Redian新闻
>
APAD:Don't dish it if you can't take it

APAD:Don't dish it if you can't take it

移花接木
楼主 (文学城)
Do not dish it if you can’t take it

The phrase  dish something out  is an informal expression

: to give or say things to people without thinking about them carefully

:to give or serve food to people.

Think twice before handing out your advice and criticism to others even when it is not asked for or wanted (and that can be upsetting for them),  for someone tries to give you advice, would you get upset and protest and complain ?  If you don’t like people telling you what’s what, maybe you should stop doing it to others.

Another expression is “you can dish it out, but not take it”. If someone is rude, but gets upset with someone else is rude to him or her, that is an example of being able to dish it out, but not take it. It is a form of hypocrisy.

here is an example from Quora by author Liza V. :

A former friend of mine, we were friends for 15 years had a habit of poking fun at me. Small things. I never mirrored her back, I just laughed along with her at my expense. Deep down I knew, if I did the same to her; she’d have a mental breakdown. We took a vacation together, and I rented a car; I didn’t want to be stuck with her all the time because she was a bit high energy. When I drive, I like to focus on the road and not entertain the people I’m driving by talking. She said something off putting to me at a red light. I wanted to shut her up and I dished out the same words she spilled on me towards her. She sulked all night and I shut her up.

最西边的岛上
2 楼
we R all weeds, no one is more important thanAnyone else
最西边的岛上
3 楼
so bestNot 2 giveAdvice whenNot beingAsked, period.
妖妖灵
4 楼
己所不欲,勿施于人
最西边的岛上
5 楼
下一句是:“在邦不怨,在家不怨” ;)
暖冬cool夏
6 楼
“Blurt out” might be a synonym.
7grizzly
7 楼
A great reminder: I shouldn't dish out what I cannot take.
7grizzly
8 楼
What does that mean? Wherever you are, don't complain?
移花接木
9 楼
Heard long time ago. But I thought was pitch&take
移花接木
10 楼
Like a pair play pitch&catch baseball
最西边的岛上
11 楼
more like no whining ;-) 上面4句话是孔子解释“仁”的意思时说的。“邦”=国家,“家”=封地
最西边的岛上
12 楼
大概就是“好好为老板干活,不许抱怨”的意思吧 ;-))
7grizzly
13 楼
Okay. There goes my best pastime:-)))
7grizzly
14 楼
Not sure but as long as one can slurp it back in ... :-)))
最西边的岛上
15 楼
sorry;) but it's fault ofConfucius, whoDishedOut 2MuchAdvice
7grizzly
16 楼
Yes. That old windy scalawag should hold his tongue :-)
移花接木
17 楼
80%相似度
移花接木
18 楼
Giving advice accordingly
移花接木
19 楼
Somewhat related, maybe
相关阅读
simple naive trust-bi-racious marriage【If You Love Her】从维护法律公正的角度来讲,辛普森被判无罪比定罪更有意义。2025QS最佳留学城市排名发布!英国伦敦蝉联榜首!波士顿仍是美国最佳留学城市!黄仁勋 · 加州理工2024届毕业典礼演讲 | 2024年6月14日(全文+视频)老烟记事(422) 铁丝篓《 Can't Help Falling in Love》by 蜀风雅韵【七律】 周末打球球场到处是积水有题所有”工作”都有可能被AI取代,医生也好,律师也好,工程师也好,但AI取代不了APAD:Walnuts and pears you plant for your heirs惊闻发小被留置,兼说腐败和出身唱《Yesterday Once More 》献给美语坛版主,盈盈,Missing you原创英文歌:Beside You【瓜】老提家房顶之谜有解了!Take my breath away 时刻[旅游] Día de la Independencia | 2017年9月游墨西哥城第3-4天【星坛综艺会11期】暖场 “Need You Now”,综艺会即将开始, 此刻需要你APAD:Never bite the hand that feeds you大虎加拿大打冰球伊朗真的反美反以吗?Makers鲲鹏周行事历 | 06月24日-06月30日【You belong to me】,,,蹭个热度,双蟹生快!APAD:You are what you think.“You Mean Everything to Me” 送给美丽大方温暖的知音丽丽!歌唱的路上有你真好!2024年6月22-23日长沙邵歆然导师《关系智慧工作坊》有故事值得拍的老留原来是有的,楼下提到的有些人我以前不知道。能拍当然是越多越好。不过上次有人说了每天一则英语笑话:did you close your garage door 啥意思?每天学一句英语台词|​Are you out of your mind?(古詩英譯)惠崇春江晚景 (其一) - 蘇軾重磅!2024年中澳青少年音乐节来袭!8月4日奏响悉尼歌剧院!乐响青春,韵起芳华!还有中国赛区选拔赛评委阵容等你来揭秘!用跑步纪念生命定格在35年前的一位清华学子马聚,以色列会攻击伊朗本土作为还击祝贺择木而栖担任版主!Need You Now!【唱响五四】《Do you hear people sing?》 法国佬墙裂支援五四青年!2024年6月美国移民排期更新(古詩英譯)惠崇春江晚景 – (其二)苏轼汤勺APAD: Don't upset the applecart独家95折 l 欧阳娜娜2024 Nana Ouyang's Graduation Tour 5月4日多伦多场次正式起售美公民 Don’t Have Right to Bring Noncitizen Spouses to U.S.
logo
联系我们隐私协议©2024 redian.news
Redian新闻
Redian.news刊载任何文章,不代表同意其说法或描述,仅为提供更多信息,也不构成任何建议。文章信息的合法性及真实性由其作者负责,与Redian.news及其运营公司无关。欢迎投稿,如发现稿件侵权,或作者不愿在本网发表文章,请版权拥有者通知本网处理。