Redian新闻
>
APAD: Might makes right

APAD: Might makes right

移花接木
楼主 (文学城)

Might makes right

Might makes right or Might is right is an aphorism on the origin of morality, with both descriptive and prescriptive senses.

Descriptively, it asserts that a society's view of right and wrong is determined by those in power, with a meaning similar to "History is written by the victors". That is, although all people have their personal ideas of the good, only those strong enough to overcome obstacles and enemies can put their ideas into effect, and spread their own standards to society at large. Montague defined kratocracy or kraterocracy (from the Ancient Greek: κρ?τος, romanized: krátos, lit. 'might; strength') as a government based on coercive power, by those strong enough to seize control through physical violence or demagogic manipulation.

Prescriptively (or normatively), the phrase is most often used pejoratively, to protest perceived tyranny.

The phrase sometimes has a positive connotation in the context of master morality or social Darwinism, which hold that a society's strongest members should rule and determine its standards of right and wrong, as well as its goals for the greater good。

最西边的岛上
2 楼
And Might might not be democracy?

A heated debate:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PoliticalDiscussion/comments/li7rh/how_is_democracy_different_than_might_makes_right/

移花接木
3 楼
right, might is absolutely prescriptive, might or might not
移花接木
4 楼
American Democracy rose, British Colonialism down after WWII
移花接木
5 楼
democracy is mighter
7grizzly
6 楼
Good to learn 'kratocracy,' though not a dictionary word.
妖妖灵
7 楼
统治阶级说了算。Learned a lot of new words. “master morality”什么意思?
最西边的岛上
8 楼
I know. ;-)
7grizzly
9 楼
Might be just prevailing morality, perpetrated by the ruling
移花接木
10 楼
prescriptively right! 大概就是指master阶层的morality, 说法来自尼采,同理
移花接木
11 楼
slave morality
移花接木
12 楼
看看这一段
妖妖灵
13 楼
一上升到哲学高度,觉得英文好难:)
妖妖灵
14 楼
你的词也好难,越发看不懂了:)
移花接木
15 楼
一句话,Noble的人配拥有master morality
最西边的岛上
16 楼
哈哈,对我来说,哲学就是难!有好玩时候,也有脑袋大想逃跑时候,out of sight out of mind ;-)
方外居士
17 楼
拳头大的有理。力強者有理。
妖妖灵
18 楼
哈哈,我实在是不懂。我也不怕人笑话,今天大拿们都在,正好搞明白点:)
妖妖灵
19 楼
master morality是统治者道德观吗?“prescriptively right”是规范者正确?还是规范者权利
妖妖灵
20 楼
prescriptively是形容词还是副词?什么意思?
盈盈一笑间
21 楼
社会达尔文主义还蛮冷酷的
盈盈一笑间
22 楼
想到俄乌战争了, 今天是2周年。在楼上跟一个新闻。
7grizzly
23 楼
Good to know!
7grizzly
24 楼
Sorry. I just meant popular morality.
方外居士
25 楼
是啊,东方哲学不崇尚力强者胜,西方哲学则确实如此。justice is power
godog
26 楼
So, Mr. Right is Mr. Might?
移花接木
27 楼
might makes right, 如果你说它是:力量决定正义,这就是Descriptive,相当于直意
移花接木
28 楼
might makes right 如果你说它是:利用强势欺负弱势,这就是Prescriptive,字面没说但有此含义
移花接木
29 楼
打倒尼采
移花接木
30 楼
东方哲学?包括日本了吗?东方哲学虚伪,不这么说事实确如此
移花接木
31 楼
which might is which?
7grizzly
32 楼
What for? What did the poor guy do? :-)
移花接木
33 楼
master,slave违背社会主义核心价值观
7grizzly
34 楼
Okay. 罪名可以是“寻衅滋事” :-)
最西边的岛上
35 楼
FYI:尼采在中国(1902—2000)(for fun reading ;-)

https://www.163.com/dy/article/FVQQL1FF0541LBHV.html

7grizzly
36 楼
thank you! Good to know his impact. I like a few quotes

but am not really interested in Nitzsche. To me, philosophy has to be simple, like APAD :-)))

相关阅读
Yes, Texas has the right to defend itself嫉妒的心灵不美丽星星们,元宵节快乐作别流年追踪 Klimt 克里姆特,从维也纳到纽约硅谷环影(可以环成一张360度的大图)。。《Who Makes Me Forget My Age?》猜灯谜,闹元宵(有奖)ZT ~ 狗知新婿Makers鲲鹏周行事历 | 01月29日-02月04日两首《万家灯火》2024年2月排期 | EB5小幅前进,表B保持开放别人女大赚了1米,我不羡慕,曾经拥有,跌下100,吃不消了,投资2024年2月美国移民排期出炉:不倒退即胜利,哪些类别有所前进?我的初中(二):安得广厦千万间证监会对1家企业拟美国上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月26日—2024年2月1日)美股基本面 - 2023_12_31 * 晨报 * 一入江湖岁月催!心中有基本,临危不慌张。新年快乐,来年再战。我胡汉三马上就要回来了,想死你们啦摇呀摇 摇元宵2024年3月21-24日广州蔡敏莉导师九型人格训练:谁在制约你?2024年2月排期速报:F2A、EB-5迎来前进!德彪西的音乐图像:引言victoria beckham骨折这个怎么选?2023虽然过的不尽人意但是也要总结一下!2024年2月绿卡排期:EB-5和F2-A略有前进,表B开放《风雨无阻》 by 豆星坛春晚获奖感言预售开启!华人励志电影《Sight》于5月24日全美上映!《再见,布里诺斯艾利斯》带房私 | 伦敦金融城2月求租;杜伦预算£100-£150,2月可入住;南安普顿市区求一个单间;更多求租持续更新!(2月4日)73岁有5M的退休金不难,难的是73之前不取关于朱令铊中毒的一点讨论2024年2月最新移民排期发布:EB-5及F2-A略有前进,表B开放First place!One Pedal Driving 几问挖个坑,如果以后女儿女婿经济拮据或者因为工作似的方便,你会让他们住家里吗?假如你已经73岁了,保持怎样的生活,你可以在100岁时给子孙妥妥地留下10米?看有的坦友的帖子有感:)给裸根兰花安家,一起新年快乐小 5:笑友,您怎样才会快乐呢?
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。