Redian新闻
>
《“多重事实”的迷思》(One event / incident, multiple facts?)

《“多重事实”的迷思》(One event / incident, multiple facts?)

唐宋韵
楼主 (文学城)

【“多重事实”的迷思】(One event / incident, multiple facts?)

很多年前,在我做第二期博士后的时候,碰到了一个有些“特别”的老板。他算是学界大佬,是我们这个方向知名学术刊物的主编,手上经费很充足。他让我带两个人,负责他的一个项目。几百万美元的基金已经拿到手,但需要出数据、发文章。

In the past, when I was on my second postdoc stint, my advisor was quite "special". He was a big shot in academia, the editor-in-chief of a well-known academic journal in our field, and had ample funding. He asked me to lead a team of a couple of assistants, responsible for one of his projects. We had already secured grants of several million dollars, but we needed to produce data and publish articles.

我在他的实验室每周至少干70个小时,然而一年以后进展甚微。大约在2007年冬天的一个傍晚,在他的巨型办公室,我俩有一段不长的交谈。我们分坐在对角线的位置,相隔10米不止。黄昏天色黑下来,他不开灯,暗得脸都看不清。那气氛真是几分肃杀。我告诉他,他想要的data不可能得到。我详细地向他论证、说明,告诉他谁也做不到。

I worked at least 70 hours per week in his lab, but couldn’t achieve much after a whole year.  On a winter evening around 2007, in his massive office, we had a brief conversation. We sat diagonally across from each other, more than 10 meters apart. The dusk settled in, and he didn't turn on the lights, making the room so dim that faces couldn't be clearly seen. The atmosphere was somewhat oppressive. I told him that the data he wanted was impossible to obtain. I elaborated and explained in detail, telling him that it was an unattainable task for anyone.

然而他却说,你那么聪明的人是应该能得到的。我争辩说,他提出模型有问题,不可能得到预期的东西 — That’s the fact.

However, he insisted, saying that someone as intelligent as me should be able to get it. I argued that the model he proposed was flawed, and it was impossible to achieve the expected results—that's the fact.

屋子的那一端传来他的笑声。no, no, no,他说,假如马路上出了一个交通事故,你站在马路的一边,我站在马路的另一边 – Then, we are seeing two different facts.

Laughter emanated from his end of the room. "No, no, no," he said, "Imagine there's a traffic accident on the road. You're standing on one side, and I'm on the other – then, we are seeing two different facts."

我目瞪口呆……几个月以后,我离开了他的实验室去了公司。

I was shocked… A few months later, I left his lab and joined the industry.

那一年半,从某种意义上讲是不堪回首的。但他那句振聋发聩的话,却在后来的日子里对我颇有帮助 — 在看人和想事、做事诸方面都有难以言状的启发。而且,近距离观察大佬和他的左膀右臂们组成的shady圈子,也是难得的人生经历。

That year and a half, in some ways, was not something I would want to revisit. But his stunning words actually have been helpful to me in the days that followed—making me in understanding people, thinking about things, and approaching tasks from a different angle that are hard to put into words. Additionally, witnessing the shady circler of the big shot and his right-hand people up close was a rare life experience.

由于这样一个经历,我后来也经常思考one event/incident,multiple facts 是否合理的问题。我了解到,在英语里,fact与reality是有些不同的(我暂把truth,belief等放在一边)。Reality是一个总体,一个比较抽象的概念。记得有一次在一个博览会上,我跟一个公司的业务员说你们公司的口号“Help scientists to do science“ 挺好,他马上说这不是slogan,这是reality。我想他是要强调的是这是公司的总体定位,不需要具体的例子。而fact是构成reality的具体方面,它经常是可观察、可测量的,也是可以根据某些标准作结论的。比如从科学实验的结果看,尼古丁具有很强的成瘾性,这是fact;但从社会现实和社会规则来看,吸烟并不等同于吸毒,这又是另一个fact。

Due to this experience, I often pondered the question of whether "one event / incident, multiple facts" is reasonable. I learned that in English, "fact" and "reality" are somewhat different (I put aside other concepts, such as "truth" and "belief"). Reality is a general concept, a more abstract idea. I remember once at an expo, I told a company's salesperson that their slogan "Help scientists to do science" was good, and he immediately said it's not a slogan; it's reality. I think he wanted to emphasize that it's the overall positioning of the company, not needing specific examples. A fact is a specific aspect that makes up reality; it is often observable, measurable, and can be concluded based on certain standards. For example, from the results of a scientific experiment, nicotine is highly addictive—that's a fact. But from the perspective of societal norms and rules, smoking is not equivalent to drug use—that's another fact.

但我依然有无解的困惑:用我前老板的例子,马路的两侧假如看到的(或者录像中显示的)是相互矛盾的facts,那么法律上怎么判定呢?或者,这种矛盾其实根本不应该存在?

