
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。