Redian新闻
>
另类的退休生活:Real Estate Is Your 401K (WSJ)

另类的退休生活:Real Estate Is Your 401K (WSJ)

蓬莱阁21
楼主 (文学城)

Wall Street isn’t the only road to retirement. Some prefer an investment with a bit more curb appeal: real estate is their 401(k).

These retirees say they feel more secure building a nest egg that has walls, doors and kitchens. Though many people count on the stock market to fund their future life, real-estate retirees prefer the steady rental income and tax breaks of being landlords. Some enjoy rehabilitating properties.

A 10th of households in the U.S. with someone 65 or older earned rental income in 2022, compared with 7% of households of people under 65, according to an analysis of Federal Reserve data by Boston College’s Center for Retirement Research.

Holding real estate does mean work in retirement. Rental units sometimes sit vacant. Urgent repairs and tenants who miss payments or cause damage bring headaches. From property taxes to insurance, the costs of owning property are also rising. 

“If you’re a landlord, it can be difficult to feel like you’re truly retired,” said Daniel Johnson, a financial planner in Winston-Salem, N.C., who specializes in retirees with multiple real-estate holdings. 

Real-estate retirees say the rewards outweigh the risks. Many who are retiring on real estate today benefited from decades of home price appreciation and locked in low mortgage rates.

Bottfeld said he feels safer with real estate than stocks. Real estate is also a good inflation hedge, said Bottfeld, who has raised rents in recent years to keep up with rising homeownership costs.

He currently has 14 units in seven buildings, including three rentals on the San Diego property he shares with his husband, Brent Butler, 60. He pays property managers from 6% to 10% of the rent to find and vet tenants and perform maintenance.

“I could be making a lot more money if I were managing them myself,” he said. “But I don’t want to be bothered.” 

Bottfeld estimates he has home equity of $8 million, net of mortgages. He has mortgages on four properties with fixed interest rates of around 3.5%.

Another $4.8 million sits in stocks and other investments, including three-month to 12-month bridge loans to house flippers that pay 8% to 15%. To protect against default, he takes liens on borrowers’ properties.

On average each month, Bottfeld said he earns about $20,000 in rents, $8,000 from bridge loans, and $3,200 in Social Security.

He and Butler have monthly expenses of about $10,000, not including business expenses, such as the mortgages. They rise around 5 a.m., go to the gym, and take their dog, Biscuit, on walks. Bottfeld often meets friends for lunch. The couple is taking a Danube River cruise this summer. 

“I’m a saver and am very frugal,” Bottfeld said. “But at some point you realize you are going to have enough.”

https://www.wsj.com/personal-finance/real-estate-landlord-income-retirement-881c8c37?mod=hp_lead_pos7

蓬莱阁21
2 楼
四个例子,总体上喜忧参半。钱多事也多
laoshi48104
3 楼
我今早上也读了。正在和家人讨论呢。
caren
4 楼
早就这么做了。工作时想放满401k,老婆说房子就是我们的401k,所以开始始终放2-4%,

工作15年后,退休401K才80万。

hhtt
5 楼
那房产市值多少呢?能产生多少净现金流?
fox97
6 楼
房子保险,但是事多。各人取舍吧。我觉得10M以上取stock market
laoshi48104
7 楼
也可以直接投real estate as IRA-self directed IRA

今早看了以上文章,和孩子们讨论self-directed IRa; another good method for young investor.

福虎
8 楼
工资很高啊
caren
9 楼
Gross大概55万、net大概30-35万吧

日常生活基本够了。

caren
10 楼
得。公司match 8%
福虎
11 楼
牛!日常花30-35万!!!
相关阅读
标普500的历史回报率到底有多恐怖?退休 131-熊掌与鱼(2)玫瑰和第三任傅家明的感情感觉很突兀。认识也没久就那么深的感情了?回国下个高德地图真的好用夏芳专栏 | 在美国,如何让自己有个安心的退休生活(二)APAD:Walnuts and pears you plant for your heirsCNBC上列的最贵10个学校,包括所有花费哥大4年需要50万和苏牧、方外居士[风过桃园也带尘]OpenAI releases real【浣溪沙】楼上轻寒接四围The real luxury in life is a morning cup of coffee while我们州大学费一万左右,当时也录了学费半价的私校。后来全费去了一个LAC。非洲裔用公司名义租房住进来之后搞squatter right怎么破?2024年6月29-7月3日广州林文采萨提亚模式专业证书课程 Level one(二阶,可插班)请大家帮我看看老板说” I have increased your hourly wage"是什么意思?不是说要取消real estate agents的中介费吗?什么时候开始执行?想等出来了好卖房啊。Estate 购买经历2024年6月22-23日长沙邵歆然导师《关系智慧工作坊》每天学一句英语台词|​Are you out of your mind?玫瑰的人生就是众星捧月的存在,各类帅哥献殷勤、高知父母保镖哥嫂富豪老板呵护、奥迪LV麦当劳赞助的人生。江景湖景《走过咖啡屋》,碰到一位《寂寞的恋人》,,,链子生快哈!战争前后的少男少女们(十一)无论怎样评价玫瑰,她看上去有多少让人不解,但我还是喜欢她的劳柯| 我的一天(04/20/24,星期六)打开天窗说亮话退休 130-熊掌与鱼(1)更新一下:Fight for your right宾州詹金斯植物园(Jenkins Arboretum),色彩点缀【民生】在法国,舒适的退休生活需要多少钱?ERISA如何影响您的退休生活Chinese Parents Falling Prey to Dubious Myopia ‘Miracle Cures’我喜欢吃的青菜玫瑰的故事是如果有时间一定要看的剧,真的是什么样的观众看到什么样的内容。优势在我 | "What's your greatest strength?"夏芳专栏 | 在美国,如何让自己有个安心的退休生活(三)学习 I BondsEstate PlanningAPAD:Show me who your friends are, ...夏芳专栏 | 在美国,如何让自己有个安心的退休生活(一)
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。