Fast Car

godog
楼主 (文学城)

This past Monday I came home from work. As I pulled up to my driveway, my neighbor's son came to talk to me. He is a young adult and still lives with his parents. He wanted to show me the car he just bought. It's a used 2020 Subaru Crosstrek with forty thousand miles on it. It's a cool crossover and looked much newer than the 2000 Toyota Camry he had that already registered 170k miles. He was really excited and proud. He told me his monthly payment of the car will be about $400 and it's quite a bit for him since he works at a grocery store and doesn't make a lot. His mom had to cosign the auto loan for him.

I congralatuted him and quipped, "Now there is a big motivation for you and your wife to make more money. The best part is you got a fast car, fast enough so you can fly away."

The last sentence referenced the hit country music song "Fast Car" by country music star Luke Combs, originally written by singer Tracy Chapman in 1988. The song is about two young lovers' struggles and the uplifting story of them striving for a better life while working in a grocery store.

Tonight, during the Country Music Award (CMA) ceremony, "Fast Car" won the song of the year for Tracy Chapman 35 years after she wrote the song, and also won the single of the year for Luke Combs after he released a cover of the song in July this year that resurged the song's popularity.

Luke Comb's version of the song:

https://youtu.be/Fr7oYjnt3bM?feature=shared

Tracy Chapman's version of the song:

https://youtu.be/yvGfVdx-gNo?feature=shared

盈盈一笑间
2 楼
This old song stuck out to me now because of your neighbor’s
盈盈一笑间
3 楼
story. “ I've been working at the convenience store Managed
盈盈一笑间
4 楼
to save just a little bit of money“. Impressive!
盈盈一笑间
5 楼
It seems the song is just for him~ ~
godog
6 楼
It's remarkable it won CMA song of year 35 years later
godog
7 楼
He is in a better situation as he can live with his parents
Oona
8 楼
我要大力的赞你!我们勤奋努力的精神给懒散的美国人一针清醒剂,乃是我们为这个国家做的精神贡献之一:-)
7grizzly
9 楼
Some believe in improving life through, not books or school,
7grizzly
10 楼
but a fast car :-)
waterfowl
11 楼
I like the Tracy Chapman version.
godog
12 楼
谢谢!您这么一说把我的贴子提高了一个境界。
godog
13 楼
You know most people need material things to motivate them.
godog
14 楼
This award further cemented her legend status.
godog
15 楼
Not many recording artists can write a long lasting song
相关阅读
“党文化”的“我们”问题2023年10月9日价格早报四哥的幸福生活OMG, we are in multiple car crash今天生日20 天道的BUG抚顺琥珀BoA 信用卡 More Rewards Day 活动:2023年11月9日所有消费+2%返现(但有上限了)【开始了】和闺女一起晨跑自己三次卖房记2023年10月9日历史上的今天南山國畫癸卯之夏讣告:已于2023年11月9日22时离世没有图书的年代,手抄《少女之心》风靡全国老烟记事(383) 阿庆嫂Car Crashes Into Chinese Consulate in San Francisco不作恶是做人的底线21 送你一个奥特曼看看老大校园群大概接近期末了,一拨一拨的求助啊,都不是求补习了,都是啥这门课要当了咋办?JB HI-FI本周最新打折图表! 11月9日 - 11月15日!!从摩洛哥回来,倒时差发帖,一个误操作,没了社区秋韵Go fast, go far? Fun facts behind APAD19 我是来拯救地球的CA car registration 都470了22 出道8点1氪:董宇辉官宣2024年1月9日开播;百度关联方Moon终止YY收购协议;马斯克再次成世界首富BoA 信用卡 More Rewards Day 活动:2023年11月9日所有消费+2%返现(但有上限了)爱琴海边的晨跑如何修禅定哥德巴赫猜想投入地爱一次 亲爱的朋友速腾聚创等3家企业完成赴港上市备案 附上市备案情况表(截至2023年11月9日)最新英语周刊分享:New Yorker《纽约客》2023年10月9日一个地球,三个世界:北京,华沙,拉沃苏珊米勒每日运势2023年10月9日存在即合理。汉文化上下千年至今, 必有其存在的合理性猫江湖温村那一树树好吃的花请不请专业人士,是个问题
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。