Redian新闻
>
APAD: Teachers die, but books live on

APAD: Teachers die, but books live on

最西边的岛上
楼主 (文学城)

Not sure the origin of this proverb.  It means that books teach us wisdom of thousands of years. Teachers come and go, but books carry on. That’s why we can still access wisdom of greats such as Aristotle, Seneca, and Socrates nearly two thousand years after they walked on this planet (note Confucius was even longer).

No disrespect to teachers, as that is one of the most meaningful professions in my view. But books are immortal and last much longer than any of us.

I was an avid reader when I was young and I truly appreciated that. So I wanted the same for my son when he was young.  Anywhere we lived, be it a rental or our own house, I always made sure there was a public library nearby in walking distance so my son could spend lots of his free time there. That seems to have worked, as he once said: "I can't live without books, I read like a sponge suck in water."

In modern times as it is now, people are always so busy and there are so many temptations around, that young (or not too young ;-) may spend more time on their phones than on books, which might be a drawback in human progress. 

Sorry I might be boring you, but “Once you learn to read, you will be forever free.” - Frederick Douglas

Happy (another) Monday!

移花接木
2 楼
Book! How human civilization inherited. 听到过一个老师说他在这 business
移花接木
3 楼
三十多年。嘿嘿 business is business
最西边的岛上
4 楼
1 can see further by standing upon shoulders of giants ;-)
移花接木
5 楼
灾难电影The day after tomorrow 场景。几个人躲进纽约公共图书馆,乞丐教其他人如何在低温中生存,
移花接木
6 楼
烧书取暖,有些书不能烧,如果人类文明在这次灾难中消失,这些书是在未来人类文明的延续
移花接木
7 楼
当然也不忘黑一把人类社会,先争论半天尼采能不能烧,然后找到认为最可以烧的书-----税法,哈哈哈哈
最西边的岛上
8 楼
remember thatScene2, in aLibraryFull ofWooden furniture;-)))

they could burn a couple chairs, use the tax books as kindling

7grizzly
9 楼
Douglas also said knowledge makes a man unfit to be a slave.
7grizzly
10 楼
He must have really felt it.
7grizzly
11 楼
It sounds like I'd better watch it(pun intended) :-)
最西边的岛上
12 楼
4sure! he had aFascinating life being a runaway slave &
最西边的岛上
13 楼
helped 400+ runaway slaves later (with his wife) !
妖妖灵
14 楼
Wow,sounds like“孟母三迁”!Thumbs up!!!
妖妖灵
15 楼
The spirits of teachers are permament via books.
妖妖灵
16 楼
I also appreciate teacher‘s help. I started to learn to swim
妖妖灵
17 楼
with a coach yesterday!She‘s amazing!I hope I can swim soon!
最西边的岛上
18 楼
Good 4 U! I was forced to jumo into deepEnd b4 know how ;-))
相关阅读
APAD: Simple but not too simple太阳当空照,跑道对我笑How Loveable Losers Took Over China’s ScreensAPAD: Nothing is certain but death and taxes(古詩英譯)惠崇春江晚景 – (其二)苏轼Said "YES"长篇小说连载《此世,此生》第六十一章五【童心依然】《小小贝壳》Her Boyfriend Killed Himself. The Internet Blamed Her.惊闻发小被留置,兼说腐败和出身跌爬滚打也二三十年了,一直搞不懂割韭菜是啥个意思?也许有点Not Young But Naive,大虎加拿大打冰球live edge walnut dinning table马聚,以色列会攻击伊朗本土作为还击钙片看来真的不能随便乱吃了APAD: Curiosity killed the cat, but老烟记事(422) 铁丝篓看到隔壁年轻中年100万收入贴想到 die with zeroHow a Student’s Fake Exercise Book Broke the Chinese Internet《盛夏光年(live in the sky)》汤勺干嘛要卷?我们留学吃苦不是为了下一代有躺平的资本?Al厉害的地方是能够自我学习,自我提高,而且速度越来越快。2024年6月22-23日长沙邵歆然导师《关系智慧工作坊》Off the Books: Inside the Struggle to Save China’s Preschools[旅游] Día de la Independencia | 2017年9月游墨西哥城第3-4天simple naive trust-bi-racious marriage[掌设] Macbook Air 15 m2 对比Thinkbook14+ 2024款8845h难搞!BrooksBrothers布克兄弟,美国总统喜欢的牌子,难得有折扣In China, Starbucks Feels the Heat From Homegrown Coffee Chains如何评判六四【七律】 周末打球球场到处是积水有题请大家给我泼点冷水伊朗真的反美反以吗?体验《歌手》Moore 赢孙楠,学唱《拯救》《破球 wrecking ball》(古詩英譯)惠崇春江晚景 (其一) - 蘇軾我和爱美丽的六一儿童节国内旅居两月察觉到的健康问题和临时对策2024年6月29-7月3日广州林文采萨提亚模式专业证书课程 Level one(二阶,可插班)文科生
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。