Yet, I still have unsolved puzzles: in the example of my former boss, if the facts seen (or shown in videos) on both sides of the road are contradictory, how does the law make a judgment? Or, such a contradiction actually shouldn’t exist?

【英文根据ChatGPT版编辑、修改】

更多我的博客文章>>> 《唐宋韵》48.《除夜作》高适 《“多重事实”的迷思》(One event / incident, multiple facts?) 【斯人已逝(之三:Tony)】 《金陵五题》(选二) 刘禹锡 (Five nostalgic poems on Nanjing) 【愿那灯火的盛宴重新点燃】
永远老李
2 楼
前段时间,美国就有所谓'Alternative fact"的提法

怎么说呢?在美国政坛,这种说法很可能站得住脚,一群PLOLITICIANS鸡一嘴鸭一嘴把水搅浑,各说各的,天知道谁说得是真的。其实都不是什么好东西。

但是我觉得这种APPROACH在波音公司在空客行不通,飞得起来就是飞得起来,飞不起来就是飞不起来,好就是好,不好就是不好,安全就是安全,不安全就是不安全。这里没有你一个看法我一个看法。

前段时间斯坦佛校长被搞下去了

唐宋韵
3 楼
在很多事情上,狡辩的空间是很大的,即便是你说的“飞起来”和“安全”,也有不同的角度和标准。
永远老李
4 楼
我感觉这时一个相当冷酷的硬指标。世界上只有这两家能造大型飞机

造民用发动机的也是区区可数的那么两三家。这不是社交媒体打嘴仗谁说都有道理,出了问题飞机会掉下来会死人

盈盈一笑间
5 楼
worked at least 70 hours per week。。这是在中国老板的实验室?:))
盈盈一笑间
6 楼
facts和truth的区别是什么呢?怎么觉得实验室老板有偷换概念的嫌疑呢?
唐宋韵
7 楼
不是。大学里理工博士猴干70小时不罕见。
唐宋韵
8 楼
所以我说他shady啊。他实验室的人分4等,一个黑社会。
盈盈一笑间
9 楼
遇到坏老板,上班如上坟。果断离开,及时止损,为上策。
豆青
10 楼
+1
豆青
11 楼
Fact is based on reality, but reality is influenced by fact
唐宋韵
12 楼
I agree w/ the 2nd half of this sentence, but not 1st half.
唐宋韵
13 楼
至少“安全”与否,是可以通过嘴皮子调整的。
7grizzly
14 楼
The ousted Stanford head seemed to run another 黑社会 :-)
盈盈一笑间
15 楼
难道是校友?请展开说说。:)
相关阅读
OMG, we are in multiple car crashTUM、LMU食堂纷纷罢工!泼天的富贵这次轮到Döner店了?颜色​京东成为2024春晚独家互动合作平台;支付宝集五福1月29日开始;长城汽车2023年营收1734.1亿元……《高原红》 为唱坛好声音拱火、浇油。小说:A Video的传说 2any one cares for skiing? Zermatt, the paradise支付宝连国际信用卡(capital one), 回国每次支付都被拒一不小心,闯入北美最大的野牛群我行走在“鸟巢”的“顶美空中走廊” (多图)特斯拉----短线或仅作壁上观癌症病人,后期是怎麽过的?【唱坛好声音】【专题报道之五】海选四这俩是谁家的女儿?厉害!Pick one: $100K or a degree from Harvard过来人谈谈申请大学时FAFSA, CSS 的迷思2023【唱坛好声音】11/29终极海选日公告【固定收益】REITs深度观察 | 公募REITs反向吸并完成情况良好——公募REITs2023年10月报​【固定收益】REITs深度观察丨一级市场提振,关注园区办公运营——公募REITs2023年11月报张辽为什么厉害 ?民国人,原来是个正常人格passport, 看来,到死也只能站在递申请的等候队伍里了。Go fast, go far? Fun facts behind APAD中科大发布2023年学术期刊负面清单!神刊Plos One、Molecules、ncology系列在列!APAD: One man's meat is another man's poison证监会对6家企业拟香港/美国上市,出具备案补充材料要求(反馈意见)(2024年1月19日—2024年1月25日)一首特别喜欢的校园歌曲《青春》 One of My favorite Campus Lyrics: YOUTHRecalling A Snowing Feast. 忆雪 (and one more)经络检测仪及其检测方法基辛格《论中国》(On China)实用表达丨致敬老朋友Base Toronto丨Evercore开放金融类Events邀请函:2024年1月29日下午14:00港湾金融大讲堂第一期旅美散记(26):花开花落都美丽撸卡大佬们,我需要国泰机票。我现在有Amex 15万点和Capital One venture 的点DSW上有Luxury Event,额外60% off,价格超好我和老爸强强联手改变了老姐的毕业志愿 (下)咱家今天过双十节Dulwich College International tops IB results table in China默克尔余毒感恩与执念Equipement 有75折Fall Event, 今年新上的真丝衬衫很好看,有件很好看的蓝色折上折
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。